Our website family:  ClubCivic.com - ClubIntegra.com - TunerSports.com

SEARCH: Forums | Parts
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic.com, a forum dedicated to the Honda Civic, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will intitle you to other site features including access to post your Honda Civic in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

How to: Wheel Stud Repacement 96-00 Civic

Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Black Magic
I'm Rick James, b****

Default How to: Wheel Stud Repacement 96-00 Civic

This DIY will walk you through how to replace your wheel studs and install wheel spacers. Its pretty straight forward but I couldn't find a DIY when I did mine, so I decided to post one. I needed wheel spacers and extended studs on the front wheels because I recently installed a new brake kit and need more clearance for my rims to clear the calipers. I didn't want to remove the entire hub and press out the studs so I used the alternative method by using a hammer to bump out the studs and washers to press in the new ones.

These are the wheel studs and wheel spacers that I bought:
http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo....ber=HR30245616

All you need are a few things:
- 17mm socket
- socket wrench and/or torque wrench
- philips screwdriver
- hammer
- a handful of washers
- rotor cleaner (optional)

1) Start by putting bricks behind/in front your wheels, loosening your lug nuts and placing the car on jack stands.

2) You need to take off the caliper and rotor in order to pop out the studs. Start be removing the brake calipers by removing the two 17mm nuts. I used a empty bodyfiller can to hold the caliper so I don't have to disconnect the brake line.

3) Now with the caliper removed you can take off your rotor. Use a philips screwdriver to remove the two screws. You may need to use an impact drill if they're not coming off.

4) Turn the hub so there is enough room for the first stud to come out without hitting any obstacles. You will be hammering it out.

5) Using a hammer, bump out the first stud. You might need to put some muscle into it if you're a b****. I didn't have much trouble popping them out. Alternatively, you can choose to cut it off if you don't have enough room.

6) You can try putting in the new studs by just hammering them back in, but I didn't want to risk wrecking the thread since there isn't much room and even moreso since the new studs I was using were 15mm longer. So I decided to grind off part of the nut at the end. I've read on some other sites about people doing this so I thought I'd give it a try... I found it to work like a charm.

Here you can see the difference between the old and new studs:

7) With the new stud now partially grinded, it slides in quite easily and you don't have to worry about ruining the thread. Don't push it in all the way.

8) I put enough washers on the stud to leave just about enough room for the stock lug nuts. Then I put on the lug nut and twisted it on, thus pressing the new stud into the hub. I used a metal pole to keep the hub from turning while I tightened the lug not. Be careful not to over tighten as to not ruin the thread. You'll know the stud is steated correctly just by looking at the back of the hub.

9) BAM! now you've replaced one stud. Like I said, pretty straight forward

10) Now repeat steps 4-8 on the remaining studs.

11) Once all the studs have been replaced you can put you can re-assemble everything buy putting the rotor, caliper and wheel back on and you're done. In my case, I also put on some spacers. The ones I got were hubcentric which I think is important. First, put your rotor back on and tighten the two philip screws your removed. Next, simply slide on your new spacers and use a hammer (I used a rubber one) to seat it in the centre correctly.

12) Anytime I touch my rotors I like to clean them.

13) Now reinstall your brake caliper and you can put your wheels back on. I had to Torque the 17mm caliper nuts to 47 ft-lbs but yours might be different. When putting on your wheels, tighten them in a star pattern while the car is still on jack stands and after you lower the car to the ground, torque them to 80 ft-lbs. As you can see, I now have enough thread on the stud to safely install my wheels while also clearing the calipers with some extra room!

14) Repeat the same steps to any other wheels.

Before:

After:

Hope this might one day help someone who snaps a stud or wants to install new ones.

My ride:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=167266
Black Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
s_crowley 17

Good write up sticky this
s_crowley 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Billy.
♪♪ ♫♪ ♪♫♪ ♪♪ ♫♫ ♪

good writeup, and good pics. you didnt clearly explain why you had to grind down the stud head though
Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
forcdincivic
Needs More Snail

nice job man! good for the newbs and people who arent as mechanically inclined.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Black Magic
I'm Rick James, b****

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenkid18 View Post
good writeup, and good pics. you didnt clearly explain why you had to grind down the stud head though
ty. My bad. basically, I grinded part of the studs so they go in easier. That way you don't risk deforming the thread.

My ride:
Old 07-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Mr. Lin
Admiral Ackbar

nice write-up.
nice brakes.
wtf wheels.
Mr. Lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Black Magic
I'm Rick James, b****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lin View Post
nice write-up.
nice brakes.
wtf wheels.
haha. thanks, but i like the wheels. Just wish they made them in 16's.

My ride: