Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Replace thermostat?

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Dough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Replace thermostat?

Hi, I've noticed that my car takes a long time to warm up these days, I drive ~32 km (20 miles) a day to work, let the car warm up for a minute or two before i start moving. I park in a garage overnight, on the colder days, roughly -10 degrees celcius (sorry don't know that in Fahrenheit) or lower, the car doesn't warm up by the time i get to work, its barely moved from where it is when it is off.

The car is a stock 99 dx, no mods. I read/heard someone saying replacing the thermostat would help the car warm up. Is this true? Is there a write up on this? How much would the parts be?

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
Civic2007

yup......sounds like your thermostat is stuck open
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
xxsenceo89x
aka superman

follow the upper radiator hose from the radiator. take off the hose on the motor side and take a look. dont try to take it off the radiator side or the radiator might break.

11second turboD16 attempt 2...
Cheap, Fast and reliable.. I got all 3
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

The part runs about $20-$30 (USD) inc. tax. The job takes less than 30 minutes to do. I changed mine last week. My car used to take more than 30 minutes to warm up in this freezing weather. Now it only takes 7 minutes to fully warm up .

I wrote a quick How-To. No pictures are necessary. It's straight forward.
http://projectjaydem.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472

New to ClubCivic? Click Me!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
knightxrider1

i boought a $6 dollar one from advanced. no problems w my cheapo.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Dough

thanks for the help thus far, i got a few more noob questions:

should i be worried about air bubbles in the cooling system after?
where would i top off coolant mixture? rad or overflow bottle?
how easy is it to have leaks? I am worried i will mess up something when putting it all back
lastly, i dont need to get under the car at all except put something to catch the coolant that drips out... right?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dough View Post
thanks for the help thus far, i got a few more noob questions:

should i be worried about air bubbles in the cooling system after?
where would i top off coolant mixture? rad or overflow bottle?
how easy is it to have leaks? I am worried i will mess up something when putting it all back
lastly, i dont need to get under the car at all except put something to catch the coolant that drips out... right?
No need to worry about air bubbles if you're just changing the t-stat.

Top off coolant in radiator cap.

You can't mess anything up when changing the t-stat unless you take a hammer or sledge hammer to something. It's separate from the radiator. If you do, I highly suggest not working on your car anymore.

Correct.

New to ClubCivic? Click Me!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
Civic2007

there should be a bleeder screw somewhere near the thermostat.....im not positive on that but i know for a fact there is one on 94-95 tegs so you should have one......when you refill use 50/50......if you find a bleeder screw then have the engine running and turn your heater on then loosen the screw until all the air is out and tighten it back up....
Old 02-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Billy.
Has returned ;-)

so far the coldest ive cranked my motor on was about 3*C. from there it takes about 15-20minutes to reach 85*C. during warmer weather it goes from like 15*C to 88*C in about 15minutes flat. are you properly warming up in the morning? you should let it idle for a few minutes before you hit the road

when i replaced my tstat and radiator it was as simple as filling up the reservoir, then the radiator, and cranking up the motor with the heat fully on. no bleeding required

iTrader Profile
Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #10
Civic2007

i recommend bleeding it.....the air bubbles can put cracks in your block....better safe than sorry
Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Dough

i usually let it up warm up until idle rpm slows to the ~750 rpm nromal rpm... it idles higher when its cold.

Usual morning routine is:
Turn on, wait ~20 seconds, back out onto driveway using reverse, put back in park, get out sort the garbage or w/e in the garage (bad to leave idling car in garage, pushes CO2 into the house), close the garage and sit in the civic for a bit, if it doesnt begin to idle at 750 rpm, i drive softly to the main roads, and sometimes it doesnt even warm up enough to drop to the 750 rpm idle, when i stop at the lights i put it in neutral to let it spin freely... other days i drive normal as it warms up.

Its ridiculous tho, I drive ~45 minutes on a busy highway and the car still doesnt get to ideal operating temp (middle of temp guage), usually fluctuates below 1/4....

I gotta try doing the thermostat thing, but worried about the bleeding thing now :s
Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Billy.
Has returned ;-)

i actually think the bleeding thing depends on which motor and year you have. i couldnt find a bleed screw anywhere when i changed out my tstat. the tstat itself actually have a little hole on the rim of the housing with a screw like plug inside of it. im thinking the thermostat itself automatically bled air out of the system. other tstats that ive looked at were lacking that hole

the screw that says BLEED BOLT was non existent on my thermo housing

iTrader Profile

Last edited by Billy.; 02-21-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
Dough

my d16y7 doesnt have the bleeder bolt according to the service manual or by visual inspection.... i gotta do this still, only problem is i dont have any of the parts and tomorrow is sunday ... d'oh!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
Dough

I finally did this, getting at those bolts is a b**** when you have a cheapo socket set and ratchet! I got it done in about an 1 hour. opening and closing the housing is where i spent most of my time!

I took some pics of the old thermostat, one of the rubber seals is torn up. Here's some pics

Now i just gotta monitor my coolant levels, I didn't flush the entire system as it was done a few months ago. I filled up the reservoir to the max mark and let the engine run for 15-20 min, drove to a store nearby and back, let it run, checked the level, it was still where I had filled it up to. I warmed up the car 9 hours later (warms up alot quicker ~10 min and it was almost at half on the gauge, its -4*C or 24*F outside) checked the coolant levels and it had gone down a bit, so i topped back up to the full mark. Now i just gotta monitor it for a few days.

Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by Dough; 03-01-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add some content
Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
matt9112

hey would my thermo be the problem if my car has no heat? never had heat?
ive emoved the Ac but i would like the heat