Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Generations Tech > 8th Generation Honda Civic (2006-2011)

Notices

8th Generation Honda Civic (2006-2011) 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 honda civic coupe, sedan, si

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

8th Gen. Factory Radio Problem...anybody?

8th Generation Honda Civic (2006-2011)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
sarahsbluecivic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 8th Gen. Factory Radio Problem...anybody?

Proud new owner of a stock 06 Civic w/ 55k miles. The radio certainly has a problem though, hoping that just maybe someone else has had a similar issue: The radio sort of cuts off and on, even when tuned to strong station(s). It's not individual speakers, it's all speakers at once (fade/balance has no effect). When on AM, if I turn volume way up, I can just barely hear it....on FM it sounds much better, but still cuts out for no apparent reason. Often the volume increases or decreases dramatically too, also for no apparent reason (both AM & FM). Haven't tried any remedy yet, have only had car 3 days. Likely, I may need to get to the back of the radio....boy, taking apart that dash looks to be a big ordeal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.... Sarah
sarahsbluecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
veca1987
I.T. SOHC i-VTEC

Well the reason why it the sound is going up and down because it has a feature built into the radio itself to reduce road noise the faster you drive. But what it seems like that you probably need a new Radio...Very odd Though... :\
veca1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
GETxERxDONE

does the car have tint? if it does, its prob a metallic tint that is interfering with the antenna which is in the rear window.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Tom
honda.co.jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETxERxDONE View Post

does the car have tint? if it does, its prob a metallic tint that is interfering with the antenna which is in the rear window.
eh, yes for remote transmitted items, such as keyless entry, however the tint will not effect the radio antenna in the glass, cause teh tint is not blocking or rather not in between the glass and antenna, but on teh inside of both, also the antenna is still wired from the glass to the front of the car, so this would not effect it since the signal is still snt by wire, not transmitted through the air inside of the car.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
GETxERxDONE

i will have to disagree. ask any tint shop if metallic tint will enterfere with radio/GPS
Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Tom
honda.co.jp

your entitled to your opinion, but tint shop's don't know about anything more the the transmitter parts, hell even honda says that about electronically transmitted signals can possibly be lost, such as remote starts, keyless entry, and remotely operated parts, but a radio antenna signal is not the same since it captures the signal outside of the car and then sneds it via cable to the radio, not by air waves.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
GETxERxDONE

right, but if you stick a giant sheet of metal next to it, it intereferes with the signal coming in. not after it gets to the antenna.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Tom
honda.co.jp

good thing that tint isn't made from metal then.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
veca1987
I.T. SOHC i-VTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
good thing that tint isn't made from metal then.
If it would be...that would have sucked though. Anyway............i think a solution to the problem would probably just to get a new factory radio or any aftermarket ones. Thats the only thing that i could think of. I had the same problem with my old car and an aftermarket radio. I would lose signal, sometimes not even play CD's. So just get yourself like 100 dollar CD or MP3 capable player and you should be set.
veca1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Tom
honda.co.jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by veca1987 View Post
If it would be...that would have sucked though. Anyway............i think a solution to the problem would probably just to get a new factory radio or any aftermarket ones. Thats the only thing that i could think of. I had the same problem with my old car and an aftermarket radio. I would lose signal, sometimes not even play CD's. So just get yourself like 100 dollar CD or MP3 capable player and you should be set.
that in my opinion and experience over the years working for honda is that the oem audio units really do suck,besides the screens going dark, they loose signal, or the volume doesn't go up or down, or even better some snot nose kid sticks quarters in them and our service department will warranty it, lol, douchbags, lol.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Ty's Si
Newb to the Import scene

Sounds to me like you should listen to the guy that works for honda and either take the car in and see what the warranty will do or just buy yourself a new radio. No offense to the other party that had commented.
Ty's Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
deora68

I know this is an old post, but I have searched through the forums for a similiar problem. I just bought a 2006 civic lx and the radio reception sucks. The cd player works fine with good sound quality, but when you go to am or fm there is a lot of interference. Fm is not terrible but the sound is buzzy. Am really sucks. My back glass is tinted though. Is there anything I can do for better reception? I want to keep everything stock if possible...Thanks in advance!
deora68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #13
GETxERxDONE

they probably used a metallic tint for the back window, which killed reception. get it removed and see if it fixes the problem, if it does, get some ceramic put back on.