Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Generations Tech > 7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005)

Notices

7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 honda civic coupe, sedan, hatchback si

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

overheat engine problem solved 2001 civic civics

7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
erbilabuc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default overheat engine problem solved 2001 civic civics

Ok so there are a few (more like a lot) of us 01 civic owners that have the misterious overheat problem. I have troubleshooting this problem on my 2001 civic ex with 80,000 miles since January of 2008 which was when the problem started. I went from big and obvious all the way into small and complex.

I replaced the thermostat, water pump, coolant temperature sensor, radiator, radiator hoses, overflow bottle and then came to the conclusion that I was cursed and decided since none of these fixed the problem that I would just put the old stock parts back in and get my money back.

I have figured out that the overheating is caused by too much water in the coolant mixture and a deteriorating radiator cap. The radiator cap will work good enough to keep liquid in but as soon as the system pressurizes and the water boils (due to too much water in the mixture), the steam will leak out causing your coolant level to go low and overheating your engine and also cooking the radiator cap gasket.

REPLACE YOUR RADIATOR CAP AND mix your coolant 75% antifreeze/ 25% water
erbilabuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Chris.
Stickin' it to the man

i never mixed 50/50 i usually fill the radiator with 50/50 then just add straight antifreeze after that. this is on a dry engine though. i havent touched my antifreeze in my 02 since i got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ6Civic27
No way its stock...its gotta be boosted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank24
Ridin' with no tint so the motherf***ers know it's me
bng b0ng : I don't understand teh online talk, "fit = couch".
bng b0ng : care to elaborate?
DANK : no
bng b0ng : lol alright, thanks
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
av3fenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbilabuc View Post
Ok so there are a few (more like a lot) of us 01 civic owners that have the misterious overheat problem. I have troubleshooting this problem on my 2001 civic ex with 80,000 miles since January of 2008 which was when the problem started. I went from big and obvious all the way into small and complex.

I replaced the thermostat, water pump, coolant temperature sensor, radiator, radiator hoses, overflow bottle and then came to the conclusion that I was cursed and decided since none of these fixed the problem that I would just put the old stock parts back in and get my money back.

I have figured out that the overheating is caused by too much water in the coolant mixture and a deteriorating radiator cap. The radiator cap will work good enough to keep liquid in but as soon as the system pressurizes and the water boils (due to too much water in the mixture), the steam will leak out causing your coolant level to go low and overheating your engine and also cooking the radiator cap gasket.

REPLACE YOUR RADIATOR CAP AND mix your coolant 75% antifreeze/ 25% water

Hi, thanks a lot for your input, I really appreciate it.

Would you care to point some more tips about it? like the amount necessary , and the right way to drain the old mixture out and replace? I've personally been using water for a long time, with little to none coolant every now and then, but I'm not sure the amounts I should use, sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for this info erbilabuc.
av3fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
jono237

i always just buy the premixed bc yea im that lazy and im always worried ill screw it up somehow
jono237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
jonathan2006
D17A2 User

i have also had this problem and found this

that our cars dont use the normal amount of oil, they use less
and when in the high rpms the oil doesnt get back down to the bottom of the block fast enough
this also causes it to overheat

Facebook
My Build Thread
jonathan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Dakota
Canuck Civic driver

Here's the problem with mixing coolant at anything other than a 50/50 mix . Anti freeze is designed to work with water to raise the boing point and lower the freezing point . Both on their own do not work very well , but together they work great . The mixture percentage changes the properties of the mixture , with the optimal mixture being a perfect 50/50 . With any other percentage , you lower the boiling point and raise the freezing point .