Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Symptoms of a bad wheel bearing?

Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #1
guitar_adam2000
Alcohol ab-User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Symptoms of a bad wheel bearing?

Just noticed an odd noise from the front of my car the other day, was doin about 50. Initially i thought it was my intake but when i let off the gas and coast the noise continues. Sounds a bit like a fan going fast then slow, like VVVVVvvvvvvVVVVVVvvvv (buts its defo not the fan b4 anyone suggests that)

Tracking seems fine and tires look okay, there's no grinding or clonking, any way of checking if it is the wheel bearing without simply replacing it and hoping thats whats wrong?
guitar_adam2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
DetainedCivic
I haz SR20

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_adam2000 View Post
Just noticed an odd noise from the front of my car the other day, was doin about 50. Initially i thought it was my intake but when i let off the gas and coast the noise continues. Sounds a bit like a fan going fast then slow, like VVVVVvvvvvvVVVVVVvvvv (buts its defo not the fan b4 anyone suggests that)

Tracking seems fine and tires look okay, there's no grinding or clonking, any way of checking if it is the wheel bearing without simply replacing it and hoping thats whats wrong?
Usually with a bad wheel bearing, if you have the car in gear (5spd), jack just one side up. If the wheel has any play in it, you could suspect a bad wheel bearing. Usually what I do is just pull the wheel off and then expect from there. They are fairly cheap to replace and a good idea if you don't have an idea how long they have been on the car.

Other then that, the noise you describe can be a number of things if it's not the wheel bearing.
DetainedCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
drekoe

about how "cheap" would it be to replace the two front wheel bearings? and is it easy to do? if it is, i might do it myself
drekoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Solid_Snake
Te mato con mi VTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drekoe View Post
about how "cheap" would it be to replace the two front wheel bearings? and is it easy to do? if it is, i might do it myself
it is simple but you need a hydraulic press to press the hub out of the knuckle which then let you get to the bearing.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Ian123

i was quoted at $97 for my rear wheel bearing. and you'll know if its the wheel bearing. it will make an annoying whining noise
Ian123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
2000sicivic

Paid 250 for honda to change my front one, just jack your car up and if you can move the wheel in all directions then it is the wheel bearing
2000sicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
98blackej6

jack up the and rmove the tire, the hub assembly should spin freely, any resistance at any point you need to replace the wheel bearing.
98blackej6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #8
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Try listening for the noise when you turn. When my front driver side wheel bearing went, I would hear this "wub wub wub" noise whenever I turned. Eventually, I felt the shaking in the steering wheel and heard it going straight as well.

I spent somewhere around $100 to get it fixed at a local shop.

New to ClubCivic? Click Me!!!

JohnS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #9
EM1FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Snake View Post
it is simple but you need a hydraulic press to press the hub out of the knuckle which then let you get to the bearing.
you can also buy/borrow s pecial tool that fits parway in the bearing. then you hit it with a really big hammer.

the press is more needed for putting the new bearing in.
EM1FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
guitar_adam2000
Alcohol ab-User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amej8 View Post
Try listening for the noise when you turn. When my front driver side wheel bearing went, I would hear this "wub wub wub" noise whenever I turned. Eventually, I felt the shaking in the steering wheel and heard it going straight as well.

I spent somewhere around $100 to get it fixed at a local shop.
Thought this thread had died, anyway being as its been brought back to life, i'm still having the problem, and yes it does make a wub wub wub sound when i turn in - its hard to tell which side its commin from though. Not felt any shaking through the steering wheel yet.
I've jacked up both wheels and there doesn't seem to be any play in either of em. I went out and bought the bearing a while ago but i've yet to get it fitted, I wanna make sure i identify the correct wheel first!
guitar_adam2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
drekoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_adam2000 View Post
I wanna make sure i identify the correct wheel first!
if you're gonna do it yourself, i'd say do both at the same time.

i was doing some research and found that it might be my wheel bearing or wheel hub. let me explain and you guys let me know what you think. as i take off from a stop, if i accelerate normal, it makes no noise. if i step on it alittle bit more than normal, it makes that annoying screeching sound. makes the noise in all gears only if i step on it. if i let off the gas, the noise goes away. there is no wub wub sound at all when turning. had both axles replaced due to torn boots a while back. the annoying sound only comes from right side.
drekoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Vespabretta

Default Honda civic bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by drekoe View Post
The humming sound from the front is 90% front bearing gne bad. You can't do it on your own,you need a hydraulic press to do it to push the old one out and the new one in,but not an expensive process .
Bearing for honda civic 2007model is (my car) DAC4378W-1(Koyo bearing) remember its for front wheel.both wheels of front have same bearings.
The humming noise will definitely do away.
The bearing alone cost me 35$/wheel or 2000 Indian rupees.
The car is running like a charm now,no noise.
Vespabretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespabretta View Post
The humming sound from the front is 90% front bearing gne bad. You can't do it on your own,you need a hydraulic press to do it to push the old one out and the new one in,but not an expensive process .
Bearing for honda civic 2007model is (my car) DAC4378W-1(Koyo bearing) remember its for front wheel.both wheels of front have same bearings.
This thread is 5 years old. The OP has likely fixed the problem.
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
drmgmenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespabretta View Post
Hi, can you let me know where you got the bearings changed?at dealer they are quoting around 16K.thanks in advance.
drmgmenon is offline   Reply With Quote