Our website family:  ClubCivic.com - ClubIntegra.com - TunerSports.com

SEARCH: Forums | Parts
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic.com, a forum dedicated to the Honda Civic, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will intitle you to other site features including access to post your Honda Civic in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

LX to EX Headers Legal Question

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
jdrames

Question LX to EX Headers Legal Question

I am doing a Headers/Exhaust swap on my 01 Civic LX so that it can run EX exhaust.
Backstory is pretty much that I took my car to the shop for an SRS light issue and while there they informed me that there was a Crack in the exhaust manifold. For them to fix it, it was going to cost $1700.

After a little research I found out for around $500 I could do a full exhaust swap from Headers to Catback exhaust. My question though is: would the car remain street legal with the following things installed/modifications.

Megan Headers 4-1 > Random Tech B-Pipe with Cat-Converter > EX catback exhaust
(o2 Sensors extended for changes of Cat-Converter locations)

The idea with that setup was that being that on the LX the exhaust manifold had the cat-converter in it, and I cant take that out and remain street legal/pass emissions testing in Maryland. So I was simply moving the Cat-Converter to the B-pipe and going to extend the o2 sensors as needed. My concern though is that the Megan Headers aren't listed as street legal. But I can not see how these would have a change on the emissions. I'd understand if I just replaced the manifold with the headers and didn't have a cat-converter and ran test pipes. But thats not the case.

I'm not looking for performance boosts really. I just want the car to be fixed and not pay huge amounts of overhead from the dealership. I also figured if I could I might as well replace some of the rusted out parts so I went with the idea of a full exhaust replacement.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
oddeb707
R.I.P Stephen Jackson

megan headers do not smog in CA

idk about PA

01' MSM IS300

Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Unuzual Kustum
4DR Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrames View Post
I am doing a Headers/Exhaust swap on my 01 Civic LX so that it can run EX exhaust.
Backstory is pretty much that I took my car to the shop for an SRS light issue and while there they informed me that there was a Crack in the exhaust manifold. For them to fix it, it was going to cost $1700.

After a little research I found out for around $500 I could do a full exhaust swap from Headers to Catback exhaust. My question though is: would the car remain street legal with the following things installed/modifications.

Megan Headers 4-1 > Random Tech B-Pipe with Cat-Converter > EX catback exhaust
(o2 Sensors extended for changes of Cat-Converter locations)

The idea with that setup was that being that on the LX the exhaust manifold had the cat-converter in it, and I cant take that out and remain street legal/pass emissions testing in Maryland. So I was simply moving the Cat-Converter to the B-pipe and going to extend the o2 sensors as needed. My concern though is that the Megan Headers aren't listed as street legal. But I can not see how these would have a change on the emissions. I'd understand if I just replaced the manifold with the headers and didn't have a cat-converter and ran test pipes. But thats not the case.

I'm not looking for performance boosts really. I just want the car to be fixed and not pay huge amounts of overhead from the dealership. I also figured if I could I might as well replace some of the rusted out parts so I went with the idea of a full exhaust replacement.

This isn't Brad is it? Either way..... It won't change emissions as long as you get the extensions for your 02 sensors.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Unuzual Kustum
4DR Sleeper

Here's a link to a website. They have multiple lengths of 02sensor extensions.

http://www.casperselectronics.com

Just click on the link and there is a SEARCH button. Click it and type in Honda into the search box. It will come up Honda 02 extensions. $25 a piece and you can flip them to suit you 02 plug being male or female. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
DarkCreep
D16Y8+T

$1700 to fix a exhaust manifold leak when a newer better one costs $50?
Wow, im pretty sure theyved raped a lot of people.

I need to do the EX cat mod too, but I want an actual EX cat, not aftermarket.

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT, YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT
Old 10-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
jdrames

I'm not so much worried about it failing emissions as much as it failing a saftey inspection.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Tkdtim1226

I live in maryland as well. The last time I had my emissions tested, all they did was plug in something under the dash, not test what was actually coming out of the tail pipe. I am no expert on how this works but I was told that pretty much, as long as your car is not throwing a code, you will pass emissions. Can anybody confirm or deny this.

Now, I need to have my emissions tested within the next month. If you want, I will let you know how it turns out. I can ask them when I'm up there, if they feel like talking about it.
Stage 2 camshaft with AEM Cam Gear, High Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust, AEM EMS... I could go on forever
Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Unuzual Kustum
4DR Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkdtim1226 View Post
I live in maryland as well. The last time I had my emissions tested, all they did was plug in something under the dash, not test what was actually coming out of the tail pipe. I am no expert on how this works but I was told that pretty much, as long as your car is not throwing a code, you will pass emissions. Can anybody confirm or deny this.

Now, I need to have my emissions tested within the next month. If you want, I will let you know how it turns out. I can ask them when I'm up there, if they feel like talking about it.

They plug into your OBD port to see if any codes are stored in you car or to see if a CEL is on. That way you can't just pull the bulb for the CEL and think you're getting away with it. They should check the exhaust at the tailpipe unless they've come up with a different way to figure out how much exhaust gas is being emitted......
Old 10-04-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
guerra

These regulations are tricky, New york is probably the same as most other states. What I know 99% for sure is that if your good in Cali, your good in other states, they are the strictest.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Tkdtim1226

So I got my emissions done. They checked my OBD for the CEL, as expected, and tested to see if my gas cap was pressurized. The guy told me unless I do something to modify my ECU, I won't fail my OBD test. Then again, this guy I talked to didn't sound like he had the greatest depth of knowledge. So go ahead guys, put on those stage 3 cam shafts and rock and roll. Just don't throw a CEL and you're fine.
Stage 2 camshaft with AEM Cam Gear, High Flow Cat, Magnaflow Exhaust, AEM EMS... I could go on forever
Old 10-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
vjf915

You should be fine putting a Megan header on in Maryland, it basically has the same specs as the stock one . Only DC is C.A.R.B. legal, but that only matters in Cali.