Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

97 Civic Window goes off track!!!!

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
19josh97
RaWr Vtexz

Default 97 Civic Window goes off track!!!!

Ok guys...I need some help here.. My windows keep falling off track! And even if they stay the top left of the window wont go into the seal I have to pull my window when I roll it up.
I have a 97 ex coupe. Any help???
Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Jbuck2KCivic

Put some lube on the window track and problem solved. It is very common for this to happen on 6th gen Civics.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
19josh97
RaWr Vtexz

On what track? Not the seals right?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
EK|B

Stolibears did a great write-up on this, search it in the How-Tos.
Hate you! ITS A RICK ROLL PEOPLE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicEXofD0om View Post
WTF is up with this rick roll s***??
And btw id hit that chick right in the face with my wing dang doodle.
Civic vs Skyline: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
highneo
Pi Lambda Phi

spray silicone on the tracks. you might have to remove the interior door panel, so that you can put the windows back on track though.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
19josh97
RaWr Vtexz

I have fixed it 4 times now. but it just wont stay in track. like towards the seatbelt side the window is out of the door.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Commodore
back again

The best thing to do is not to roll it down all the way. I've had to fix my window 6 times already, due to people rolling it down all the way (valets, mechanics, friends, etc). I usually leave it half-way open at most, so that the problem does not occur.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
EK|B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
The best thing to do is not to roll it down all the way. I've had to fix my window 6 times already, due to people rolling it down all the way (valets, mechanics, friends, etc). I usually leave it half-way open at most, so that the problem does not occur.
LOL I know how that is. Whenever someone rides with me, I always tell them not to roll down the window.
Hate you! ITS A RICK ROLL PEOPLE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicEXofD0om View Post
WTF is up with this rick roll s***??
And btw id hit that chick right in the face with my wing dang doodle.
Civic vs Skyline: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #9
Jbuck2KCivic

white lithium grease works good too
Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Bheims
Bustin windows outcha car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19josh97 View Post
I have fixed it 4 times now. but it just wont stay in track. like towards the seatbelt side the window is out of the door.
Both my windows did that no matter how many times I put them back on track (it takes me about 4 minutes now lol) or how much wd-40 or silicone/grease I applied. The only thing that worked was taking it to a shop and having professionals do it. Think they replaced the motor and the track

waay fu*king frustrating
Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
Jbuck2KCivic

Make sure the scissor mechanism that lifts the windows up isn't bent or loose.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
v-teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbuck2KCivic View Post
Make sure the scissor mechanism that lifts the windows up isn't bent or loose.

does that also apply to manual roll up if it comes off track?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #13
dontknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19josh97 View Post
Ok guys...I need some help here.. My windows keep falling off track! And even if they stay the top left of the window wont go into the seal I have to pull my window when I roll it up.
I have a 97 ex coupe. Any help???
Mine does this too, a right pita ...

I'm the same, Iv'e got to flick the button as I "pull" the glass up from the front of the door so as to get it seated in the top corner (above the lock).
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
Solid_Snake
Te mato con mi VTEC

Mine used to do that. I just sprayed some Wurth HHS 2000 on the tracks and never had a problem ever since. that was like 4 months ago and i roll the windows all the way down and no problems.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
guachi

This is a known issue for this 6th generation civics, actually i had all of those simptoms that you are describing....
On my case i was able to fix it... basically i noticed that there are issues with the rails that guide the windows through the rubber seals, the seals need to be sprayed with graphite, go to a hardware store and get some of that, if you use oil or other kind of lubricants it could damage the seals, the sliicone spray on the brushes is also a good move this will reduce the friction between brushes and the glass window as well as the graphite will do with the glass and the rubbers...
Take your door apart, open it and take a look at the scisor like mechanism, put some grease on those...
and last but not least you will notice that the window has a specific curve, that rail must also have the curb, from time to time and door slams witht he window up that rail tends to straighten up, so you need to find which point of that rail is bent and try to slowly and smoothly move it to its original possition, on my case i used a piece of wood, i found the right spot where the rail would bent and located a specially sized piece of wood there that i glued in, i actually did that about a year ago and it has been working ever since, i even put in new tinted windows and it still works great... Give a shot!!