Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

P1300 misfire code, but ignition is new

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
SW20FL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default P1300 misfire code, but ignition is new

I got a nice little OBDII scanner for my 97 Civic DX 5spd today to see why my check engine light was on. I have a crack in the exhaust manifold so I knew it would be the O2 sensor or emissions related. I was right, but to my surprise, I found that the ECU also recorded a cylinder 2 and cylinder 4 missfire. Then it shows P1300 which is a multiple cylinder misfire. The car is 100% stock. Not one modification.

That doesn't make sense to me because I replaced every component of my ignition with NEW parts and I reset the ECU by pulling the battery when I replaced the ignition. Not to mention, the car drives and idles wonderfully. The engine has 173,000 miles, but it runs like it has 60,00 miles. It doesn't hesitate or anything to make me even suspect a missfire. Even with the crack in my exhaust manifold I average about 33-36 mpg with 80% highway and 20% city, and 40mpg with 100% highway. I will be fixing the manifold down the road.

I really don't care to fix this problem. I'm just curious why the car would still be detecting a missfire.

I replaced:

Coil
Igniter
Cap
Rotor
Wires
Plugs
New distributor from Honda

I may be guilty, but I didn't set the timing when I installed the new distributor. I just put it in the same position. Would the timing being off have something to do with a missfire?

The previous owner also replaced the first O2 sensor early this year, but installed it in the cracked manifold. Could this have damaged the sensor?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Solid_Snake
Te mato con mi VTEC

Well if you didn't adjust the timing right its going to cause pinging/detonation/knocking, and the ECM might be seeing it as misfire. Does the MIL (check engine light) flash when the engine is running?
Old 12-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Solid_Snake
Te mato con mi VTEC

DTC P1300 Random Cylinder Misfire can be caused by:
Ignition system, Fuel Supply System, MAP sensor, EGR system (I think only the D16Y5 HX has EGR system), IAC valve, Contaminated fuel or lack of fuel.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
SW20FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Snake View Post
Well if you didn't adjust the timing right its going to cause pinging/detonation/knocking, and the ECM might be seeing it as misfire. Does the MIL (check engine light) flash when the engine is running?
The check engine light doesn't flash. It just stays on. It did flash once for about 2-3 seconds when I started the car up in the morning and it was idling cold, but never again. The check engine light comes on for maybe 6-7 days, then turns off by itself, and stays off for maybe 6-7 days, then comes back on again, and this is a continuing pattern. I'll set the timing, clear the codes and see if it comes up again.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
SW20FL

Okay timing is set to 12 btdc.. Codes are all cleared. Drove around for a while and ran another diagnostic. O2 sensor tested good, and no codes or misfires detected. All clear. I know the engine light would come eventually because of the crack in the exhaust manifold, but I'll be checking if there are any more misfires detected. Engine is super quiet at idle and happy :).
Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Solid_Snake
Te mato con mi VTEC

Glad you got it fixed