Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

water in trunk

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
J_Uhrig87
bestofbothworlds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default water in trunk

Hey everyone, so before I start buying parts for my wife's coupe thought I'd see if anyone has had the same problems we're having.
so my wife has a 2000 civic coupe ex and she's been getting alot of condensation and water in her trunk. now when we actually open the trunk, water poors out from where the lights are attached on the trunk itself. now my first thought was tail light gasket is bad, need new tail lights. the weather stripping around the trunk looks good, and I'm thinking new tail lights should do the trick. has anyone else had this problem before?
their stock lights but I have noticed there is a little bit of condensation inside the lense of the tail lights so i figured the lights are the source of the leak.
thanks for your help
Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
andrew256

Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
mylovehx
Hatches rock

have someone go in the trunk with a flash light and close it then have another person hose it down. thats what we did to find the leek in my bros prelude
My EK Hatch Build: Boosted D in the works
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=209284
BUY MY STUFF!
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=216510
"Hatch Life" Member #1
"D-Squad" Member #8
Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
-civic-
Paintball is better

when it rains the floor of the trunk in mine gets wet. and brother said my tail lights leaked, and i ignored it. And they condensate some times. That was my thought also
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
AGD202

I have heard that the seal around the tail lights go bad and allow water to leak into the trunk on civs. My car has the same problem but not that bad.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Jaybo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew256 View Post
Sunroof drains.
+1... i've got the same problem right now and im pretty sure its my sunroof. if i feel around the ledge that runs along the rear quarter panel, i can feel moisture resting there. it drains from the sunroof back along the rear window and then into the trunk.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
J_Uhrig87
bestofbothworlds

hmmm, I hope it's not the sunroof. the only thing I would say about it not being the sunroof is that when I open the trunk, the amount of water that poors out from where the tail lights are. you know how the back of the tail light comes through a hole in the trunk? the water poors right from there. I'm going to replace the tail lights anyways cause my wife wants the smoked red/clears than hopefully it'll get rid of it. I was also thinking of taking the whole trunk off and maybe drying it out completly so I know if it's the lights or not. also, if it is the sunroof what do you think would be the repair cost on that? It can get pretty expensive? well I'll take it back to the dealership and make them pay for it, or at least get it fixed at their cost. I mean, I payed almost 7k for the car after tax and license. they should give me some s*** in return.
thanks for the suggestions everyone. much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
00 Coupe Turbo

Default how to fix

I know this is kinda dumb idea but al i did was drill 4 hole in the bottom of the trung where the spare tire use to be located, and sealed aroung the holes and under the car with sealer and it doesnt fil up but i also locked myself in the truck in the rain and found the leak and fixed it but it the trunk keeps filling up then dril a couple holes i use 1/2 inch hole but thats just me hope you can fix the problem
Old 02-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Jaybo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Uhrig87 View Post
hmmm, I hope it's not the sunroof. the only thing I would say about it not being the sunroof is that when I open the trunk, the amount of water that poors out from where the tail lights are. you know how the back of the tail light comes through a hole in the trunk? the water poors right from there. also, if it is the sunroof what do you think would be the repair cost on that? It can get pretty expensive? well I'll take it back to the dealership and make them pay for it, or at least get it fixed at their cost. I mean, I payed almost 7k for the car after tax and license. they should give me some s*** in return.
thanks for the suggestions everyone. much appreciated.
the rear drains for your sunroof go through the c-pillar and down into the fender. they empty behind the rear wheels. if it was wet behind the outter portion of your taillights (closer to the fender), i'd suspect drains. but from the sound of it, since it's actually going into the center portion of your taillights, i'd kinda doubt it's the sunroof. i think trunk seal and the lights are most likely.
good luck!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
J_Uhrig87
bestofbothworlds

yeah thanks for the help. I think for now I'm just going to change out the lights. It doesn't pool up a lot needing to drill extra holes. actually the center of the trunk stays pretty dry. it's mainly around the edges and when I open the trunk it drips into the center. it just keeps making the rear window fog up crazy. it's more than fog too, like really really thick condensation. I'll start with the lights, and if that doesn't help, I'm taking it back to the dealership and slapping the guy in the face.
thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
VIPEk00
Banned

Im actually having the same problem.
when it rains or i wash my car water comes in the trunk...not dramatically like OMG..FTW..
but when i open my trunk water poors in on the outter sides of the tailights.
were they come thru on the inside..
And they leak on the outter sides of the inside of my trunk, if that makes any sence.
it sucks because i just built a custom box for my sub an etc and i dont wanna get it wet.

but i hear it may be the tail light seal's which i want my Si tail's but dont know where to get seals.?
mabe adavanced or Oreily's?

LMK
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Jaybo

Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #13
mok890

I had the same problem in my 99 ex couple i ended getting locked in the trunk with a flash light but i noticed the right inner lip had a slight crack so i siliconed every crack and taped up all the holes from the trunk siliconed the lights but it fixed it....so cover all holes and cracks lol
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #14
greenlx777
BigRed is Dead

water in the knee

"Operation"

My Boosted B16 >>>>> "Built Turbo SIR"
Custom Turbo Manifolds
Stainless - Mild Steel - Aluminum
Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
xirixh3x

It could be if your car is debadged it can go through the two wholes in the trunk where the badge goes