Our website family:  ClubCivic.com - ClubIntegra.com - TunerSports.com

SEARCH: Forums | Parts
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic.com, a forum dedicated to the Honda Civic, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will intitle you to other site features including access to post your Honda Civic in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

Hood Release Cable

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
SoJ1Ro
just sit back and enjoy

Question Hood Release Cable

Sup guys, so i recently just bought a new hood release cable kuz mine broke like most hondas. i was wondering if there is a thread about how to install it. i've done my homewok and found other websites that explained how to install it, but not for a honda. Im pretty sure its the same. I just want to know if you guys ever installed one before and how hard is it? whats your experience with this?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
toxicity359

im doing this on my car soon, when i figure out ill send you a holler.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
SoJ1Ro
just sit back and enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicity359 View Post
im doing this on my car soon, when i figure out ill send you a holler.
sweet yeah tell me how it goes. i already know where its goin in and all but if you could take pics. that be awesome. thanks
Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
mitka

It is easiest to replace if you took your fender off. In fact it is self evident how to do it then. You will need to get two plastic retainers under fender to hold it (I never was able to remove existing ones w/o damaging them). The rest of plastic retainers (on the bulkhead) can be taken off easily w/o damage.

w/o taking fender off:

you need to pull out old cord (you basically unscrew the release lever, cut the cord from inside, pull out rubber grommet that plugs hole in the firewall, and pull the cord out from the outside). Then thread in new cord from inside the car, when you need to catch it from the hole in front which is tricky thing to do. This way of course you bypass the retainers under hood, which is not important - it will work w/o them.

You need to take hood latch out in order to attach the cord to the latch properly. Take marker and mark the contour of the latch on the bulkhead, so you know how to position it in the same place when you reattach it.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
SoJ1Ro
just sit back and enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitka View Post
It is easiest to replace if you took your fender off. In fact it is self evident how to do it then. You will need to get two plastic retainers under fender to hold it (I never was able to remove existing ones w/o damaging them). The rest of plastic retainers (on the bulkhead) can be taken off easily w/o damage.

w/o taking fender off:

you need to pull out old cord (you basically unscrew the release lever, cut the cord from inside, pull out rubber grommet that plugs hole in the firewall, and pull the cord out from the outside). Then thread in new cord from inside the car, when you need to catch it from the hole in front which is tricky thing to do. This way of course you bypass the retainers under hood, which is not important - it will work w/o them.

You need to take hood latch out in order to attach the cord to the latch properly. Take marker and mark the contour of the latch on the bulkhead, so you know how to position it in the same place when you reattach it.
is there any size bolts i should have to be ready for this? and thanks for the info
Old 04-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
jerzfinest13

Would it be difficult to put in the hood latch b/c I need to install 1 since the previous owner broke the stock and added some random Hood latch. Any help? Or would I have to replace the whole thing (latch & cables)
Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
deemee
I am the Master...

i would recommend relocating your hood cable as a crime deterrent since your installing a new one

here is a link with instructions http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com...ble/index.html
Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
mitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzfinest13 View Post
Would it be difficult to put in the hood latch b/c I need to install 1 since the previous owner broke the stock and added some random Hood latch. Any help? Or would I have to replace the whole thing (latch & cables)
No need to replace the cable if cable is not damaged and works. you take off grille to get access to two bolts that hold latch.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
sixwhip14

Mine is broke as well, but I don't mind. It would take that much longer for some scumbag to get at my engine.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
jerzfinest13

Ohhh ok, it still opens its just that damn latch is a cheap ass 1 and sucks when I have to open my hood.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
thambi23

on my 2000 civic the same thing happened the plastic part broke off can i just buy the plastic part or need to replace the cables and everythin else..
Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
red98civ

holy thread resurrection...!

if you're talking about the little handle you pull to open the latch, i believe you have to replace the whole cable. I recently did a cable-relocate but left the little handle off, it'll make it just a tad bit harder for a thief
Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
DaggWood

There is a simple solution to the broken handle.
Look at this post,. http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showt...57#post2915757
Really simple to fix, no need to remove anything in the car.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
CIVIC_VTEC
LOW AND SLOW!

s*** idk i took my hood release off and put in hood pins

Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
tomrip1

great info....BUT my hood is closed, cable broken, how can I release the hood now??