Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Head lights and instrument control lights flickering?

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
nickenumbers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Head lights and instrument control lights flickering?

Does anyone else have a problem with head lights and instrument control lights flickering?

This doesn't happen all the time, it happens intermittently. But it drives me crazy. The back light for the speedometer and revs and the headlights themselves go brighter then darker then brighter then darker.

Has anyone seen this or heard of this before? How do I fix it and what is going wrong?

Thank you.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Does the battery light in the cluster stay on or flicker on and off while you are driving? You may want to have the alternator tested.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
nickenumbers

This is another stupid question, but how can I test my alternator?

Thank you.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
K-N-2-EK

take your car to o riellys or autozone or pepboys..ask for a alternator test...
Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
dragonfly7518

Default same issue

I am having the same problem - have noticed it periodically for awhile. Alternator is fine according to Auto Zone though. If I drive for more than 30 min or so sometimes my right turn signal stops working also.
We've replaced the fuses and the headlight bulbs. Any suggestions on what else could cause this problem?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
jay192

im having that problem now with my hatch my mechanic said it has something to do with one of my sensor wires being burnt out because its under the car I'll find out more on Wednesday and posts
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
RonJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay192 View Post
im having that problem now with my hatch my mechanic said it has something to do with one of my sensor wires being burnt out because its under the car I'll find out more on Wednesday and posts
Check 7.5A fuse 15 under the dash.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
zb12691
Ebuilt Ricer

ok, here is the problem. you all have d16y7's. they made s***ty intake manifolds and s***ty wires behind it. a couple wires have rubbed through and are now grounding or sending power to where it shouldnt be. the wires are for your eld and gauge cluster

you might also notice your mph acts as a tach. just find the wires that are rubbed through and wrap them with electrical tape. there below the intake manifold. good luck getting to them. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf22189 View Post
s*** i get up to 245 on the highway with my 89 sohc non-vtec car. Do you have a manual? If so you have to shift up. Honda built the tranny so that after going so fast when you shift back into first it reacts as 6th gear. and so on up to 10gears!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
RonJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb12691 View Post
ok, here is the problem. you all have d16y7's. they made s***ty intake manifolds and s***ty wires behind it. a couple wires have rubbed through and are now grounding or sending power to where it shouldnt be. the wires are for your eld and gauge cluster

you might also notice your mph acts as a tach. just find the wires that are rubbed through and wrap them with electrical tape. there below the intake manifold. good luck getting to them. :)

This is mostly correct. Several 96-99 engines are affected. Read this TSB.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
zb12691
Ebuilt Ricer

thats it, i work for a dealer, we fix this all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf22189 View Post
s*** i get up to 245 on the highway with my 89 sohc non-vtec car. Do you have a manual? If so you have to shift up. Honda built the tranny so that after going so fast when you shift back into first it reacts as 6th gear. and so on up to 10gears!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
silvercivic99

i had this problem for a while... it is the alternator for sure.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
HondaD16y8
Black Dragon

i have a 97 Honda civic d16y8 and my lights flicker too. i changed my alternator and it fixed it for a while and started again. i looked at the wires behind the motor and it looked fine. it keep s blowing my alternator speed sensor fuse. the check engine light gives me a code for a o2 sensor. i still cannot figure it out. if anybody has any ideas, please let me know. it only has 117,000 miles on it with all new belts. so i cant be the timing belt.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
frankmoocivic
I <3 ROXY

Quick question do you guys have aftermarket stereos or amps in your car?
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
K-N-2-EK

if the answer is yes to the above question ^^^^ find yourself a dual stage alternator...ive got friends who work at Electronic stores and specially the 06+ the alt. sucks. find a dual stage run you close to 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS. View Post
I'm not so much a fan of 99-00 tails on 96-98's. 96-98's should stay 96-98's. Unless you do the front too.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
red98civ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly7518 View Post
I am having the same problem - have noticed it periodically for awhile. Alternator is fine according to Auto Zone though. If I drive for more than 30 min or so sometimes my right turn signal stops working also.
We've replaced the fuses and the headlight bulbs. Any suggestions on what else could cause this problem?
i had this problem with my right turn signal but it was a lose wire from when i disconnected the halo's on my old headllights, check to make sure all wires are tight.

(may not be the issue in your case, but it cant hurt to check!)