Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Gas Pedal Sticking

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
nickenumbers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Gas Pedal Sticking

I have noticed that my gas pedal is sticking a little bit. It is when I take my foot off of it, and I put my foot back on it, I have to push a little harder to move it, then it functions fine. But initially, I have to give it a little more of a push.

This doesn't happen all the time, but it is beginning to happen more frequently.

Any one else had this problem, or can tell me what to look for?

Thank you very much.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Jersey8
B20: Detroit Muscle!

i would first try the cheaper options: check your throttle body rotating assembly (valve plate inside, interior walls), spring, etc. if its gunky/dirty, clean it up with some throttle body cleaner.

if that doesnt work you may need to replace the cable
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
redexcoupe

I have the same problem, and its not that bad, but its just kind of annoying. I cleaned out my TB and it seemed to help alittle bit, but not completely gone. I was gonna try and adjust the throttle cable, but then i noticed the nut around the cable is like super rusty and i didnt wanna deal with something breaking. How hard is it to replace the cable?

Does your car have cruise control? if it does? does it work really s***ty? Mine works but it doesnt like to keep a constant speed very well, it will speed up and then slow down and then speed up again and then slow down. It does that every time i use it. anyone else having this problem? or now how i could fix it?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
XpL0d3r
What Civic?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Mine does the same thing from time to time. Cleaned my TB and it was much better.. still happens a little bit though

( '02 Acura RSX Type-S | '05 Kawasaki Ninja 500RR | '97 Honda Civic B18 Turbo | '05 Infiniti G35 Coupe (SOLD) )

Old 01-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
r34civic

well bro, not going to lie, my civic did the same thing, and yes, it was the floormats being a little to big and when i pushed the pedal down, it would get caught under the floormat lol, just check that out, cheapest fix you can do
Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
nickenumbers

Excellent answers everyone. Thank you very much. I will check out all of these things and get back to you!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Jersey8
B20: Detroit Muscle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redexcoupe View Post
I have the same problem, and its not that bad, but its just kind of annoying. I cleaned out my TB and it seemed to help alittle bit, but not completely gone. I was gonna try and adjust the throttle cable, but then i noticed the nut around the cable is like super rusty and i didnt wanna deal with something breaking. How hard is it to replace the cable?

Does your car have cruise control? if it does? does it work really s***ty? Mine works but it doesnt like to keep a constant speed very well, it will speed up and then slow down and then speed up again and then slow down. It does that every time i use it. anyone else having this problem? or now how i could fix it?
get some pb blaster for that rusty nut.
ive personally never replaced a throttle cable but it can't be very hard. all it does is connect to the pedal, through the firewall, and to the cable stay/tb rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r34civic View Post
well bro, not going to lie, my civic did the same thing, and yes, it was the floormats being a little to big and when i pushed the pedal down, it would get caught under the floormat lol, just check that out, cheapest fix you can do
i need to move my floormats back from time to time as well
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
JDM_SPEC_SI-R

i just took mine apart and did a complete over haul with cleaning it and polishing it up. i forgot to lube it up after wards so mine sticks when i punch it to the ground from time to time.

just needs oil/grease
Racing Trenz
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

When all other options are exhausted (e.g., thoroughly cleaning the TB), then the next step would be to replace the throttle cable, which can get notchy over time. A new OEM cable is about $30 if I remember correctly. This TSB describes the replacement procedure. It's pretty simple.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Szady
D-Series Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Mine does it too. Kind of annoying. Last time I had it happen (on my old motor), the the throttle plate inside the TB was closing too much, causing it to bind/stick to the walls of the TB. I adjusted it so it didnt close as far, but still shut completely, and the issue was gone. I need'a take a look at mine and see whats up....
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
nickenumbers

Thanks for the info everyone. I have cleaned it a couple of times both where it attaches to the gas pedal inside the vehicle and under the hood. It is still sticking. It is my car, but my wife was driving it and she actually was remarking on it this past weekend. When mama ain't happy, no one is happy. ;-)

I am going to use RonJ's Service Bulletin above, order the throttle cable and replace it.

I will report more later. Thanks everyone and especially RonJ for the exact specific instructions.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
nickenumbers

1. When installing the new throttle cable do I need to add any lubrication?

2. If yes, what exact name and type of lubrication?

Thank you.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickenumbers View Post
1. When installing the new throttle cable do I need to add any lubrication?
No
Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
305ej6

check your floor mats, throttle cable.... or just contact Toyota they might be able to help you...
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
nickenumbers

Installed the new Throttle Cable. Was an easy installation. It took me about 15-20 minutes, and this was the first time I have ever done it. So, that means it was easy!

$25 Throttle Cable from my local Honda Parts Shop.

Gas pedal functions perfectly now! I have been testing for the last 3 days.

Thanks to everyone who helped me finally solve it!

(As a side note to all the nerdy people like me, my old throttle cable had the 3 inch rubber boot where it attaches to the throttle, ripped and torn. And this perhaps was part of my problem. In addition to what Ron J pointed out that no one can see but inside the plastic cover of the cable itself, the wire of the cable could be fraying and binding inside.)