Our website family:  ClubCivic.com - ClubIntegra.com - TunerSports.com

SEARCH: Forums | Parts
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic.com, a forum dedicated to the Honda Civic, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will intitle you to other site features including access to post your Honda Civic in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

Electrical Problem: Won't Crank

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Cr8zyDrifter

Default Electrical Problem: Won't Crank

Hey Guys,

I have 93 Si stock. so d16. One day I turned the car off, went to turn it back on 10 minutes later and nothing. Wounldn't crank at all. So I tried to jump it. nothing. However I do still get Power lights/Radio/ect when key is turn on. It will push start, so its the starting system somewhere. I pulled the starter (Mitsuba) off took it to AutoZone, They tested it 10 times, it came back good 10 out of 10 times. I checked the Relay under the hood # 39 in FSM. for ignition switch, its good.

what else I'm going to check tomorrow:

Clutch interlock switch

Starter Cut Relay

So after that what else should I check? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Now is the Ignition Switch, The key and cylinder?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
RonJ
Civic minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr8zyDrifter View Post
Hey Guys,

I have 93 Si stock. so d16. One day I turned the car off, went to turn it back on 10 minutes later and nothing. Wounldn't crank at all. So I tried to jump it. nothing. However I do still get Power lights/Radio/ect when key is turn on. It will push start, so its the starting system somewhere. I pulled the starter (Mitsuba) off took it to AutoZone, They tested it 10 times, it came back good 10 out of 10 times. I checked the Relay under the hood # 39 in FSM. for ignition switch, its good.

what else I'm going to check tomorrow:

Clutch interlock switch

Starter Cut Relay

So after that what else should I check? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Now is the Ignition Switch, The key and cylinder?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Cr8zyDrifter

Is the Clutch interlock switch a common thing to go out on these cars?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
RonJ
Civic minded

Yes, extremely common.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Cr8zyDrifter

Thanks again man, I like the folks on this forum, they are really helpful. I searched for starting problems found alot of threads of starting problems of a different kind. I searched for clutch interlock switch, and man there was a bunch of threads disscussing this same exact problem. I'll get back to everyone and let u know if thats it. Also is there anything special you need to do to bypass it. connect wires where plugs would be correct? I'll probably end up buying a new one anyways. there only $30.00 at VatoZone.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
RonJ
Civic minded

The clutch safety switch is a common problem, but don't replace it unless you show that jumping the connector solves the starting problem.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Cr8zyDrifter

okay, so I can jump the connector and If thats the problem it should start right up? or I can test continuity between the two terminals on the actual clutch switch.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #8
RonJ
Civic minded

Jump the connector. If it doesn't start, measure voltage at the two starter wires.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Cr8zyDrifter

okay, i tested test the starter cut relay, I'm getting continuity between 2 of the four prongs. so that should be good, I tried to jump the clutch interlock switch plug with a wire, and nothing. I pulled the clutch interlock switch out. tested that, I have continutiy when the button is pushed in, and no continuity when the button is out. so all of that tested good correct? I'm lost now. so when i measure voltage at the 2 wires on the starter. i should get 0 when the key is off and around 12 or so when the key is on? so does all this mean it has to be either the starter or ignition switch now?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
RonJ
Civic minded

Quote:
so all of that tested good correct?

Yep, all sounds good.

so when i measure voltage at the 2 wires on the starter. i should get 0 when the key is off and around 12 or so when the key is on?
With the key turned to ON(III), you should test for battery voltage at the Blu/Blk wire in the connector for the clutch interlock switch. If you find voltage, then proceed with the tests below.

There are two wires attached to the starter, a large Blk wire for the starter motor and a smaller Blk/Wht wire for the starter solenoid. The Blk wire should read battery voltage under all conditions. The Blk/Wht wire should read battery voltage when the clutch pedal is depressed and the key is turned to ON(III). Post the results of these two voltage measurements.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Cr8zyDrifter

okay tried to test wires. On the multimeter setting i put it on DCV 20. is that the correct setting for the meter?

with that setting, i put postive needle on large blk wire and , negative to a ground it showed 12.67
the same way i tested small blk/wht wire, nothing with or without the clutch pushed in key turned ect...
now i did have a battery charger hooked up to it. because battery is dead. but i think with the charger hooked up i have good power.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
RonJ
Civic minded

Quote:
okay tried to test wires. On the multimeter setting i put it on DCV 20. is that the correct setting for the meter?

with that setting, i put postive needle on large blk wire and , negative to a ground it showed 12.67
the same way i tested small blk/wht wire, nothing with or without the clutch pushed in key turned ect...
now i did have a battery charger hooked up to it. because battery is dead. but i think with the charger hooked up i have good power.
You used the correct multimeter setting. Okay, no power is getting to the starter solenoid from the interlock switch. Now test for voltage at the Blu/Blk wire in the interlock connector with the key turned to ON(III).
Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
Cr8zyDrifter

okay the switch i tested has a pinkish and black, And now im willing to bet that it was Not the Clutch Interlock Switch? There are 2 things under there that look like it. one of which is further up the clutch pedal closer to the firewall. is that one the clutch switch or is the lower one (easy to get to) the clutch switch. anyways the lower one tested 12 volts on the pink wire.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
RonJ
Civic minded

Quote:
okay the switch i tested has a pinkish and black, And now im willing to bet that it was Not the Clutch Interlock Switch?

This is the cruise control switch.

There are 2 things under there that look like it. one of which is further up the clutch pedal closer to the firewall. is that one the clutch switch or is the lower one (easy to get to) the clutch switch. anyways the lower one tested 12 volts on the pink wire.

Go higher up. For reference, look at the diagram that I posted. The interlock switch has a Blu/Blk wire and a Blk wire.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
Cr8zyDrifter

okay i removed the Cruise Control Switch, Tell me if the picture i took is right.