Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Random Misfires!!!!!

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
dabz1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Random Misfires!!!!!

2000 civic Lx auto with 95k miles - no mods

CEL came on.. took it to autozone and i got 6 codes: random missfire, missfire on cylinder 1, 2, 3 and 4, and EGR valve/incorrect valve clearance . The car runs crappy all the time missfiring when it's hot or cold. i've tried everything (well almost everything as i know this can be caused by many diff things) in the following order sinse the issues began:

Ignition switch - i heard civics of this generation has ignition switch issues/recalls (mine did not have a recal but the symptoms matched)
Spark plugs/wires - replaced with NGK plugs and OEM Honda wires
Fuel filter
Distributor rotor and cap
Distributor - brand new distributor not refurb (included new coil, new cap, new rotor - adjusted timing after)

After i replaced the distributor there was no CEL!!! So i decided to drive it round for 30 mins up to 70mph to make sure all was fine, car ran perfect. But then pulling from a stop sign the CEL started blinking again and eventually stayed on.. took it back to autozone and i'm now getting 4 codes: random missfire, missfire on cylinder 1, 2 and 3... i'm inclined to rule out the bad EGR valve code i first got because it's no longer showing up but i dont know anymore... any assistance/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
brian762

Are you sure the wires are on the plugs all the way and they didnt pop off? thats what happened to mine after i replaced my plugs and wires, also check the dizzy cap to make sure they didnt pop off there.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
dabz1981

yes the plugs are on the right place on the cap, everything is tight. i just confirmed that this 2000 civic lx does not have an EGR valve.. .only the HX models did so i'm ruling that out completely, which makes me even more confused now.... also to add, the car runs rough on idel and acceleration (missfires)
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Genuine Rolla
Its PETEY PETE, y0!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Where does your car idle at?
[ProjectJayDeM, y0!] [<><] [CCSC#9] [College.$tatus] [ClubCivicCouch Crew#4]

Quote:
Originally Posted by connies92hatchie View Post
Cmon do you see how small Max's head is? Pushing Dank's body through these p***y walls is gonna be a piece of cake!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
brian762

the only other thing i can think of is timing, but if it ran fine for a bit, i think that would rule that out.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
dabz1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuine Rolla View Post
Where does your car idle at?
It's idling low.. i'll have to say between 600 -700 RPMs with occasional missfires but not enough to shut it off. it struggles when taking off and puffs like crazy.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
dabz1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian762 View Post
the only other thing i can think of is timing, but if it ran fine for a bit, i think that would rule that out.
i've beein thinking about that but it did run fine before the cel came back on. now i'm thinking it may be the map sensor but i'm not getting codes for it or the cat converer or o2 sensor... just stupid misfires and an egr valve i dont have
Old 02-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
RonJ

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

What are the specific CEL codes? Did a previous owner install and HX ECU into your LX?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
dabz1981

when the issue first started i had 6 codes: misfire codes for all cylinders (po301, po302, po303, po304), another that said incorrect valve clarance/EGR valve, and the random misfire code. after replacing the distributor I currently have po301, po302, po303 and the random missfire codes after about 30 minutes or so of driving it with no CEL. Could timing cause this issue? i feel comfortable with the timing adjustment i did after replacing the distributor, and as previously mentioned the car did run great right after i did.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
RonJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabz1981 View Post
another that said incorrect valve clarance/EGR valve
Post this specific code.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
dabz1981

P0171 is the code.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
RonJ

P0171 is not a CEL code for the EGR system. As you said, an LX has no EGR system. The code instead tells you that the engine is running lean. Start by replacing the fuel filter.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
dabz1981

already did. replaced the fuel filter, ignition switch, spark plugs (ngk), wires (honda oem as the after market ones did not fit properly), replaced distributor cap and rotor, and when this did not work decided to replace the entire distributor and adjusted the timing just to be safe.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
RonJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabz1981 View Post
already did. replaced the fuel filter...
Missed that. Measure the fuel pressure and check the fuel pressure regulator while you are at it.