Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

A/C compressor clutch not engaging

Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
floralvikings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default A/C compressor clutch not engaging

Hey everybody, new user

Anyway, I've been working on my a/c since I bought the car. It's a '95 LX sedan, and the problem is electrical, I'm sure.

Everything works mechanically, has a new compressor, condenser, several new pipes, and recently charged. The only problem is that nothing comes on =( I think it's either the compressor relays or possibly the ECU.

I currently have a toggle switch rigged up to directly turn the compressor on, just to make sure everything works, and I'm having no problems with any parts, no leaks, nothing. If I could just get the thing to turn on it would be working perfectly and I could get on to something more fun

Anyone have any advice on what it could be or how I could go about testing it?

[EDIT]
Oh and the light in the A/C button on the HVAC controls is coming on, if that helps at all. I'm about to have to head to work but hopefully I'll have some daylight left to work on it when I get home.
floralvikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
buzzbombtom
captin sleep0

does the fan turn on without the a/c?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
floralvikings

Yeah fan comes on fine, all controls on the HVAC controller work which leads me to believe that the switch is not the problem
Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #4
buzzbombtom
captin sleep0

check all the relays
Old 05-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
floralvikings

Is there any way to test them without actually replacing them? I can probably pick up some new ones this week if not.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
JDeg6

I have the same sort of problem, when i got my hatch the wiring for the radio had been hacked so at the time i had ac/heat but no radio. So after going to Pull-A-Part n getting a new radio harness i spliced em and hooked it back up and Wa-La!!! i have a cd player now but NO ac/heat...
JDeg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
JDeg6

it sucks man, i need to get mine workin to.
dont know about you but either i cant drive in the rain or i can im just driving around town with foggy ass windows.
JDeg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralvikings View Post
Is there any way to test them without actually replacing them? I can probably pick up some new ones this week if not.
The relays for the condenser fan and compressor clutch are interchangeable so try swapping them.

When the compressor won't engage, you also want to check whether the ECU receives voltage from the compressor clutch relay and that the ECU also sends 5V to the heater control panel. If all of this fine, then the ECU may be bad.

Last edited by RonJ; 05-27-2010 at 05:23 PM.
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
floralvikings

Ok, I'll try swapping the relays. Where on the ECU harness is are the wires for the relay and heater control panel? My manual got flooded in the last hurricane and I haven't picked one up yet >.<

[EDIT]
Okay, swapped the relays. In one configuration, the condenser fan is coming on with the a/c switch, so I know it's not the HVAC controls. But, no matter which relay is where, the compressor doesn't come on. I tried jumping the compressor power to the condenser fan, and it engaged no problem, blew cold, everything a-okay.

So, does that sound like one of the relays is bad? I figured that since the compressor isn't coming on despite which relay is being used that it's something else.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
RonJ
Banned

The relays are fine.

Here are the relevant ECU pins for the A/C compressor. A15 provides ground to the relay and B5 sends voltage to the dash control panel.

If you have voltage at both wires, then jump the pressure switch. If the compressor still won't engage, then the ECU may be bad.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
buzzbombtom
captin sleep0

seeing as your car was flooded i am going to say its a wire issue. is this a stock a/c system? also check to see sometimes if it was installed after market even an oem one after original sale it could be rigged non-oe style, mine is spliced into my harness (previous owner) check there too if that is the case...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
floralvikings

It's the stock a/c I believe. The car itself wasn't flooded, just my basement, where the manual was at the time >.<

Checking out the ECU and switch now...

[EDIT]

Well, my multimeter seems to have crapped out altogether (not surprising since it hasn't been used in several years...) So the only thing I have to use is a probe... Will that work for checking whether there is voltage?

[EDIT]

Got multimeter to work, both wires are getting voltage. Jumped switch, no compressor. Bad ECU?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
RonJ
Banned

Try swapping in a known good ECU. This would be the next logical step.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
floralvikings

Okay. I'll have to go pick one up today if I can find the time. Will post if I can get one.

I'm probably gonna be able to go to a pick and pull later today, should I pick anything else up that might be worth trying to replace?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
floralvikings

Whelp, got the time to get out to a couple junkyards but no didn't have the time to go to the actual pick and pull. None had an ECU that they would warranty and I really don't want to buy one just to find out it doesn't work and that I can't trade for another one.

So, basically, I can't get one unless I have the time to hunt down and pull one out myself, but I know the pick and pull warranties anything you get for 10% extra so if it doesn't work I can go get another one. Only problem is I probably won't be able to get out there until next week.

Anything else you guys can recommend trying that could fix the problem?