Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Mini Me Swap: Cyl 4 not firing/low compression

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
jdmjml

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Mini Me Swap: Cyl 4 not firing/low compression

hello, Im doing a mini me swap to my 94 hatch with a b7 block and z6 head. when i crank it it starts but runs very very rough so i know that i have fuel air and spark. after a few seconds of running i felt the headers and cyl one and two were warm but three and four were cold. [Edit: Cyl 4 has low compression.] i read that it could be timing but ive tried adjusting the cam (z6 cam) four times now and just dont know what to do next. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RonJ; 05-26-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
sohclubkid
Sick 6/6

did you get it TDC on the compression stroke when you installed the head?
is the timing set to 16* advanced?
new plugs/ wires?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Wax Hands
Smell my finger

Too much air or fule could cause a lean or rich misfire.

Pull your plugs to see whats going on.

Verify spark on the two cylinders, simple screwdriver in plug boot near a ground and crank the motor over and watch for spark to jump. If it doesn't then you don't have spark in that cylinder.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
jdmjml

yes, i had no. 1 piston at tdc and i have brand new plugs wires are used tho. and what do you mean is the timing set to 16* advanced? i honestly could not tell you. and all plugs are looking pretty black. i appreciate the help.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Paul2281
Stuart Racing

I would actually like to SEE spark at the plug just to make sure there IS spark....Make sure all wires are on the right plugs/dizzy cap....Plugs might be fouled now being as black as you say they are.....While plugs are out feel for compression if you don`t have a gauge.....Then check inj. to physically see fuel flow.....
Old 05-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
jdmjml

alrite, i dont have a gauge but i used the palm of my hand to find that cyl 4 has no compression. cyls 1,2, and 3 all have good compression as far as i can tell but 4 has none. so what did i do wrong? didnt seal the head gasket right? thank you once again.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Any CEL codes?

Before drawing any conclusions, you must first make sure the mechanical timing is dead on, that is the cam and crank are perfectly synchronized at TDC1. See diagram below.

If the timing is perfect, next check for spark at all plugs and also whether the fuel injectors are spraying fuel into the cylinders.

If all above is fine, then compression test the cylinders.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Paul2281
Stuart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmjml View Post
alrite, i dont have a gauge but i used the palm of my hand to find that cyl 4 has no compression. cyls 1,2, and 3 all have good compression as far as i can tell but 4 has none. so what did i do wrong? didnt seal the head gasket right? thank you once again.
WOW, bummer man...Well either you put the cams in off a few teeth or more and bent a couple valves, or a valve is hanging open and letting all the compression out, or dropped a valve from a keeper popping off the valve tip....Just need to take the head back off and start over and see what damage has been done...With the head on the bench pour some gas/,water/,alchol into the intake/exh. ports to see which valves are bad/bent,ect.ect.ect....
Good luclk and keeps up updated please....
Paul...
Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
Paul2281
Stuart Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Any CEL codes?

Before drawing any conclusions, you must first make sure the mechanical timing is dead on, that is the cam and crank are perfectly synchronized at TDC1. See diagram below.

If the timing is perfect, next check for spark at all plugs and also whether the fuel injectors are spraying fuel into the cylinders.

If all above is fine, then compression test the cylinders.

X2.....GOOD INFO.....
Old 05-24-2010, 02:47 AM   #10
jdmjml

i know, I was being so careful too. but alrite, if I get time tomorrow ill pull the head and bench test. I thought for sure I had the timing rite tho. dang. and also why only cyl 4? shouldn't cyl 1 have this issue?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
RonJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmjml View Post
i know, I was being so careful too. but alrite, if I get time tomorrow ill pull the head and bench test. I thought for sure I had the timing rite tho. dang. and also why only cyl 4? shouldn't cyl 1 have this issue?
No need to pull the head to check the mechanical timing -- see diagram.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
jdmjml

So i just pulled the head to find that cyl 4 has a intake valve not fully closing. Does this mean bent? it makes sense too because on the compression stroke i could hear it hissing into the intake. wish this wasnt my first time or i wouldve known before continuing with the swap. Any ideas on how to go about fixing the problem? replace valve? thanks for the guidance.

And the b7 heads going back on for now, this is a daily driver so i dont have a choice. Also, would anyone reccomend forgetting the mini me and just dropping in a full z6? i already have a z6 tranny in the hatch so im thinking it would make most sense. thanks again.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
RonJ
Banned

Stuck intake valve 4 explains low cyl 4 compression. Any idea why cyl 3 also apparently had low compression?

Was the mechanical timing off? If so, this could have bent the valve. Or do you have reason to believe the head was bad before it was installed?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #14
jdmjml

Is there a way to unstick the valve without removing cams rockers etc? and cyl 3's compression was fine as far as i could tell, seemed to be same as 1&2 i made the post before the comp. test so please disregard that. Also, i do have reason to believe the head was faulty because i triple checked timing and then checked again before i ever initally started the engine and the piston and valves have no strike marks on them what so ever. The first time i manualy cranked the engine i heard the hissing from that valve leaking as well. The head costed me 50 bucks, i wondered why so cheap..
Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
RonJ
Banned

To do it right, you need to remove and inspect the valves.

Download the 92-95 Civic service manual at the link in my signature. The chapter on cylinder head/valve train should have all the information that you need.