Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.


Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  



Underbody aerodynamics, diffuser ...

Tech Archive (No Posting)


Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.


 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
FreeOfThoughts
The joy of driving
 
FreeOfThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 325
 
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Underbody aerodynamics, diffuser ...

So i was looking through a Car and Driver and read all about the ridiculous aerodynamics in the Ferrari 599XX track car, like underbody vents that go through the trunk and out where the rear tail lights used to be and generates over 1400lbs. of downforce at top speed

check it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjeW37Nrpk.

(or lapping the ring in under 7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJj8atDGBzk )

I was bored and got the idea that i should change the underside of my car to have better airflow underneath. Has anyone tried this with body pans, ducting, diffusers (not the ones with holes in your rear bumper), or the like? Figured it would be worth a shot and not too expensive if i make it myself. Any educated suggestions or examples welcome, thanks
FreeOfThoughts is offline  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
R3dline
f*** you.

 
R3dline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 30
Posts: 13,297
 
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default

you drive a civic man, not a ferrari, you dont need downforce. dont waste your time or money on that monkey looking bs, leave to the ferraris
__________________
R3dline is offline  
Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
got traction
i rock the sohc
 
got traction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SpeedFactory, NW
Posts: 5,880
 

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

its not needed. We trap at 170 mph in the quarter, and have done zero aerodynamic modifications.
__________________
"You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition"

7.91@ 196 - Outlaw B series | 9.49 @ 157.3 - Vitara D16 (retired) | 9.81@ 137 Street AM K series 8.46@ 178 - SFWD B series

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcivicls95 View Post
Yes. Im going to go buy back one of the cars i've built and drive to your s***hole to spank your single cam ass................NOT!
got traction is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
Z3R)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nonya
Posts: 27
 
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by got traction View Post
its not needed. We trap at 170 mph in the quarter, and have done zero aerodynamic modifications.
i guess you didnt read where he was talking about a track car not a dragster.

if you were talking about high speed cornering or time trial type racing id say it would help alot. otherwise its not really worth it.
Z3R) is offline  
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
FreeOfThoughts
The joy of driving
 
FreeOfThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 325
 
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R) View Post
i guess you didnt read where he was talking about a track car not a dragster.

if you were talking about high speed cornering or time trial type racing id say it would help alot.
alright, i didn't think i would have to many jump on this but yes i am talking about high speed cornering and it does help a lot. Low pressure underneath + high pressure on top = downforce (traction at velocity). I might just play with it, and see if it makes any difference and if it does i win if not i will just take it off. I figured they have full underbody kits for s2000's and the like so why not my car, right.
FreeOfThoughts is offline  
Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #6
graffbc
Registered User
 
graffbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Murderita, Killafornia (Murrieta, CA for all you dumb dumbs)
Posts: 92
 
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeOfThoughts View Post
alright, i didn't think i would have to many jump on this but yes i am talking about high speed cornering and it does help a lot. Low pressure underneath + high pressure on top = downforce (traction at velocity). I might just play with it, and see if it makes any difference and if it does i win if not i will just take it off. I figured they have full underbody kits for s2000's and the like so why not my car, right.
im looking for one myself...i saw a orange EK at EiBach last year with one...it looked awesome. i do alot of canyon runs and i see alot of S2k's with them...if you find one let me know.
graffbc is offline  
Old 05-25-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
Kensai
♪♫♪♫♪~
 
Kensai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,120
 
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

OEM sti one fits I think
Kensai is offline  
Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
ekracer_83
hardcore rice
 
ekracer_83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: california
Age: 31
Posts: 923
 
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

are you thinking of doing high speeds in your neighbors?
ekracer_83 is offline  
Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
rebirth
Registered User
 
rebirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 81
 


Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeOfThoughts View Post
So i was looking through a Car and Driver and read all about the ridiculous aerodynamics in the Ferrari 599XX track car, like underbody vents that go through the trunk and out where the rear tail lights used to be and generates over 1400lbs. of downforce at top speed

check it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjeW37Nrpk.

(or lapping the ring in under 7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJj8atDGBzk )

I was bored and got the idea that i should change the underside of my car to have better airflow underneath. Has anyone tried this with body pans, ducting, diffusers (not the ones with holes in your rear bumper), or the like? Figured it would be worth a shot and not too expensive if i make it myself. Any educated suggestions or examples welcome, thanks
Funny thing is I read that same ad, and i have been trying to find a diffuser ever since. All I can find is that silver 5 holes in your bumper look which is pretty damn ugly if you ask me. I really want a rear diffuser, and a Air Walker front bumper.
rebirth is offline  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
FreeOfThoughts
The joy of driving
 
FreeOfThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 325
 
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
Funny thing is I read that same ad, and i have been trying to find a diffuser ever since. All I can find is that silver 5 holes in your bumper look which is pretty damn ugly if you ask me. I really want a rear diffuser, and a Air Walker front bumper.
I have read somewhere that the WRX diffusers can be retro fitted. Spoon sports has used an s2000 diffuser on their ek9's, and i saw someone do that to a '96 hatchback, but i don't know how that would fit my coupe.

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/au...-diffuser.html

The spoon sports diffuser is sexy but over $1000. PWD: JDM has a full carbon underbody kit for the s2000, it would be the closest thing i could work from, their kit is their kit is over $3k, i am hoping to touch a couple hundred bucks, but i would be using lightweight aluminium or maybe some fiberglass not carbon fiber.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t.../photo_01.html
FreeOfThoughts is offline  
 


Bookmarks



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
underbody plastic piece adadani Tech Archive (No Posting) 5 04-27-2008 02:26 AM
Aerodynamics: vent 95 modified Exterior / Detailing / Bodywork 3 09-11-2006 01:31 AM
Aerodynamics DAF Exterior / Detailing / Bodywork 8 09-06-2006 02:52 PM
Help: Rattling sound from the underbody legion Engine Tech / Drivetrain 8 09-05-2003 05:01 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors

Store News:

Latest Topics:


Store Specials:

ALL
Unanswered Topics:





Copyright 2011 ClubCivic.com - ClubCivic.com is in no way affiliated with Honda Motor Company