Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Best Engine swap

Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #16
2NRSTV
Team Exile/ADO Garage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Pros of Naturally Aspirated:
Better throttle response in lower RPM's
Less fuel consumed for power
Lower engine bay temperature
More stable oiling delivery at high RPM

Naturally Aspirated Cons:
Less power output compared to turbo engines
No cool blow-off valve or wastegate noises

Turbo Pros:
Higher power output potential
Better throttle response in Higher RPM's
Cool wastegate hiss at peak boost
Cool blowoff "PSSHT", shudder, and even the notorious "Duck Call" noise when letting off gas.

Turbo Cons:
Oil delivery spikes and dips at higher RPMS and during V-TEC engagement
More fuel consumed
Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #17
WalkingComplex
Stock As All Hell

2NRSTV, don't forget about the turbo-whistler. lol.

>>>>Click Here To See My Rusty EJ1<<<<
Click Here To Learn How To Post Pics/Videos On CC!
Truth, B**** should always have a sandwich ready! - 1SIKCIVIC
"Those who deny freedom to others, deserves it not for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln
"We're all playing the same game, just different levels. Dealing with the same hell, just different devils." - Unknown
WalkingComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #18
ch3ch3
Ch3Ch3

lol thnx 2NRSTV for the personal admiration of the different noises ok so im thinking turbos diff the way to go but now i have a new question in my head lets say i had an b18c1 engine n im racing some one with same enigne same car and other parts that could give me the edge in my vehicle
ch3ch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #19
2NRSTV
Team Exile/ADO Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingComplex View Post
I'd take the h22a.

As for the heavy dyno reading Civics, Im not totally sure but a higher psi can really widen the gap of hp on a turboed car.
Yeah, I've seen B16 Powered civics with 16psi make about 450HP... the same car also spun the rollers at a about 700HP at about 25psi. I think it was in an Import Tuner a couple years back.

I've also seen D-Series turbo Civics make 450HP when I was hanging out at a shop in the Bay Area. Don't know exactly what he had or what psi or what his boost taper was but I do know he had GSR plugs.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
NOFX
I'm NOT eran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3ch3 View Post
Im a Noobie welcome me lol :p I Just Bought a 96 civic and i've fallen in love with the street racing lifestyle and love civics to death anyways im new and all but was looking into swaps i read that the type R from integra and the h22a from the prelude were the best simple swaps for a civic but after registering to the site i saw that the nsx engine is actually more powerful than the other two my question is has anyone ever done this swap and any advice on whihc engine would give me the most juice for my civic lend your knowledge
First, since you mentioned it, I'd really recommend you shy away from "the street racing lifestyle". It's dangerous and stupid and filled with a bunch of morons. The Fast and the Furious series makes it seem even cooler, more intellegent and organized than reality.

Your main choices for a swap into a '96 Civic will be the following:

Code:
B16A2
1.6L DOHC VTEC
'99-'00 Civic Si / '96-'97 del Sol VTEC
160 hp / 111 lb-ft

B16A3
1.6L DOHC VTEC
'94-'95 del Sol VTEC
160 hp / 118 lb-ft

B16B
1.6L DOHC VTEC
'97-'00 Civic Type R (Japan)
182 hp / 118 lb-ft

B18B1
1.8L DOHC non-VTEC
'94-'01 Integra GS/LS/RS
142 hp / 127 lb-ft

B18C
1.8L DOHC VTEC
'95-'99 Integra SiR/SiR II/SiR-G
178 hp / 128 lb-ft

B18C
1.8L DOHC VTEC
'95-'00 Integra Type R
197 hp / 127 hp

B18C1
1.8L DOHC VTEC
'94-'01 Integra GS-R
170 hp / 128 lb-ft

B18C5
1.8L DOHC VTEC
'97-'98, '00-'01 Integra Type R
187 hp / 131 lb-ft

B20B (also a JDM engine is called this, but includes the B20Z spec engine as well)
2.0L DOHC
'97-'08 CR-V
146 hp / 133 lb-ft

B20Z
2.0L DOHC
'99-'00 CR-V
145 hp / 131 lb-ft

D16Y8
1.6L SOHC VTEC
'96-'00 Civic EX
127 hp / 107 lb-ft

D16Z6
1.6L SOHC VTEC
'92-'95 Civic EX/Si
125 hp / 105 lb-ft

H22A1
2.2L DOHC VTEC
'92-'95 Prelude VTEC
187 hp / 158 lb-ft

H22A4
2.2L DOHC VTEC
'97-'01 Prelude Base/Type-SH
197 hp / 196 lb-ft

H23
2.3L DOHC
'92-'96 Prelude Si/SE
160 hp / 156 lb-ft
B-series and D-series go in easiest. H-series need aftermarket mounts. I think they might need a bit more than that too.
Quote:
thnx for all the feedback no i am not attempting to do the swap myself im not afraid to say im not that advanced i can do some auto work but not that much i am however going to take this stuff serious and want to learn more about building engines etc because every1 knows its easy to spend a good deal of money in this obession we all share hobby isnt the word for me i love street cars and readin how much some of you know about these cars i know you feel the same i just wanna know which engine will make my civic fastest between b18c5 or h22a and yes i plan on turbo chargin it whats the pros and cons
How old are you? I'd really recommend you learn more and possibly do thgis yourself if you're young. If you have money you're willing to just give away so someone else will put it in, then I guess I understand. An engine swap is a great learning experience though. That money you'd pay in labor could go toward parts instead.

Remember Type R engines can be pricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by recks View Post
h22 is extremely heavy compare to the b18 id go b18 h22 has been made obsolete specially with the introduction to the k20 and k24
The H-series short block is 19 pounds heavier than a B-series shortblock. An H-series transmission is 6 pounds heavier than a B-series transmission.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=684550

[OEM 98 Discontinued Rear Lip #0009]
[OEM 98 Discontinued Front Lip #0001]
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #21
ch3ch3
Ch3Ch3

i am not racing where its harmful that is exciting but ultimalty dangerous i however do want to race on a track we have here in sc for street racing cars its very fun an safe no ppl n harms way and i like the cars themselves more than anything i would like to learn more about building engines and what not but it seems so advanced and quick question what psi and how does it work noob rememba lol
Old 06-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #22
WalkingComplex
Stock As All Hell

more psi(pounds per square inch of air) means more compressed air being entered into the cylinder which also means hotter air and more power.

No street racing, I did once, almost hit a kid, worst experience of my life.

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserves it not for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln
"We're all playing the same game, just different levels. Dealing with the same hell, just different devils." - Unknown
Old 06-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #23
vjf915

Oh snap, I didnt see the "street racing" comment. Yea dude seriously, take it to the track. Street racers are useless, nobody needs them. I dont care if a street racer hurts himself, but I do care if he hurts an innocent bystander. Thats bulls***, take it to the track.
vjf915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:35 AM   #24
2NRSTV
Team Exile/ADO Garage

The greatest edge you can have over your opponent is skill.

Example: 450HP Supercharged Mustang SVT Cobra vs. 120HP 1990 1.6L Mazda Miata.
Cobra stuttered off the line almost stalling losing the race.
Same guy also shifted from 2nd to Reverse mid-race in another race.

But parts wise, get a port and polish of the head. Bigger Throttle Body. Port match the manifolds. Anything that can move as much air in and out of your engine. It's all about volumetric efficiency. Also, a good thing to have, especially if you are turbo, is a really good intercooler and a Intercooler Sprayer. The lower you can keep the intake air, the denser it will be. Denser air means more oxygen; more oxygen means hotter flame.

PS. The turbo whistler is God's gift to the tuning world. JK.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #25
ch3ch3
Ch3Ch3

but i saw where 2NRSTV said supin about 16psi den 25psi how do you control how much psi? how does dat work? i wanna post pic of my civic soon gonna be gettin work done soon thnx for all ur help
Old 06-26-2010, 03:38 AM   #26
WalkingComplex
Stock As All Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NRSTV View Post
Same guy also shifted from 2nd to Reverse mid-race in another race.
HAHA, that's funny
PS. The turbo whistler is God's gift to the tuning world. JK.
OP, Do NOT get the turbo whistler, its a total joke

Old 06-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #27
2NRSTV
Team Exile/ADO Garage

It can be changed by either changing out the wastegate (the part of the turbo system that controls its boost psi) or, in the case of the Civic I mentioned, by an external boost controller. You can up boost by simply turning a dial or pressing a button. But for the Civic that had the 16psi street tune and the 25psi race tune, it also ran off 2 different ECU maps for each.

Yeah, post pics. I always like seeing new member cars.

Edit: yeah, don't get the turbo whistler. I was kidding. It doesn't even sound like a turbo. It sounds like poo poo in your exhaust.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:47 AM   #28
ch3ch3
Ch3Ch3

gotcha may run in to new questions in the future but thats good for engine swap thnx everyone for all the knowledge and ill diff put up pics soon anyone know how many u can post? is there a limit ciz id like to post it plainly now and den a pic for every upgrade kinda like a rags to riches for civics
Old 06-26-2010, 03:49 AM   #29
WalkingComplex
Stock As All Hell

np. theres no number of pix limits, just the size, not too big and not too small. post it in the members section though, not here.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #30
NOFX
I'm NOT eran!

Quote:
i am not racing where its harmful that is exciting but ultimalty dangerous i however do want to race on a track we have here in sc for street racing cars its very fun an safe no ppl n harms way and i like the cars themselves more than anything i would like to learn more about building engines and what not but it seems so advanced and quick question what psi and how does it work noob rememba lol
Start reading!

Online, the library, the book store. I buy shelves to keep all my car books and manuals on. :) You can even find good books in used stores, like antique stores.

Today I found a Fix Your Ford book for older models from 1966 for $14.50, a 1979 Civic CVCC owners's manual for $10 and an 1947-1954 Chevy Truck Factory Assembly manual for $15 all in a local antique store. Pretty cheap for what it is, but I'll be able to learn a little about some of the older systems that I'm not so familiar with. Plus the Chevy book is a gift for a friend who loves old Chevrolet pickups. :)

Books and good posts online can really help you learn. I suggest you pick up a shop manual from Honda too. It goes over everything in your car that you'd ever want to disassemble or fix. It's not like the cheap Haynes and Chiltons manuals that only touch on a little bit. The paper manuals are better than the PDF versions you can find online imo because you can bring the book with you. A laptop in a garage can be an accident waiting to happen.

You never mentioned your age. Do you have a job? Your engine choice is going to rely heavily on your spending limit.

[OEM 98 Discontinued Rear Lip #0009]
[OEM 98 Discontinued Front Lip #0001]
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote