Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

ECU code 12, '91 Civic 1.5l

Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Nortonfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default ECU code 12, '91 Civic 1.5l

Hello to all,

My 91 Civic DX, 1.5L, Dual Point EFI, auto-trans, is throwing code 12 from the ECU. First, some history. I purchased this car about one month ago, and it had a blown head gasket, among other deferred maintenance. I removed the head and had it resurfaced, just to be sure it was flat. At this time gaskets, valve stem seals and necessary adjustments/repairs were performed. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, timing belt, misc. timing/drive belts, O2 sensor, ign. wires, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor, all rubber hoses and so on. I cleaned the IACV and replaced the PCV valve. I found the previously installed (old) PCV valve to be completely blocked. I ran the engine while still on jack stands for about two hours total, after which I changed the oil and filter. On its first drive following the above work, code 12 was thrown by the ECU, two blocks from home, even though it did not throw this code or any other while I tested it during the initial two hour run. I reset the ECU and it ran fine for another couple of blocks and threw the code again. I looked up this code in my Haynes manual and it tells me it pertains to the EGR system. I have searched for an EGR valve or whatever they use in place of it to no avail. All I have found is a cluster of relays and such near the firewall, on the passenger side, above the fuel filter.

Lastly, after chasing each of the vacuum hoses to their respective connecting points, I noticed that hose 16 was disconnected and the end capped with a screw, which was just shoved in. I haven't a fog where this vacuum hose connects to. There is a cover plate held in place with two bolts, covering an opening on the cylinder head, near the distributor flange. Is this the mounting location for the EGR valve? There is nothing there but the cover plate at the moment. But I also don't see any additional (spare/disconnected) electrical connectors in the vicinity.

Can someone please give some suggestions as to what to look for?

Cheers,
Norman C
Nortonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
2NRSTV
Team Exile/ADO Garage

Pics!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
EVIL_EF

code 12, EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) defective circuit or unplugged or defective lift sensor
EVIL_EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Nortonfan

Sorry,
I don't have a clue how to insert a pic. I read the procedure and it is in geek speak which is completely foreign to me. I am very busy trying to resolve my car issues at the moment, and can't take time out to learn a new skill set.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Nortonfan

Thanks for your response. I know the problem is related to the EGR system. As mentioned previously I did look this up in the Haynes manual, but I have idea where to look for the EGR valve. I've attempted to describe the only place the valve could have been mounted on the engine, but am not sure if the place I described is the correct placement of the EGR valve.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Norman C
Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
2NRSTV
Team Exile/ADO Garage

Lol. It's cool about the pic. This is the best pic I could find about what you are looking for. This is your intake manifold. Number 15 is your EGR.
If you are looking at your engine while standing at the front of your car. The EGR will be mounted on the far left Intake Manifold Runner.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Nortonfan

Thanks! This helps a lot! I can see exactly what parts are missing from my car. The only difference I see is that my intake manifold does not have provisions for mounting the EGR as shown in the diagram you provided. Perhaps the manifold I have is from a non-California version of this engine, thus, no EGR mounting point. In any case, the information you have supplied is of great help. I should be able to source the required parts from pick & pull to make it work.

Cheers,
Norman C