Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Crankshaft Position Sensor Problems... Please Help!

Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
vcantrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Crankshaft Position Sensor Problems... Please Help!

Hey guys. quick background on my 05' 1.7l SOHC vtec 7th gen civic....

I blew a headgasket and had that fixed. the valve cover gasket was screwed when they fixed the head gasket and I was pouring oil over the engine for a couple weeks. Well, it's fixed now but the battery died or went bad so I replaced it. Drove it from tennessee to michigan it drove great. Next morning it turned over way too long before starting.

After that I drove it a mile and it was having trouble shifting... it would jerk like the transmission was struggling and the check engine light was on. I pulled over and shut it off. I immediately turned it back on and it ran perfectly. the check engine light was for the crankshaft position sensor. Two errors: One said a malfunction of the sensor, the other said "intermittent".

I drove it back down to tennessee just fine. EVERY time it sits for a few hours, I have to drive it for like a minute and shut it off and turn it back on before it will work perfectly.

I don't know much about these things but is it possible a fuse is blown or a battery is dead that is keeping the CPS's memory of the car? and every time it sits it goes dead and has to relearn by me driving it for a mile?

Please help me...

thanks
vcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Start by inspecting the 3P CKP sensor connector for oil contamination and corrosion.
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
vcantrell

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default further investigation reveals

I haven't been in to have that checked yet but... it's been further annoying.

recently, it's been giving me further problems. It died the other day... while I was driving it. A lot of idling and slow driving (probably 15 minutes worth) and the electrical system just started dying. radio went off, then air, then the instrument panel started freaking out. Like the battery went dead or the alternator stopped working. After I started driving fast I got the power back and I haven't had that problem since. It's weird...

Also, I stalled it out again. It's been drinking gas like crazy. ANY ideas?
vcantrell is offline   Reply With Quote