Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

creaking/popping from front end

Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
ImThaBean

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default creaking/popping from front end

A while back I installed new stock LCA/UCA and tie rods with fresh ball joints and bushings. In the last few weeks i've been hearing creaking and popping coming from the front end. It initially started when I'd pull out of my drive way (pretty steep incline). Now it's happening when I turn and on occasion when driving straight.

It sounds like something is binding, but everything was OE spec and I can't see any wear or rubbing on the wheel well around the suspension bits.

Anyone have this issue or know what is popping/creaking/binding? It bugs me to hear it, but my girl is afraid to ride in my car cause she thinks its gonna fall apart.

Car is a '94 Civic DX. stock everything ex. lowering springs
ImThaBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
purpej1
honda fiend

cv joint only thing i can think of since lca and such is new
purpej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
ImThaBean

The CV joint is popping but that is a sound I am familiar with, I have replaced a few.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
EJ6_DMS

everythin torqued up to spec?
EJ6_DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Shaaaft
FNG

Worst case scenario would be take it to a shop, get a second opinion. If you installed everything yourself then maybe spend a day tearing it apart, inspecting each piece an putting it back together. Make sure everything is to spec an hopefully you find your problem before it gets worse.
Shaaaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
stateofjustin

Strut/shock tower bushings up top, UCA bushings... jack up the car and see if you can move the wheel grabbing the top of the tire and the bottom and rock top to bottom. should be no play. With the steering column lock engaged, a horizontal rock back and forth should produce much the same, maybe a little movement. Check the UCA bushings and upper ball joint condition and then drop the shock bodies out, compress the spring, and check the bushing up top. Also, check your roll bar bushings at the LCA bolt point if you have a front roll bar, ditto for the roll bar support/carrier bushings. Let us know what you find.
stateofjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
purpej1
honda fiend

im having the same problem now but coming from the driver side wheel. its like a creaking clunking noise.did it before but now it does it all the time
purpej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
cspak01

when you hit the brakes does it stop?
cspak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
ImThaBean

Its not a brake pad issue. It isolated to my bushings. it only creaks when I go in/out of my driveway and around uneven corners. That is what got me to to say bushing, that and I just replaces my control arms. Someone else on another board said its the bushing binding. I didn't grease them enough and didn't tighten them under load. Once I get a chance to do so (I'm moving in the next few weeks) Ima test out that theory and see what happens.