Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Ground Control Coilovers/Tokiko Blue shocks, Bumpy ride??? D:

Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Dnguyen92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default [B]Ground Control Coilovers/Tokiko Blue shocks, Bumpy ride??? D:[/B]

Hello CC,

I have a Civic EG 92 lowered on Tokiko blues in the back and ground control coil overs in the front. I'm sure if you have after market suspension your ride is supposed to be relatively smooth but my drive is always rambunctious as hell. Any clues as to what's going on?
Dnguyen92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
TigBitties
Frame Bangin

what are you spring rates?

"Coupe Life" Member #2

I dont always drive, but When I do, I Prefer to drive Low *Stay Classy My Friends*
TigBitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
ek forever guy

The spring rates don't really matter, anything more than OTS is going to leave the whole setup underdamped. Tokico blues are an OE replacement not designed for increased suspension travel or stiffer rates.

You need new shocks, get some tokico illuminas. A really good shock. Koni sports won't work with the variety of GC you have.
ek forever guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Dnguyen92

Oh damn, so it'd be better to just swap out my springs in the back?(excuse me if im getting terminology wrong I'm new in the game.) Any ideas about my coil overs? There's another thing, When Im in reverse, in the front left wheel it sounds like the spring is being tugged on or something. Sort of sounds like someone is picking at a very tight metal wire if you know what that sounds like.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
ek forever guy

I'm still not sure what setup you have.

Ground control coilovers, on what shocks? Do you have two different setups on the front and rear?

Coilovers are typically the term prescribed to a full shock/coil sleeve assembly. A shock and spring are the two major components of the suspension. Coilovers are just generally adjustable height.
ek forever guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Dnguyen92

Yeah i have two different set ups. For my ground control coil overs, I can adjust them freely. I know that you're supposed to use a coil over key to adjust the height, but do you think mines are f***ed up? Because I can adjust it freely with my finger when i remove the wheel.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Dnguyen92

I was reading your thread on how to drop your car properly. You already know what kind of set up I have, ground controls in the front/tokico blues in the back. How can I even really determine the rate and how low I can drop my EG safely? Remember, I'm new! But I've been doing the same as you, saving up waiting patiently. As for keeping the car I'm not sure. It's salvaged and this stock sohc isn't as fun as I thought it'd be. I can't even tell when Vtec kicks in! Or if it even kicks in at all! I have alot to learn about this.. so any info will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
speedygonzales
Royal Member ~ RonJ

I know this might be a lil off topic but only the ex and si (d16z6) eg's had vtec. and it'll take headers and exhaust to be able to tell if vtec is kicking in... even then its kind of hard but you'll notice the rpms getting higher faster. And as for how low and safely? it depends on how much work you put into it and how careful you are. you just throw shocks and springs on it and not take the time to do it right it will never be safe, but if you take your time and do it right you could be scrapping the ground every time there is a slight imperfection in the road and the only thing you'd really have to worry about is your oil pan lol
The bolt will pretend to challenge your manhood. Don't let it win.
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Dnguyen92

Ooh true. Well I bought the car like that.. and I was reading up on the 92 cx's and it said the d16 vtec kicks in at 4500.. I guess I dont have it then? because my head said Vtec and It is a d16z6. Idk man. Oh and just coming into my drive way, I heard 1 loud pop coming from my driver side. I'm guessing its the coil overs.. any idea what is causing the pop? D:
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
civexspeedy

I'm not very clear with what exactly you have for your suspension.

Tokico blues are shocks. Ground Control sells coilovers. They are 2 seperate things. From what you are tell us, we are only getting half of the information we really need.

What shocks do you have on the front? What shocks are on the rear? What springs/coilovers are on the front? What springs/coilovers are on the rear? That should help clear things up a bit.

What do the springs on the coilovers say on them? There should be numbers stamped on them that look like this:

Give us the numbers and we can help figure out what shocks to use or if you need to change your springs. In most cases, if you lower a car or modify the suspension, you will have a more uncomfortable ride. Moreso when you use coilovers.

No your GC's are not messed up. To adjust them, you loosen the allen bolt that's in the spring perch and then spin the perch up or down the collar. It is supposed to move up and down easily by hand. When you are done adjusting, tighten the allen bolt back up. Keep in mind that when ever you make significant height changes to your ride height, you will need to have the car aligned. Raising or lowering a car changes camber and toe settings.

Karcepts - SSC Tint & Graphics
'07/'08/'09/'11/'13 Autocrossers Incorporated ST Champion. '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13 Washington D.C. Region ST Champion. '08/'11 Capital Driving Club Small Bore Series Champion. '11 CDC Index Champion. '10/'12/'13 NCCBMWCCA X4 Champion.
civexspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Dnguyen92

oooh ok, i plan on changing my breaks and rotors this week so when i lift them i'll take some pictures. Thanks for the tips speedy! Very useful info and I'll keep you guys updated this week. I really appreciate the help.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #12
Puma
Has no filter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Main problem: you have 2 different setups. Best ride=1 set up, and coilovers.

/thread.

the o2 sensor got stuck in the tranny.

it happens alright wires sneak in while bolting up somthing. its a y7 motor with a y7 ecu with a y7 harness with a z6 tranny so didnt really need a harness.im very well educated
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
Dnguyen92

So do you think I should get rid of everything and just buy one whole new set?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #14
Puma
Has no filter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnguyen92 View Post
So do you think I should get rid of everything and just buy one whole new set?
Well, yes.

the o2 sensor got stuck in the tranny.

it happens alright wires sneak in while bolting up somthing. its a y7 motor with a y7 ecu with a y7 harness with a z6 tranny so didnt really need a harness.im very well educated
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
Dnguyen92

So i got an oil change today, and they told me the status of my alignment. Apparently it's really bad. So bad it has caused my cv boots to tear. LOL. Sooo I'm probably going to have to put new ones in.. but any idea how I can adjust my height properly so that I don't break or tear anything.