Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Generations Tech > 6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Notices

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 honda civic hatchback, coupe, sedan, coupe si

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Strange engine hesitation

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Strange engine hesitation

I've got this weird hesitation/bog with my car. For those that don't already know, it's a 99 ex (with stock y8) with 224k miles.

It only used to do it every now and then but it's starting to do it more often. Sometimes if I go WOT in any gear, it will bog REALLY badly and the car will start shaking and...the best I can describe the sound....is it sounds like a boxer motor. The car BARELY moves, it just starts shaking violently and hardly accelerates. Then if I let off to half throttle, it will drive normal.

It originally started a few weeks ago and it happened exactly when VTEC kicked in at WOT. All of a sudden the car lurched and it hesitated up til I shifted. Same with 2nd gear. In gears 4 and 5, it bogs no matter what at WOT. Again, if I let off to half throttle, it drives normal. But anything over half throttle and it starts bogging and shaking violently. 3rd gear is iffy.

The weird part is, the symptoms are different each time. Sometimes even when I'm at 1/3 throttle in 1st gear, it will do it. Other times, I have to pop VTEC at WOT in order for it to do it. It's very sporadic and not consistent. Regardless, when it does happen, again, the car shakes violently, barely accelerates, and the engine sounds like a boxer motor.

Any ideas? My friend said it sounds like a distributor going bad?

New to ClubCivic? Click Me!!!

JohnS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
00siboy
lurkin...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

MAP sensor? I just commented on this on a similar post, it sounds like something that senses load, or reacts when the engine goes under a load. I think a bad dizzy would make it run bad all the time.
00siboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00siboy View Post
MAP sensor? I just commented on this on a similar post, it sounds like something that senses load, or reacts when the engine goes under a load. I think a bad dizzy would make it run bad all the time.
See that's what I said to my friend. But he thinks it's a distributor. I kinda trust him because he's done a ton of work on my car and he went to school to be a tech and was a tech at Acura for a few years. But I dunno.

It all started when he soldered a new MAP sensor connector because I broke the stock one. I also took the MAP sensor itself off another y8 since the plastic on that end was broken too. Can a MAP sensor get dirty? Should I remove it and spray it with something?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
00siboy
lurkin...

You could try MAF sensor cleaner or electrical parts cleaner, it wouldn't hurt.
00siboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Puma
Has no filter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

When was the last time you tuned it?
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Hecz

Yea, Sounds like misfiring caused by a bad distributor, inside the the distributor the Iginition control module probably went bad, Actually OR is going bad. If it completely going bad, you car will not turn on because lack of spark. One time that happen to me, had to tow it home. Another compoenet inside the dizzy the ignition coil. that is if the dizzy is the internal coil type. I can see that causing your problem and that part is replaceable. Honda will tell you the ICm is not replaceble by you, but if you are a good electrician you can do it, lol. In my case i had to buy a new distributor. Coil went out first for me, then fallowed by ICM. Im wondering right now if a bad coil will actually lower life of icm faster. .... interesting.

Could be plugs?
Hecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
RonJ
Banned

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Stock 99 EX? What CEL codes are thrown? If you say none, does the CEL work?
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
civexspeedy

I doubt it's the distributor, it would likely be more consistent and across the power band if something were wrong with it. If the coils bad, it's bad and you just wont get any ignition which then your car won't run. I had a coil go bad on me on the highway at 65mph. CEL flashed for a second and then the car shut off completely and had to pull over fast. Had to tow home and bought a new distributor..

If this started after messing with the MAP sensor wiring, I'd say start there.

Karcepts - SSC Tint & Graphics
'07/'08/'09/'11/'13 Autocrossers Incorporated ST Champion. '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13 Washington D.C. Region ST Champion. '08/'11 Capital Driving Club Small Bore Series Champion. '11 CDC Index Champion. '10/'12/'13 NCCBMWCCA X4 Champion.
civexspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00siboy View Post
You could try MAF sensor cleaner or electrical parts cleaner, it wouldn't hurt.
I'll pick up some electrical connector cleaner after work and give it a shot. Couldn't hurt I guess right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Měizhōu shī View Post
When was the last time you tuned it?
I'd have to check my book but as far as ignition goes, off the top of my head:
- plugs were within the last 15k
- wires/dizzy cap/rotor are probably more like 20-30k

I've been meaning to do a tune up but it gets expensive after adding it all up . If I can sell my shotgun I'll do another tune-up lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecz View Post
Yea, Sounds like misfiring caused by a bad distributor, inside the the distributor the Iginition control module probably went bad, Actually OR is going bad. If it completely going bad, you car will not turn on because lack of spark. One time that happen to me, had to tow it home. Another compoenet inside the dizzy the ignition coil. that is if the dizzy is the internal coil type. I can see that causing your problem and that part is replaceable. Honda will tell you the ICm is not replaceble by you, but if you are a good electrician you can do it, lol. In my case i had to buy a new distributor. Coil went out first for me, then fallowed by ICM. Im wondering right now if a bad coil will actually lower life of icm faster. .... interesting.

Could be plugs?
I don't know crap about that stuff. I'd rather get my car taken in to get tested or have someone else test it. I don't have one of those voltage meters or whatever anyways.

Plugs SHOULD be good but who knows. Car does have a lot of miles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Stock 99 EX? What CEL codes are thrown? If you say none, does the CEL work?
Stock except for an aftermarket intake and header. No codes and CEL does work. Comes on while the fuel pump primes and I just had a code a few months ago I cleared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civexspeedy View Post
I doubt it's the distributor, it would likely be more consistent and across the power band if something were wrong with it. If the coils bad, it's bad and you just wont get any ignition which then your car won't run. I had a coil go bad on me on the highway at 65mph. CEL flashed for a second and then the car shut off completely and had to pull over fast. Had to tow home and bought a new distributor..

If this started after messing with the MAP sensor wiring, I'd say start there.
I'll try cleaning the MAP sensor after work. If this continues, I'll try to see if I can scrap a used distributor. I know these things are a dime a dozen too and I've seen a few sell on a local board for $20-$40.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Jersey8
B20: Detroit Muscle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecz View Post

Could be plugs?

awhile back i had an issue similiar to john's and hecz's. sporadic misfiring, stalling, bogging, etc. for like a month lol. it was so bad that it would stall and then i couldnt get it to start. eventually after multiple attempts and some hopes and dreams it would start lol. thought it was the MAP sensor too. changed it out, but still had problems.
then one day i was driving on the highway and it just finally died, would not start again. had it towed to a shop and it was indeed the distributor.
i have my money on dizzy
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Damn.... How bad can you throw timing off if you have it turned too much a certain direction? I know you can sort of mess with timing by loosening the bolt and pivoting it forward or backward.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
CHILD
All Day, All JDM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

you could have a fouled spark plug. sometimes it happens rather quickly. I had that happen to me.

flickr ~MY EKK24A2 BUILD
VIDEO UPDATES: DYNO TUNE 220/167!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerican View Post
there is nothing in the world that can replace a child
^ see what i did there
CHILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #13
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILD View Post
you could have a fouled spark plug. sometimes it happens rather quickly. I had that happen to me.
Spark plugs are cheaper than a dizzy. I'll try spark plugs after cleaning the MAP if that doesn't work.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #14
Puma
Has no filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS. View Post
Spark plugs are cheaper than a dizzy. I'll try spark plugs after cleaning the MAP if that doesn't work.
I was thinking it's plugs/wires if not the dizzy. I had this similar issue on my old crx. replaced those and it helped, but turned out to be MAP and main relay as well.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
CHILD
All Day, All JDM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

yeah, my b16a did it to me. The number 2 one was all crusted over and the others looked perfect still. I dont know what caused it either.

flickr ~MY EKK24A2 BUILD
VIDEO UPDATES: DYNO TUNE 220/167!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerican View Post
there is nothing in the world that can replace a child
^ see what i did there
CHILD is offline   Reply With Quote