Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Generations Tech > 7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005)

Notices

7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 honda civic coupe, sedan, hatchback si

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

alternator not charging

7th Generation Honda Civic (2001-2005)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Dpstanton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default alternator not charging

i have a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe - alternator is not charging. I've replaced the alternator with a new one and checked the fuses under hood. any recommendations?
Dpstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
vjf915

What do you mean the alternator is not charging? Let's go through a check list.

Does your car start?
If so, start your car and keep it running. Disconnect the positive lead to the battery (you will not get shocked, just don't touch the negative lead), and let the car continue to run. If after several minutes the car is still running, the alternator should be fine. If the car dies, then the alternator is bad.

Define in detail what exactly is going on with your car.
vjf915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
TigBitties
Frame Bangin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

^dont do this. battery if a buffer in your electrical system. this could cause much worse problems

"Coupe Life" Member #2

I dont always drive, but When I do, I Prefer to drive Low *Stay Classy My Friends*
TigBitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
young_
out on bail

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Your alternator charges the battery, but if you're certain that your battery is fine then simply go to a local parts store such as AutoZone, Advanced, O'reily's, etc, and have them check the alternator. Most do it for free.
young_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
robbinbadams

Default Alternator does not charge

I have an 05 civic. I just replaced the alternator and it does not charge. The battery is at 12V while the engine is running I checked the Volts at the post on the alternator and it is 12V. Any ideas why both old and new alternator don't charge but pass test at auto parts store?
robbinbadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
gugiey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinbadams View Post
I have an 05 civic. I just replaced the alternator and it does not charge. The battery is at 12V while the engine is running I checked the Volts at the post on the alternator and it is 12V. Any ideas why both old and new alternator don't charge but pass test at auto parts store?
gugiey is offline   Reply With Quote