Our website family:  ClubCivic.com - ClubIntegra.com - TunerSports.com

SEARCH: Forums | Parts
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic.com, a forum dedicated to the Honda Civic, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will intitle you to other site features including access to post your Honda Civic in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Generations Tech > 6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Notices

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 honda civic hatchback, coupe, sedan, coupe si

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

How to troubleshoot what's causing windshield wipers that won't stop wiping

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
» Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
» Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
» All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
foliage

Default How to troubleshoot what's causing windshield wipers that won't stop wiping

Hi,

I’ve got a 96 Honda Civic LX. Recently the windshield wipers started acting funny – in a nutshell, I can’t get them to stop. The wipers failed in two phases:

1. Initially they would work fine if the switch was turned to “slow” or “fast”, but started acting strangely when in the "intermittent" or "off" setting. On "intermittent" or off, they would wipe 2-3 times and then "park" at the bottom of the windshield and turn off as expected. But then after a few seconds they'd jerk out of the park position and re-park a few inches up the windshield. They’d stay like that for 10 – 20 seconds, and then the pattern would repeat. I couldn’t get them to turn off permanently (could’ve pulled the fuse, but was too lazy).

2. After a few days, the behavior changed – now they won’t park at all. Now if I put the wipers on the “intermittent” or “off” setting, they just run as they do in the “slow” setting.

In reading through the forums, it’s not clear whether this problem is the wiper motor or the switch. In an attempt to do some troubleshooting, I unplugged the switch and took it out of the loop and started the car again –the wipers didn’t move at all with the switch out of the loop. When I plugged the switch back in and started the car, the wipers started up again and repeated the behavior in #2 above. I’ve seen some posts that suggest getting a new switch, and other posters think that the park mechanism in the wiper motor is bad, and that the wiper motor needs to be replaced.

Any thoughts on what I can do to narrow down the culprit? I don’t want to buy the wrong part as they are not super cheap.

Thanks!
foliage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
RonJ
Civic minded

Clean or replace the switch.

How does the switch plug look?
RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
foliage

Thanks for the response. The switch plug looked clean. What's involved in cleaning the switch? Or maybe a better question - what part of the switch should I clean?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
RonJ
Civic minded

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2530751
Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
foliage

Awesome. RonJ. I'll give this a whirl. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #6
Kurt114

In an attempt to do some troubleshooting, I unplugged the switch and took it out of the loop and started the car again –the wipers didn’t move at all with the switch out of the loop.
Kurt114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
foliage

Well, it wasn't the switch. I got a brand new one from Honda and after installing the new switch, the problem persists. I guess I'll try the wiper motor next. Hopefully it's not the wiring - that'll be tougher for me to troubleshoot...
Old 03-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
RonJ
Civic minded

Return the switch. If the switch is good, then the problem must be the switch connector. Terminal 1 appears to be shorting to terminal 5 in the windshield wiper connector when it is plugged into the switch.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
foliage

RonJ - I hear what you're saying on this, and it sounds completely logical. Definitely seems like an electrical problem. The only thing that makes me think otherwise is that a bunch of other people have posted similar symptoms as mine and, despite their suspicion that it was the switch, replacing the wiper motor solved the problem. That seems silly to me as well, which is why I went with replacing the switch first.

The contacts on the switch connector look fine, so it's possible that there's a short somewhere in the wiring (or possibly something is failing within the switch connector).

In the meantime, I have been able to get the wipers to stop by carefully turning the switch between Off and Int - if I get it to hold at exactly the right spot, it'll turn the wipers off.

Where to go from here? Not sure. I'm not great at diagnosing electrical issues, but I'll visually trace the wires back and see what I find...
Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
RonJ
Civic minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Return the switch. If the switch is good, then the problem must be the switch connector. Terminal 1 appears to be shorting to terminal 5 in the windshield wiper connector when it is plugged into the switch.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
foliage

How would I test that theory (other than getting a new switch connector from a junk yard)? Is there a way to test it with a test light or something similar (as I said before, I'm not the best at diagnosing electrical problems, but I'd be happy to try with some instruction).

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
RonJ
Civic minded

Scout junk yards for a wiper switch connector, and then splice, solder, and shrink wrap it to your wires.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
foliage

Update: a new wiper motor fixed this problem for me.

I first went to a local Honda dealer and bought a new switch, which didn't fix the problem (they wouldn't let me return the switch - rat bastards - fine print on the receipt said no returns on electrical parts - wish they would have pointed that out before I spend $120 on the switch!).

I then got a reman wiper motor from the auto parts store. FWIW, their supplier lists the wrong wiper motor for the 96 Civic. They list the motor for the 95 Civic, which doesn't fit. The one that's listed as compatible with the 1997 Civic fits the 96. That did the trick - wipers now work on slow, fast, intermittent,and they park as expected.

Thanks for the suggestions from this forum. Hopefully someone else with the same problem can benefit from this thread.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
AlaskaB16
DOING WORK!

Props to you for coming back and explaining the fix. So often people never come back and forums get filled with pointless dead end threads. Beer for you!

... plus my wipers only work on high speed, don't return "home" on their own, and only work when the switch is turned half way between any given speed. So... I'll have to give this a try.