Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Generations Tech > 6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Notices

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 honda civic hatchback, coupe, sedan, coupe si

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Suspension Noise: What Needs Replacing?

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
HeX
Grammar Police

Default Suspension Noise: What Needs Replacing?

For some time, my suspension makes noise when parked when I jump inside roughly or when I shake the car in different angles. Im pretty certain its the rubber ring at the upper strut mount because I cant imagine how the mount itself would go bad. Ive tried to locate the part online, but the descriptions dont seem clear on whether its the mount or the rubber ring or both. Ive come up with the part numbers listed below. Someone please clarify this for me or suggest exactly what the part I need is called.

KYB SM5538 (front)
KYB SM5516 (rear)

FYI, I have Tein S.Tech Springs & Koni STR.T Shocks.
HeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
emerican

why are you certain thats what it is?
what all have you checked?
Y8 AEM sri, Yonaka catback exhaust Megan 4-2-1 header, Megan racing high flow cat, front and rear upper strut tower bars, front and rear lower tie bars, ngk plugs and wires, summit racing distributor cap and rotor button, Accel super coil, AEM ps pulley, c-pillar bar, BWR LCA's, BWR subframe brace,Auto meter A/F and volt gauge, slim fan, maxbore tbody

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=200155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILD View Post
painted carbon fiber is like wearing a zipped up jacket over a purple label shirt
emerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
HeX
Grammar Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerican View Post
why are you certain thats what it is?
what all have you checked?
I say certain because I hear it from that area of the suspension. It doesnt sound like its from below that. I also suspect that because I noticed the car doesnt sit evenly from driver to passenger side so I assume its also in part from those "seats" being worn out.

On a side note, when I take hard turns, one side sounds like it rubs inside, but Im beginning to think its the mud guards rubbing on the pavement. That might be part of the audible issue at least. So ill be removing them this weekend and testing it out.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
civexspeedy

If anything I'd say those rubber bushings for the springs would be the last item to make the noise.

The noise could be the top mount bushings where the shaft of the shock goes though. Or it could be the shock itself that has internal damage and is causing noise. It could also be the spring itself. It could be something slightly different like a bad inner tie rod which I've personally heard squeaking/creaking noises come from. Could even be as stupid as the brake shield rubbing the rotor..

Just about all Civics I've seen on lowering springs sit uneven from left to right side. This is due to weight distribution of the car. Don't base it off of that.

Karcepts - SSC Tint & Graphics
'07/'08/'09/'11/'13 Autocrossers Incorporated ST Champion. '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13 Washington D.C. Region ST Champion. '08/'11 Capital Driving Club Small Bore Series Champion. '11 CDC Index Champion. '10/'12/'13 NCCBMWCCA X4 Champion.
civexspeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
HeX
Grammar Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by civexspeedy View Post
If anything I'd say those rubber bushings for the springs would be the last item to make the noise.

The noise could be the top mount bushings where the shaft of the shock goes though. Or it could be the shock itself that has internal damage and is causing noise. It could also be the spring itself. It could be something slightly different like a bad inner tie rod which I've personally heard squeaking/creaking noises come from. Could even be as stupid as the brake shield rubbing the rotor..

Just about all Civics I've seen on lowering springs sit uneven from left to right side. This is due to weight distribution of the car. Don't base it off of that.
The top mount bushing is what I referred to. I couldnt recall its proper name. Im really leaning towards that being the culprit. Can anyone tell me roughly how long before those should usually be replaced?

Also, would worn tie rods make noise even when the car is parked and you rock it?

The shocks& springs are less than a year old and just fine, and I know the sound bad shocks make so its not that. My camber is also perfectly aligned, so I dont see an issue there. No warped brake shield either. Thats a different sound.