Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Forced Induction

Notices

Forced Induction Nitrous, supercharger, turbo

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

spark plugs gap and redline question

Forced Induction

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
techavluis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default spark plugs gap and redline question

so got my car tune some time ago but wanted to see how people feel about two things. spark plug gap and redline.

about the gap. i have msd wires, cap, and booster core. when i tuned my car my tuner wanted me to gap to .08 in which i feel like it should have been way more. he told me that you dont want to go more and then deal with blow by (blowing the spark out). but i feel i can easy do .20 or more with the msd set up. what you guys think?

with redline, i have a fully build head and block. redline at 7300. but tuner told me i shouldnt go higher since its a d series. but when shifting gears the rpm are dropping just at the point of when i start building boost making it that every lagy every shift. (turbo is a precision 5431) i feel like maybe a redline of 8500-9000 would be fine for a build motor. what you guys think?

also note, i did tell my tuner that altho i went wild with my build and build the s*** out of it and even sleeved the block that i wanted to be very safe. i wanted to drive the car hard and not worry about being on the line of max for my motor. thanks guys.

if u want more info on build
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=191947

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3ku...ature=youtu.be

techavluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
techavluis

bump

Old 09-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
techavluis

bump

Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
civhatch92
That's my honda.

Not too much knowledge about the spark plug gaps..

You're saying shifting at 7300 rpm is dropping you of of the boost zone? Maybe you need a smaller turbo so it actually spools. I've got a fully built B16 my redline is at 9k rpms, however I HAVE NEVER went to redline since my rebuild.. I shift around 7k and I'm always in the boost!
civhatch92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
obracer12

if you fall out of boost it is due to your turbo sizing. Running a standard .55 or .65 AR turbo you should stay in boost throughout the power band with supporting modifications. (please re-read to make note of all important parts) if any of them are off then your powerband shifts down or up. As for going to redline, there is 0 reason to do so in any situation (sans an emergency). having said that, 6800 is your redline on a Y8 meaning without extensive internal modification past 6800 there is a large potential for an unbalanced condition at those revolutions... meaning it will break stuff.

relines of 8500-9000 are when you start getting into girdle support and with the Y* the oil pick-up is integrated (for the most part) into the windage(sp) tray... making it extremely difficult to have the structural integrity increased due to the need for there to be a tube in the middle of it.

In both cases, I would take the tuners advice.. .it's why you paid him in the first place.

As for gap on the plugs, it really depends on the plug. If you are using OEM replacements (aka long plugs) from autozone I would gap them more then your 2 steps cooler (aka short plugs). If you were to tell us what brand and model of plug some of us would be able to better advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyKid View Post
my spark is being a guido and blowing out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Boy View Post
Most of the time, sooner or later, most get a soft spot for a civic's.
South NJ club start up PM ask Q's
obracer12 is offline   Reply With Quote