Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Generations Tech > 6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Notices

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 honda civic hatchback, coupe, sedan, coupe si

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Speedometer working intermittently

6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
young_
out on bail

Default Speedometer working intermittently

So as the title says, my 1996 Civic EX's speedometer only works when it wants to. I had a 1995 civic where the speedometer just didn't work at all and the VSS was the problem, but it was throwing a CEL for the VSS. Mine is not. I took the cluster out today to replace all of the lights and made sure all of the connections were plugged in all the way. No loose wires, nothing. Should I eliminate the chance of it being the VSS simply because I'm not throwing a CEL for it? The odometer and the tripometer both do not work either, EVEN WHEN THE SPEEDOMETER IS WORKING. << Don't know why but that seemed important. Also, the button to reset my miles on the tripometer doesn't work. Could this be the cluster? All other gauges work accordingly.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.
young_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
AlaskaB16
DOING WORK!

Have you even taken a glance at the VSS? Just because there is no CEL doesn't mean you shouldn't at least dig around in your engine bay and see if you can find a loose/disconnected connector or ground wire. Maybe your VSS crapped out or it may need cleaning. Pull the connector loose (if it's even attached) and spray it down with contact cleaner. You've checked all your fuses too i'm guessing? I suppose it's possible your whole cluster went bad at the same time but that seems unlikely. Go get another from the junk yard and try it out after you make sure your VSS is still connected at the trans.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
young_
out on bail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaB16 View Post
Have you even taken a glance at the VSS? Just because there is no sell doesn't mean you shouldn't at least dig around in your engine bay and see if you can find a loose/disconnected connector or ground wire. Maybe your VSS crapped out or it may need cleaning. Pull the connector loose (if it's even attached) and spray it down with contact cleaner. You've checked all your fuses too i'm guessing? I suppose it's possible your whole cluster went bad at the same time but that seems unlikely. Go get another from the junk yard and try it out after you make sure your VSS is still connected at the trans.
I haven't actually pulled it yet, but I have disconnected and reconnected the plug. I'll try pulling it and inspecting it tomorrow after work. Thanks!

Any other input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
techavluis

buy a vss from auto zone. change it. it works then you know it was that. keep the autozone one and call it good or buy a honda one. or but the auto zone one. doesnt work. take it back. come back to the forums for more info as you know its not the vss.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=191947
techavluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
504scene

CHECK YOUR FUSE before u go buying that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when mine was doing that it wasnt the vvs it was that damn fuse about to spaz n die i replaced the fuse and she was sweet fine after that also check and make sure your harness behind the intake manifold isnt rubbing and shorting
504scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
gugiey

I had this problem and it was the plug pins had corroded .
Remove the plug and inspect it .
gugiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
young_
out on bail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugiey View Post
I had this problem and it was the plug pins had corroded .
Remove the plug and inspect it .
The plug as in... The harness on top of the VSS?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
young_
out on bail

Pulled the VSS and it looks fine. Both ends of connectors look fine as well.

It actually looks fairly new.

The fuse is fine as well.

Any other ideas?

After pulling the VSS and reinstalling it I drove around for about ten minutes, speedometer worked perfectly for about five minutes, then dropped to zero for about thirty seconds, then worked the rest of the way.

Edit: Found this online "If the CEL isn't on, and the PCM doesn't have a VSS code (P0500), then it is going to be the speedo head itself.

The circuit board on the back of the speedo itself is the culprit, not the circuit board on the back of the cluster
."

Is he right? Should I just replace the cluster anyway since the trip doesnt work?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
AlaskaB16
DOING WORK!

Sounds like solid knowledge to me. I'd try it. From the looks of things, you've ruled out every other option now. VSS looks good. That's what mine looked like right out of the Honda OEM box off the shelf. Must not be too old like you say.

Perhaps a solder joint is bad on the speedo like your quote says. Similar to how the main relay can go bad but some fresh solder usually clears that up. Might be worth a try and maybe you'll get a DIY out of it
Old 10-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
gugiey

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_ View Post
Pulled the VSS and it looks fine. Both ends of connectors look fine as well.

It actually looks fairly new.

The fuse is fine as well.

Any other ideas?

After pulling the VSS and reinstalling it I drove around for about ten minutes, speedometer worked perfectly for about five minutes, then dropped to zero for about thirty seconds, then worked the rest of the way.

Edit: Found this online "If the CEL isn't on, and the PCM doesn't have a VSS code (P0500), then it is going to be the speedo head itself.

The circuit board on the back of the speedo itself is the culprit, not the circuit board on the back of the cluster
."

Is he right? Should I just replace the cluster anyway since the trip doesnt work?

I wouldn't go buying a new cluster unless your 100 % I've been told by a honda tech that there's part of the wiring harness on the left side strut tower that rubs on a metal bracket and makes the speedo act all weird. I would check the wiring first to rule out its nothing simple
gugiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
young_
out on bail

Quote:
Sounds like solid knowledge to me. I'd try it. From the looks of things, you've ruled out every other option now. VSS looks good. That's what mine looked like right out of the Honda OEM box off the shelf. Must not be too old like you say.

Perhaps a solder joint is bad on the speedo like your quote says. Similar to how the main relay can go bad but some fresh solder usually clears that up. Might be worth a try and maybe you'll get a DIY out of it
Soldering > me.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it, but my trip doesn't reset when you push in the little rod that sticks out of the cluster, so I think I'll probably just replace the cluster, but I'll continue to troubleshoot until I'm positive that that is the cause.

Thanks for all the suggestions! You've all been very helpful.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
TokyoSkies
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_ View Post
Soldering > me.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it, but my trip doesn't reset when you push in the little rod that sticks out of the cluster, so I think I'll probably just replace the cluster, but I'll continue to troubleshoot until I'm positive that that is the cause.

Thanks for all the suggestions! You've all been very helpful.
Sounds to me like that cluster is shot. See if you can borrow someone else's, just to test.
2007 Audi A4 Premium - Phantom Black Pearl
1997 Civic EX Coupe - Flamenco Black Pearl SOLD
TokyoSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
young_
out on bail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSkies View Post
Sounds to me like that cluster is shot. See if you can borrow someone else's, just to test.
Only other person I know with the same cluster has an auto tranny. Does that matter?

I do have a buddy with a 2000 si, five speed but I doubt he'd let me borrow his cluster.. Besides I wouldn't want to give it back. lol

But yeah I'm thinking the cluster is shot. It needs to be replaced just because of the trip alone, so worst case scenario I'm in no worse of a boat than I am now if I replace the cluster. Found one on ebay for 70 bucks, with 98k miles Probably picking that up friday.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
AlaskaB16
DOING WORK!

Do you have a pull a part or salvage yard near by? Seems like you should be able to find one close. I know of several in my area and I've seen more bears wondering around here than Honda's so that's saying something. :)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
young_
out on bail

Quote:
Do you have a pull a part or salvage yard near by? Seems like you should be able to find one close. I know of several in my area and I've seen more bears wondering around here than Honda's so that's saying something. :)
lol you and your alaskan problems. lol just playin. I'll definitely check around my local pull a parts.