Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

steering rack

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #1
SQL2112

Default steering rack

Hi, I got a 97 EX, does anyone know if there is another steering rack that will go in my car with a tighter ratio?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
EJ's Rule!
Got V-TEC??

yup... a non-power steering rack... cars are fun to drive without power steering, u feel like racing all the time, you really feel the road and removing power steering adds more HP and drops some weight... if ur interested or anyone else is, let me know, I could get manual steering rack REALLY cheap....
Old 11-03-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
SQL2112

What is the ratio on a non power steering rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ's Rule!
yup... a non-power steering rack... cars are fun to drive without power steering, u feel like racing all the time, you really feel the road and removing power steering adds more HP and drops some weight... if ur interested or anyone else is, let me know, I could get manual steering rack REALLY cheap....
Old 11-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
EJ's Rule!
Got V-TEC??

I don't know, check ur honda manual... but you can make U turns in some really really small places....
Old 11-03-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
burntaxis
burnt axis

Manual Steering rack from 6th gen has a 20.3:1 ratio. The powered rack is 17.7:1. Manual racks are slower so that they are easier to turn w/o the power assist.
Also, steering ratio has nothing to do with the turning radius
You can remove your PS belt to get a similar feeling as a manual rack, but it will be hard to turn when your are driving slowly. Go a step further by looping the lines to the rack, and you will have much less resistance at low speeds.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
cole
holding monster

theres this thing that you can buy so your tires turn all the way with out turning the stering wheel more than once arround - forgot what it was called
RFCM #03 i cant spell, get over it
Quote:
Originally Posted by $lick Rick View Post
i still like some rice... but that thing looks like it tripped and fell into the budget part bin at pep boys and s*** just sorta stuck on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch_Of_Doom
word. when i hit vtec babies get aborted.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #7
EJ's Rule!
Got V-TEC??

never herar of the cole.... figure our the name and post it, I wanna see that thing...
Old 11-03-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
EJ's Rule!
Got V-TEC??

sorry... I didn't write it correctly... <<never hera of that cole.... figure out the name and post it, I wanna see that thing...>>>>
Old 11-03-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
EJ's Rule!
Got V-TEC??

damn!!!! HEARD**
Old 11-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
legendking
Resident Cynic

Manual steering SUCKS! I'd give mine up for a PS rack any day
Old 11-06-2004, 08:43 AM   #11
SQL2112

Well, the problem is that I complete in SCCA Solo2. I have limited options when it comes to mods but if any of the 97 Civics came with a non-power rack, its legal for me to use that rack. If the rack can turn the wheels faster, I would love to have it because I loose a lot of time compensating for my sluggish steering, especially in slaloms. Unfortunately where I race at FedEX field in Maryland, slaloms are popular course features. Sometimes there is four or five of them on a single course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendking
Manual steering SUCKS! I'd give mine up for a PS rack any day
Old 11-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #12
legendking
Resident Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL2112
Well, the problem is that I complete in SCCA Solo2. I have limited options when it comes to mods but if any of the 97 Civics came with a non-power rack, its legal for me to use that rack. If the rack can turn the wheels faster, I would love to have it because I loose a lot of time compensating for my sluggish steering, especially in slaloms. Unfortunately where I race at FedEX field in Maryland, slaloms are popular course features. Sometimes there is four or five of them on a single course.
Yeah, I feel ya! I was strictly talking from a daily driving point of view.