Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Help... Install Cam Gear?

Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
Evan.
iTrader EVERYthing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question How to: Install Cam Gear?

Alright a couple days ago I bought a new timing belt, cause its about time to change it out. Also though I bought an AEM Cam Gear, which I know goes right along with the timing belt, so I was wondering is a cam gear something you can install yourself? I saw the how-to on the timing belt, so I figure Ill do it myself, but want to know if I can do the cam gear as well. Anybody experienced doing a cam gear before? Can you just install it without any tuning? - cause I know you can either retard or advance timing. Any advice would be helpful.
Evan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
FRODO
Teh Oldest NooB.

honestly it is not going to help you...just put it on and set it to 0.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Evan.
iTrader EVERYthing

At TDC (Top Dead Center) right? Well if you have a dyno and tune it, it could help
Old 05-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
FRODO
Teh Oldest NooB.

on a SOHC not enough to worry with it..you cant tune the intake seperatly, if you read a lot of articles on DOHC tuning you will find that most of the gains are found in just advancing the intake alone..you dont have this ablity.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
Evan.
iTrader EVERYthing

Yeah I know, on DOHC is where you find power gains with cam gears...I was just saying that there you can set the gear to either advanced or retard timing...
Old 05-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
FRODO
Teh Oldest NooB.

yes that is why it is adjustable...
Old 05-16-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
stolle

if you have the how to on installing the timing belt the cam gear will be cake simply remove the stock cam gear and replace it with the adjustable one line up all the marks just like the stock cam gear and put the new belt on. the bolt for the cam gear is torqued to 27ftlbs and the bolts on the cam gear are torqued to 15ftlbs. adjustable cam gears on sohc's really arent that usefull unless you have an aftermarket cam about all you can do with a stock cam is move the powerband around retard cam timing and your power will come on in higher rpms advance the cam timing and you power will peak out in the lower rpms between 5-6K rpm this could be used to improve drivablitity so your not rapping out your motor all the time to get power out of it but weres the fun in that? i have a cam gear i have it set 2 degrees retard...

edit: to be clear cam timing and ignition timing are not related and are ajusted independently...one with the cam gear and one by rotating the distributor...