Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

1997 Civic LX engine swap

Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
JohnnyWas
Not Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 1997 Civic LX engine swap

Okay, so I want to swap in a new engine to the ol' LX.

Currently, I'm with the stock d16y7 auto -- it sucks!
I want to swap to a DOHC V-Tec manual...

So far, I've been thinking of an H22 drop, which some of you may have already read, but is that the best idea.

Also! How much would this kind of work cost me if I were to have someone else install the motor?

(and local heads, tell me something --- can anyone offer some help? tips on where to get the motor other than online, places to carry out the swap? yourselves?)

please guys, help me make this happen. i'm so anxious.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
civic1582
CCSC #86

search around and you can find a lot answers. quick word of advice though, swapping in a B18 is going to be more cost effective. yes you don't get quite the power gains of the H22 but fittment is a lot easier.
civic1582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:05 AM   #3
LowNotSlow
Aqua Teen Christmas Force

From what I've read you should look to invest 5 grand for everything in an H22 swap. PM Jezek he'll tell you.

Function>Form

LowNotSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
Sandals

Seriously go w/ a B-series swap IMHO it is the best bang for the buck. But definately do a lot of searching before you go and do your swap. Get all the information for everything from the tranny to the engine to wiring harness to the ecu. Know how everything should work and go together. But if you want to save some money get some people who you know from their area to help w/ the swap and offer BK and a 6 pack (thats my friends normal fair trade for car work). Unless you dont feel confident with your friends, then take it to a shop.

Where in New York are you from??
Sandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
Abz
This is jus the beginning

Yep it sounds like this is your first swap? Go for the B - You don't need to spend the extra thousands on a H, you will get plenty of power from that & the fitment will be a lot easier. Take it to a local shop if you aint too sure... Plan before you got anything!
CCHB #115
I Lost My Sig
Abz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Blazed
f*** The Powers That B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWas
Okay, so I want to swap in a new engine to the ol' LX.

Currently, I'm with the stock d16y7 auto -- it sucks!
I want to swap to a DOHC V-Tec manual...

So far, I've been thinking of an H22 drop, which some of you may have already read, but is that the best idea.

Also! How much would this kind of work cost me if I were to have someone else install the motor?

(and local heads, tell me something --- can anyone offer some help? tips on where to get the motor other than online, places to carry out the swap? yourselves?)

please guys, help me make this happen. i'm so anxious.
first off...auto to manual is a b****...a bigger one than doing a swap...
h22 swap will cost u around 2-2500 but after u get all the parts needed to make it fit the lx ur looking at upwards of 4g's...
like everyone said a B will go in easier than a H...but it has been done..and more and more people are doing it..ask Jezek is back...he has that swap in a hatchie..
i would advise u to get the motor online..reaosn being they charge like a dumbass from the junkyard..
for example in Flushing by shea stadium the jap importers will charge u roughly $3500 for b18c1 obd1 swap that will come with only the engine tranny and ecu...no alt..no dist..axles..shift link..etc...
but online u'll get a complete changeover with b18c1 for roughly 3100 + ship...
so suit urself..
jdmsource.ca, hmotorsonline.com are good places to deal with...
as for labor..any shop will charge u atleast $600 to do a swap...
i'm a newb at this stuff too ....i will probably do my first swap in about 2-3 weeks..depending on when my motor gets here..so i dunno how much help i can offer u there...if mine goes good then i'll def give u hand assuming u don't live upstate or sumthin...

Blazed is offline   Reply With Quote