Our website family:  ClubCivic.com - ClubIntegra.com - TunerSports.com

SEARCH: Forums | Parts
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic.com, a forum dedicated to the Honda Civic, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will intitle you to other site features including access to post your Honda Civic in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

d16y8 97 ex s40 transmission question

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 06-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
RKSskier

Default d16y8 97 ex s40 transmission question

I have a 97 ex and am getting a new tranny. I have heard some mixed up and unclear things about the tranny I need. I Still want the ex tranny. I believe that 96-00 tranny's are all s40, correct? Also am I right that the ex tranny is the b000 ? I am probally getting a tranny from a friend that just bought a replacement motor d16y8, did the y8 only come with the shorter geared tranny? I am just hearing some different things, and want to make sure I get the right one, so if anyone could confirm this if they know it for sure that would be great, thanks.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
silvertuner98
Banned

as long as it is the s40 b000 u have the correct 96-00 civic ex 5 speed transmission. the s40 a000 is from the lx/dx etc
Old 06-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Nicathug

Can a 96-00 Civic EX 5 Speed Transmission fit a 1996 to 2000 Civic Lx?
Old 06-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
anfrey
OG スバリスト

yes, it will fit perfectly nicathug. i have the b000 on my y7

set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul... you've got to run like an anfelope, out of control!

"government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have.
the course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - thomas jefferson

"a wasted vote, is voting for someone that you don't believe in." - gov. gary johnson

"non impediti ratione cogitationis" - conloquium currus
Old 06-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
RKSskier

thanks guys, just what i needed to be comfirmed, and thanks for the quick reply
Old 06-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
RKSskier

anfrey I am assuming that you mean you have the b000 on your y7 as an uprgrade and that you initially had a a000?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #7
anfrey
OG スバリスト

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSskier
anfrey I am assuming that you mean you have the b000 on your y7 as an uprgrade and that you initially had a a000?
i drive an EJ8. i used to have a complete y8 setup stock. my exroommate f***ed up my engine so all i could get was a y7 (being poor sucks, everyone else would be doing a phat swap.. instead i go for an engine with 20hp less) but the only thing y7 in my car is the longblock. all my manifolds are from my y8... but anyway, my b000 y8 tranny bolted on no problem to the d16y7.

set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul... you've got to run like an anfelope, out of control!

"government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have.
the course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - thomas jefferson

"a wasted vote, is voting for someone that you don't believe in." - gov. gary johnson

Old 06-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Nicathug

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfrey
yes, it will fit perfectly nicathug. i have the b000 on my y7
O for reaal, dats good to know. So the S20 Honda Civic Ex/Si Transmission will fit on my 1998 Honda Civic LX D16y7 Engine?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
anfrey
OG スバリスト

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicathug
O for reaal, dats good to know. So the S20 Honda Civic Ex/Si Transmission will fit on my 1998 Honda Civic LX D16y7 Engine?
the s20 from the 5gen ex/si should fit as well... most d-series parts will bolt up fine.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
Nicathug

6 Gen EX/Si Transmission work on the Civic too, by the way what is the code for the 6 Gen?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
RKSskier

Anfrey... Did you even really notice a difference then from the y8 block to the y7? I mean they have very similar power curves when looking at dyno graphs of them, and the torque is really close. So I imagine that in your case with the y8 manifolds, (do you have a y8 head on there?) and with the b000 tranny that you really didnt notice much of a difference?
Old 06-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
RKSskier

Ohh and I am pretty sure, but if someone could also comfirm for me that all d16y8 engines came with the b000 transmission only, that would be great.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #13
anfrey
OG スバリスト

all y8s from the factory should come with the b000

Old 06-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #14
silvertuner98
Banned

96-00 civic transmission codes are all s40 (except b-series engines/trans), how to tell the difference in the gearing is the casting stamp.

92-95 civic transmission codes are all s20 with the same stamping

s20 b000 is from a 92-95 civic ex/si

i have a s20 b000 in my 98 ej8 right now..... so it does work.

i do believe 90-00 civic transmissions (other then hydro/cable) are interchangable, and as well 88-89 had an input shaft with a different # of splines.... ill research more if needed lol
Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #15
anfrey
OG スバリスト

thanks matt