Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

D16Y8 PCV Valve Change

Engine Tech / Drivetrain

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
c_diddy
drove through a tree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default D16Y8 PCV Valve Change

Members have posted that the valve can snap during removal, although they've been informed that it poses no real issue. Please see page 2 for more information. Do this at your own risk!

Okay, I know a lot of people have been asking about this and I said that I would have done this about 2 months ago, but I kept getting sidetracked and what not. So here it is finally, so no more threads about this!
First of all, I learned how to do this from gabebauman's thread, so I dont entirely take credit for this: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showt...ight=pcv+valve
so if you would have searched, you should have found this before, right?
Secondly, for you 5th generation owners, the PCV valve is located elsewhere. You can find this here by handlebarsfsr:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showt...ight=pcv+valve

One thing you should know is that you have to get the right PCV valve for you car since they're made specifically for it. Anything else and it can cause problems. You can get these cheaply (about $2-$3) from your local autostore or spend about $20 bucks on one from Honda. Your call.

Now onwards!
Parts needed:
Jack and Jack Stands: Saftey First!
PCV Valve
Flat head screwdriver
Needle Nose Pliers

The first step is locating where it is. It is highly recommended that you change your oil first, as you'll see in a moment. But for those who don't want to, good luck lol. The PCV valve is located right above the oil filter (in this picture, it's where the filter should be).

The second step is removing the valve. Here is where you'll need to get the flat head. Do not remove the clamp yet! You'll do that last, trust me. Okay, so locate the hose that's connected to the PCV Valve. Now, just pull on it and it should get stuck; leaving a gap between the edge of the PCV Valve and the black box. Take the flat head screw driver and wedge it between the valve and the black box. You should be able to pop it out with ease.

The third step is to get out from under your car and look under your hood. The hose to the PCV Valve is located in the middle of the intake mani. Pull this out.

Voila!

The fourth step is to unclamp the valve with your needle nose pliers. Shouldn't be too hard without a picture right? Now, get your new PCV Valve and shove it back in; then clamp it.
New PCV Valve from Honda yo:

Here it is out of the package:

Okay, the last steps are to basically do the reverse of what I just said, so I figured you didn't need pictures for that. Ahh the beauty of the internet. And of course to put your filter back on and oil back in and etc. Quick and easy right? Well, I think this should be everything, if there's anything I'm missing, just post it up and I'll add it on. Good luck everyone and of course, always be safe when your under your car!

Ahh, now marvel at my masterpiece , just kidding. This is my one little contribution to clubcivic for all the help and info I've received .
Old 11-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
AliasNeo

yea i was going to do the same thing for a write up but i forgot to get the camera cause i did my pcv valve last week thursday when changing oil for winter times...

good write up tho
Old 11-08-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
dchec

how do u know ur pcv valve needs to be changed? what are the symptoms?

every car on this site is ricey
Old 11-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
J32a2OwnsU
Resident Old Man

Where is the article.. all I see are replies.........................
Old 11-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
c_diddy
drove through a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchec
how do u know ur pcv valve needs to be changed? what are the symptoms?
if you haven't changed yours yet, then i would recommend changing it the next time you do an oil change. some symptoms would be "bad gas mileage, low idle, and stalling" -gabebauman. but if you really want to know if it's bad, you have to shake it to see if it rattles or not..if it doesn't replace it, although if you're already doing that then just replace it anyways lol.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
c_diddy
drove through a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySiIzFaster
hmm...that's wierd, i still see it ...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
dchec

cool..thanks for the info .i'll be sure to change it next oil change...i just did on so it probably wont be for another 30r 4months or so when it gets warmer outside...but i will definitely change it.....

every car on this site is ricey
Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
2kstreetcivic
Runnin to Redline

I did a PCV valve change about 2 weeks ago and my car runs SOOO much smoother and I am getting better MPG.....its a MUST do if you have never done it...you can do it without taking the oil filter off, I did it that way, but its frustrating and takes a little longer...gotta have the right angles...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #9
EXSpeedAddict
POWERTHIRST!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySiIzFaster
hit the view article button above the first comment.

This is not a signature.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
nightryder99

did mine today..with the oil change for less hassles in finding angles plus i was due
well didnt notice anything about smoothness ..im guessing it was still decent but I've heard that its good to change it after 60 000 km
it was a b**** to remove the rubber was so dry that it receded on the plastic hose ... a chunk broke the pcv broke before i got to remove it
other than that ..wtv is good for the engine...
Bacardi cola
Do it ... Just Do it
Old 05-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #11
Rayden
All Stock....For Now.

Ok maybe its just me, but if you replaced the valve from the hose on the Intake...what was the point of going under the car with the flathead...Maybe I missed something. I dont quite understand the first couple of steps. ??
Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #12
Wolfy
Your mom's boyfriend

Holy thread resurrection, but thanks anyway, I was eventually going to ask someone about this... relating to the stalling symptom, if you have an auto, instead of stalling out, will it just hesitate when you step on the gas? Sometimes mine feels like that.

| CCCC #007 - VSMC #004 - CCMC #005 - 2003C #010 |
Old 05-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #13
c_diddy
drove through a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
Ok maybe its just me, but if you replaced the valve from the hose on the Intake...what was the point of going under the car with the flathead...Maybe I missed something. I dont quite understand the first couple of steps. ??
well, first the hose is connected to the intake manifold. the valve is under the intake manifold, not connected to the intake. if you don't understand the first few steps, you should go try to pull out the pcv valve with out getting under the car; you'll see why . it's hard to reach under there and the valve sort of snags when you pull on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy
Holy thread resurrection, but thanks anyway, I was eventually going to ask someone about this... relating to the stalling symptom, if you have an auto, instead of stalling out, will it just hesitate when you step on the gas? Sometimes mine feels like that.
I'm not sure...are you misfiring? bump for an answer though...but it might be easier if you made a thread about it.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
Wolfy
Your mom's boyfriend

Well I just replaced mine with a $2 autozone valve... God DAMN what a difference. Thanks for the write up

Oh and what kind of pussy needs a screwdriver to pry it out... I pulled that SOB out with the oil filter still in

| CCCC #007 - VSMC #004 - CCMC #005 - 2003C #010 |
Old 06-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
oc_civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy
Well I just replaced mine with a $2 autozone valve... God DAMN what a difference. Thanks for the write up
agreed cant believe the difference!

ACT like a clown and we will likely treat you as such..

GONE 91 Ford Mustang * * * * * * * * * * * Birth To Death 1998 Civic EX

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not

CCAWMC Member #13

Closed Thread