Our website family:  ClubCivic.com - ClubIntegra.com - TunerSports.com

SEARCH: Forums | Parts
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic.com, a forum dedicated to the Honda Civic, including all generations. In order to post on this forum you will have to register.

Registration is free and will intitle you to other site features including access to post your Honda Civic in the member's garage, join in raffles for performance parts, etc.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->

How to bleed brake?

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
» Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
» Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
» All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
D16z6PN

Default How to bleed brake?

How do you bleed/change brake fluid for a 94 ex?? and what kind of tools will I need. All I know as of so far is that the bleeder screw is somewhere on the caliper. Step by step would be great.

Thank you.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
modatrd03

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16z6PN
How do you bleed/change brake fluid for a 94 ex?? and what kind of tools will I need. All I know as of so far is that the bleeder screw is somewhere on the caliper. Step by step would be great.

Thank you.
starting at each wheel, stick some plastic tubing around the bleeder valve, submerse the other end in a small canister of brake fluid, turn your wrench to release the valve and have a assistant, pump the pedal until it flows clear in the canister (no bubbles at all), then tighten and keep checking your master cyl.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
jameson1686
forever a post whore

that works but another way is to rotate from the brakes farthest from master cyl. and open the bleader valves (small little grease fittings on the brakes(11 mm i think) and allow them to bleed till all the fluid is clear that comes out. then tighten the bleeder valves in the opposite order then you took them off. remember brake fluid will remove paint and to never let the brake fluid go empty in the master cyl..
Old 12-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
D16z6PN

So your not suppose to have an assistant hold on the brake pedal and then you open the screw?? Wouldn't pumping the brake bring air back in?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
gabebauman
Sk8aholic

Your assistant pumps the breaks allowing fluid to flush thru the system. When it appears that there are no bubbles in the tube, have him/her stop pumping but hold the brake pedal down until you tighten the bleeder valve. Start on the pass rear, then driver rear, then pass front, and finish with driver front. Make sure to check the fluid resivior after each wheel. If you suck all the fluid out of the resivior, you have to start all over again because air has entered back into the lines.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
D16z6PN

So your saying that I should not bleed all the fulid out right?? and leave some in the resivior.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
gabebauman
Sk8aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16z6PN
So your saying that I should not bleed all the fulid out right?? and leave some in the resivior.

Correct...just bleed them until you get all the bubbles/air out of the lines. You might have to go thru the proceedure a couple of times.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
JR-Style
Technician

there are many ways to do it, gravity bleed, reverse pressure bleed, pressure bleed and then manual bleed. if you are alone, just gravity bleed it, wont get any air and you can do it by yourself very easily. just crack all the bleeders and watch the resavoir, when they drip clean, close them and top it up. easy and gets it done.. just takes the longest to have to wait for it all to flush and go clean (remember not to let the res go emtpy or you will have to bleed even longer or try other methods to get the air out)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:25 AM   #9
jameson1686
forever a post whore

^^^ thats how i do it at work. that way i just crack the bleeders and go work on another car. just get in the rythmn of checking the fluid. usully once i go through 1-2 bottles of fluid it is perfectly new/clean
Old 12-05-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
gabebauman
Sk8aholic

I don't see how the "drip" method gets the air out of the lines though.