Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

R18 motor TURBO KIT

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #31
io_303
NIFOC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthy
oh ok now i see where the cat has a flange to the "header".although this "header" wouldnt be very efficient, i guess itd be the easiest way to "just make it work"
the header is cast as part of the head, there is no other way to do it. if anything add a 45 degree bend and bam
Old 04-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #32
Sleeper
92 4doorSleeper

Quote:
oh ok now i see where the cat has a flange to the "header".although this "header" wouldnt be very efficient, i guess itd be the easiest way to "just make it work"
yeah but thats why you dont bolt the turbo directly... do it like how i descride & its basicly like the average setup.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #33
bizoneoeh
Ex-Gang Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by io_303
look at this image posted earlier

it shows the cat bolting on at the top, bolt the adapter plate and turbo in place of the cat and bam its the new ghetto HF mani, and since its already a gasket surface no need to make it smooth.
No s***, that's a good idea

Old 04-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #34
Sleeper
92 4doorSleeper

Quote:
the header is cast as part of the head, there is no other way to do it. if anything add a 45 degree bend and bam
i also said that... & yeah, very true 8) with a o2 "bung" your set. I think your the only one actually reading my post.. lol
Old 04-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #35
io_303
NIFOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper
i also said that... & yeah, very true 8) with a o2 "bung" your set. I think your the only one actually reading my post.. lol
I have noticed that it takes 2 people to say something on CC for one persont to beleave it, thats why alot of my posts include links and pics that noone looks at :)
Old 04-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #36
stealthy
4 Doors For More Whores

Quote:
I have noticed that it takes 2 people to say something on CC for one persont to beleave it, thats why alot of my posts include links and pics that noone looks at :)
actually, i saw the pic, just didnt notice the flange
- Eagle H Beam Rods
- Garrett T3/60-1 .63a/r

Old 04-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #37
itsmycookie
#1 asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug piston
werd... but i seen turbo that run off the ass end of the exhaust. so maybe somethin like that
yep that;d be the best bet
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznwannabe
how would that create forced induction? I mean I can see it pulling out the exhaust faster, which would allow more air to be pushed IN. but what's gonna get the air in there?

I've seen the 350z twin turbo exhaust. they just have turbines in the muffler that pull out the exhaust faster.

but I just don't see how that would do anything forced induction wise.
it works the same way as a normal turbo the exhaust gas spools the turbo. the only difference is where this turbo is located
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahman240
You miss understood, there is a turbo kit that mounts to the exhaust pipe, not for honda's though, and it goes back to the intake.

Running just a turbo on the exhaust would cause you to loose back pressure thus giving the same effect as open header or something to that nature.
wrong. the turbo would create backpressure since it would be the most restrictive thing on the exhaust. thats why on turbo vehicles after the exhaust goes through the turbo you can run huge piping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznwannabe
gotcha. I would just think that the lag would be unbearable. the car would cross the line before you spooled.. lol.
lag is from the size of the turbo. it would spool up pretty much the same as it would if it were under the hood.

also these turbo;s
- run much cooler since they;re not in the engine bay and the exhaust cools down some by the time it gets to the turbo
- draw in cooler air
- don;t need an intercooler, the piping running from the turbo back to the intake is enough.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #38
Matt.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmycookie
wrong. the turbo would create backpressure since it would be the most restrictive thing on the exhaust. thats why on turbo vehicles after the exhaust goes through the turbo you can run huge piping. lag is from the size of the turbo. it would spool up pretty much the same as it would if it were under the hood.
You misinturprtededed or whatever way its spelt my post. I ment just running a turbo on the exhaust, not going back to the TB at all. Which will allow the turbo to spin, and nothing else to happen.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:29 PM   #39
Declectic
SeanJohn1802

there is a lot of researching to be done lol

Dont know if anyone has seen or heard of it, but the Honda Fit's motor is an L15 (1.5l motor) and it's design is very similar to the R18 (in terms of manifolds that is)

here is the Mugen Supercharger kit (although different, the design of the supercharger is what we with R18s would want for a turbo mani)

but right now, like said above the K20z3 is a hot item.. it's gonig to be awhile before ANYONE with a DX/LX/EX will see any engine mods... want to go fast? either should have bought the Si or swap for a K-series

I myself... 6years of warrenty on this motor.. going to leave it stock till time runs out on it, then i'll swap in a built ass motor :)
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #40
itsmycookie
#1 asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahman240
You misinturprtededed or whatever way its spelt my post. I ment just running a turbo on the exhaust, not going back to the TB at all. Which will allow the turbo to spin, and nothing else to happen.
well the exhaust would still have to pass through the turbo... but why the hell would you just have a turbo on the exhaust? and not hook it up?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #41
stealthy
4 Doors For More Whores

Quote:
well the exhaust would still have to pass through the turbo... but why the hell would you just have a turbo on the exhaust? and not hook it up?
it is hooked up.i believe piping back to the tb comes back around
- Eagle H Beam Rods
- Garrett T3/60-1 .63a/r

Old 04-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #42
itsmycookie
#1 asshole

Quote:
it is hooked up.i believe piping back to the tb comes back around
you mean on the systems with the turbo back by the rear tires? if so, yes it does come back. and the piping acts as an intercooler the it just runs to the tb like a normal setup.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #43
io_303
NIFOC

Quote:
you mean on the systems with the turbo back by the rear tires? if so, yes it does come back. and the piping acts as an intercooler the it just runs to the tb like a normal setup.
The only thing that scares me about that setup is the liength of the oil and coolant lines
Old 04-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #44
itsmycookie
#1 asshole

Quote:
The only thing that scares me about that setup is the liength of the oil and coolant lines
true i;m not sure on the exact setup of this i can;t remember the company that makes it

i;m sure they are setup different.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #45
io_303
NIFOC

Quote:
true i;m not sure on the exact setup of this i can;t remember the company that makes it

i;m sure they are setup different.
look at my past few posts, there is a link
STS is their name