Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Tech Archive (No Posting)

Notices

Tech Archive (No Posting) This will also temporarily hold all of the old gen specific threads until they are all moved to the correct categories.

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

Whats the optimal RPM shifting per gear?

Tech Archive (No Posting)

Technical forums are exclusively for technical discussions.
Thread Makers: Thread titles must summarize the technical question or problem, and the first post must include the year, trim, and any mods for your Civic.
Responding Members:
Limit your posts to helpful responses, and do not tell members to "Go Search", unless you also provide some specific guidance on the technical question or problem.
All Members: Rude or flaming posts will not be tolerated, though civil debate and disagreement are acceptable.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
TilhasBB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Whats the optimal RPM shifting per gear?

Hello,

I was wondering at what RPMs I should shift up to get the fastest acceleration?
I raced my friend's car (98 Civic EX 2 door) with my (99 Civic EX 2 door) and he kills me on some runs.
I shift before i red line he shifts well before... Its weird I thought i want to hit Vtec to get more power? he shifts a lot sooner on 2nd.

Is there a way to get my Vtec to engage a little earlier ?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
RedLine42
High Speed

a Vtec Controller but you dont really need that, honda engineers know best. Vtec Pops on a Y8 around 5000-5400 depending on the temp, ect... If i was racing i would shift around 6800 try taking out your spare tire to give up some weight...
Old 05-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
YoungKadafi
Redundant security

auto, stock? straight? maybe you need some weight reduction, and some header exhaust ram air combo

But ive been broken into like 5 or 6 times.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
bmoua

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine42
a Vtec Controller but you dont really need that, honda engineers know best. Vtec Pops on a Y8 around 5000-5400 depending on the temp, ect... If i was racing i would shift around 6800 try taking out your spare tire to give up some weight...
yep 6800.....after that you can feel a power loss...even though our Y8's have no power what so ever....haha...
Old 05-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
TilhasBB

Manual, Stock.
Only changed spark plugs, battery, cables since i bought it.

I shift just before red line around 6800 but he shifts around 5000 on 2nd and he kills me. he's just as stock as me.
I heard headers kills your low end... so when I am driving to work and such i would use more gas to move...
Change exhaust first? I am thinking twin loop knock off?

I heard Cold Air intake kills your high end and gives more power in mid range... what about short ram?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
98civichx
SILVER EJ7

a header will help out the low end a little bit and take away from the top. i cold air kills anything really it takes so long for the air to get to the intake manifold i would recommend the stock airbox with a k&n drop-in filter. a short ram will kill your low end and help in the top slightly. i have used a short ram and a cold air. i prefer my stock airbox with k&n to short or cai. i get the low end help from my header and the stock airbox. i also have a 2.25" exhaust and a ractive fireball style muffler. i can kill ex's all day long and my car is an hx. i shift now at 7500 with the aid of a p28. with the stock ecu i shifter at 7000 and had no power loss. just long ass gears though. its all in how fast you can shift compared to who your racing. him shifting at 5000 doesnt help hi at all while racing he isnt using all his powerband.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
silvertuner98
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98civichx
a header will help out the low end a little bit and take away from the top. i cold air kills anything really it takes so long for the air to get to the intake manifold i would recommend the stock airbox with a k&n drop-in filter. a short ram will kill your low end and help in the top slightly. i have used a short ram and a cold air. i prefer my stock airbox with k&n to short or cai. i get the low end help from my header and the stock airbox. i also have a 2.25" exhaust and a ractive fireball style muffler. i can kill ex's all day long and my car is an hx. i shift now at 7500 with the aid of a p28. with the stock ecu i shifter at 7000 and had no power loss. just long ass gears though. its all in how fast you can shift compared to who your racing. him shifting at 5000 doesnt help hi at all while racing he isnt using all his powerband.
wish u was closer to indy, id line my EX up against ur HX, ill give u 4 cars even anyways, i was under the assumption a header helps high end and kills low end. as for the stock air box, that is a matter of preference. i only changed mine out for the loud ass vtec crossover my car has for a single slammer.

anyways, there are many factors to consider. sounds to me like your friend is raping you bc he is a better driver then you personally. i rev the f*** out of mine and it still pulls all the way til about 200rpms before i shift. i really need to get off my ass and do a video of my car lol. and yes, if he is short shifting as much as 2k rpms and you cant beat him revving to redline then you or your car has issues.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
JohnS.
BANGARANG

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

no offense but everyone needs a serious grammar lesson....

anyways, i dont see why headers would kill low end. 4-2-1 headers are supposed to help low-mid range rpm's while 4-1 headers help top end power. im assuming thats why they put a 4-2-1 stock on an ex since its sohc and vtec engages so late.

as for an intake, an intake is essentially an intake. a cold air brings in colder air from underneath the car, hence its name, and cooler air = "more" power. short rams obviously suck in heat from the engine bay and such and are pretty much like a stock box except the nicer sound. id say it all depends on preference. a lot of people will argue about how they prefer their setup but i think its all preference.

as for shifting, i believe most people take their car TO the redline or just before it. if ur buddies shifting 1800 rpm's short of redline and he's still killing u, then theres something wrong with ur driving or ur car. i walked another 96-98 ex at the time when i shifted ABOVE the redline (close to revlimiter). so how fast u can shift factors in as well

New to ClubCivic? Click Me!!!

Old 05-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #9
silvertuner98
Banned

O NOES GRAMMAR POLICIA! *runs for cover*
Old 05-14-2006, 12:09 AM   #10
RedLine42
High Speed

i really dont think hes shifting at 5k.....
Old 05-14-2006, 12:44 AM   #11
Eran
It's on ass-backwards.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Oh my .... these threads make me giggle.

"Oh noes, my friendz bolt-on single cam beat mi bolt-on single cam? Howze can I beat him in j00r quarta myle?"

Where he's probably killing you is the launch. Try launching at some different rpm's, and learn how to butterfly your clutch.

[ CR-XTASY ][ Flickr. ][ Instagram. ][ dSoc ]
Old 05-14-2006, 01:38 AM   #12
TilhasBB

what RPM is my powerband on each gear?

I think you guys misunderstood me.
ME VS Him
1st Gear 6800rpm and shift 6800rpm and shift == we are head to head.
2nd Gear 6800rpm and shift 5000rpm and shift
3rd Gear I am around 5000rpm He just started 4th Gear and he's beating me by quite a bit.

Thats what is going on.
Am I getting less power at 5000+ till 6800rpm on 2nd than I would on 3000-4000 on 3rd?
Old 05-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
YoungKadafi
Redundant security

well i dont think 2 cars are alike sometimes. For instance, i would probably smoke you and your friend combined, with my stock like setup, and my car has a bogging problem like whoa. But I have modified my engine in a different way other than bolt ons, and continue to smoke alot of different ve-hicles. And the funny thing is, my 0-60 seems faster when i shift at a lower RPM, because my low end torque seems like an is300.

Try learning about how engines really work, and then you will whoop his ass, with some "home made" mods

But ive been broken into like 5 or 6 times.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
TilhasBB

YoungKadafi> I am in enginnering I took thermodynamics i understand how engines work. Its just hard to really see what your doing with out a dyno.

How did you gain low end power?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
xxsenceo89x
aka superman

i think its the whole torque thing. torque is in the lower rpms until about 4K. after that you sort of loose it. with vtec i think the torque is higher in the 5-6k range.

what about timing? possibly could b off? i know you said you stayed neck and neck on 1st but it could b possible. idk im a nooooobbbbb