Search:
Attention Honda Civic Visitor:  Remove this block by logging in above or registering.

Welcome to ClubCivic

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the member’s garage to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Go Back   ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic DIY / How To > DIY How To's > Exterior / Detailing / Bodywork DIY How-To's

Notices

Please SEARCH Before Posting a New Thread. ->
Ready to Post a New Thread/Question? ->  

How To: install a jdm parking pole

Exterior / Detailing / Bodywork DIY How-To's

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
dented

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How To: install a jdm parking pole

Mods... please move this to the how to's seeing as i can't make a thread there.

FIRST OFF: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU TRY THIS!

okay, i got my parking pole from icbmotorsports, and i ordered the whole kit that included everything you need for an installation.

first, you need to get into a garage, because you will be spending a lot of time on the ground.

okay, now that you're in a comfy position, take off your grill and front bumper by taking out and unbolting all of the neccessary bolts & screws(not too many). You'll need a philip's head screw driver and a 10mm wrench.

when you have the bumper off, you will notice 2 holes on the left and right side beside the middle cut-out part in your bumper..... this is where the bracket that holds your system will go...these holes will need to be threaded, but i was in luck, because i had self-threading screws that were included in the package.

after you have the bracket mounted and the system mounted, drill your hole... YOU ONLY HAVE ONCE CHANCE, so don't mess up! it should look like this afterwards, and as you can see in the pic, i had the whole system on the bracket wrong and started to drill the hole before i realized that it wouldn't work(notice the rubber stopper i put there to cover it up). this is what it SHOULD look like.

now time for the good stuff!! the wiring harness that was included had ALMOST everything needed for setup; it was missing a ground for the pole. okay, as you will notice, on your driver's side in the engine bay, there is a blocked off hole in the firewall; this is where you will run your wires through.

the wires will come out on the other side right under the in-dash fuses... like so.

and this is roughly where the plugs go inside the fuse box, they go above the fuses in the optional plugs.. sorry for the quality.. i was cramped!

after that, i ran the wires up under the dash and through my console. i grounded the wires near one of the bolts to the shift linkages. it doesn't really matter where you put the ground, as long as it's on something metal. i then ran the wires to the button up under the dash and pooped out one of the thingys that blockoff the 4 holes around your parking brake.

after i had that done, i just used the zip-ties and cleaned it up and made sure no wires were showing, and i zip-tied it to my engine's wiring harness throughout the bay so it wouldn't be in the way of anything. this is where i made the plug come out:

when you ground the pole itself, make sure that you do it to where it won't move anywhere or come off while you're driving. after you do that, make sure the system is working and put EVERYTHING back the way you took it off. I know, i know, i didnt put my grill back; i'm getting it painted so get off my back.

on a difficultiness scale.. on a 1 to 10, i woud rate this about a 3. i mean, i had no idea what i was doing when i started, but i got the hang of it as i went through, and i'm only 15. If you know what you're talking about when it comes to wiring, then it should be a 1. it just takes some time, you have to be careful and pay attention.

and here's the finished product:

i know it's not the best how to, but i'm one of the pioneers in this, so bear with me.

thank you for your time.
dented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
BlackHopeDC5
Is Black Again??? :shock:

Excellent. I really did want to see a writup on this .

any particular reason why you put it on the driver side?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
dented

well, mainly because i don't have a rhd car lol. but some day, if i get a convo, i'll put it on the right side. by the time i get a rhd convo, i'll most likely have sir bumpers to rock the pole w/.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
Shiznit
Stickin it to the Man

i thought they always go on the passenger side.
[ EM1 Crew ] [ CCCC #0215 ] [ vB Garage ] [ CC Night Crew #0021 ]
Shiznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
dented

well, there were mounting points, so i put it on my driver's side. also, it was WAY easier to wire it up and run it through the fire wall to the fuses.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 PM   #6
dented

yep.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
one6
Shorts and Sandals FTW!

Nice write-up. I've always wanted this JDM bling, it's on the bottom of my very long list.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:12 AM   #8
SpeedFiends

ahhh crap lol, I had a pic of something like this on my camera phone. It was on a car I worked on at circuit city. Was pretty nice, since the only other car I had seen it on was my friends old 240
SpeedFiends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
EH2 GSR 7232
Dee Dee Dee

That turned out looking better than I thought it would. its pretty interesting i must say
EH2 GSR 7232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
Dont_Tri

I'm sorry what is the purpose of this parking pole?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
dented

it pops up out of the bumper when you press the button. it helps you to park or to get in tight spaces.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Dont_Tri

How does it alert you that you are close? This sounds cool I wouldn't mind doing this modification to my 99 Si. Where did you pruchase it? Much props this is nice, if only honda invented something that would warn other parkers they are approaching to close to my bumper cause man in NY people can't park. Thanks for the info
Old 08-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #13
Shiznit
Stickin it to the Man

its not a sensor, its just a pole so you can see where you car ends. it doesnt do anything except for go up and down, and i think some blink.
[ EM1 Crew ] [ CCCC #0215 ] [ vB Garage ] [ CC Night Crew #0021 ]
Shiznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Danno

Looks like it's on backwards. My wife has a LHD 00 Fiero and the bumper has an indentation for the pole so it doesn't stick out on a crazy looking angle. Are you sure you installed it correctly? Is the rubber/crome gasket facing the right way?

Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
dented

yes, i installed it pretty much the only way that i could get it to work. i know it looks a bit crooked, but i did my best lol. so.... is anyone going to move this for me?