PDA

View Full Version : si spotting

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 02:01 PM
ahh man i live in g-way nj and its very rare for me to see a si, i dont think i ever have, but today i was coming home from commerce back i was driving to the intersection and i look over to my left and what do i see? a niceeee ebp si about to turn. i was like no wayy i got so excited i tried to follow it but there was too much traffic :/ it made me want one soooo bad

Going-West
12-01-2006, 02:04 PM
6th gen si's?

I can look out my window and see two of them right now :lol: One of them is fast as fuck too (too bad it's not mine :( )

I see them fairly often in Eugene because it's a college town, back in my WA state hometown didn't see any until I went out to Seattle or something

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah man 6th gen. sorry i didnt clarify that, i guess they are more popular in some cities...

Going-West
12-01-2006, 02:13 PM
yeah man 6th gen. sorry i didnt clarify that, i guess they are more popular in some cities...

Yeah, still don't see them as much as you see regular civics for sure. When I see one I usually take a second glance or two ;)

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 02:25 PM
haha i took like 5 glances i love si's man i would do anything for 1

Going-West
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Thats what I said when I had my ex...and look at me now =)

If you're persistent you'll get one someday :thumbs up

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 03:48 PM
lucky...

Evan.
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
or you could just convert to one....

42Steps
12-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Thats what I said when I had my ex...and look at me now =)

If you're persistent you'll get one someday :thumbs up
Or get something else that is just as good.... :P
coughlikemecough

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 05:27 PM
haha ok well see how good your car is once a get my b18 then boost it!

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 05:28 PM

my front end is converted to one...haha

NOFX
12-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Or convert to something better.

Stock Si's aren't impressive imo. I see them often. I used to see then all the time when I lived onthe East Coast.

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 08:48 PM
hmm what could be better than a CIVIC?

NOFX
12-01-2006, 09:08 PM
hmm what could be better than a CIVIC?
I meant better than an Si.

Sundown
12-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Nice.. I see FBP ones all the time..
Its the EBP I dont see ever..

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
whats the f?

NOFX
12-01-2006, 10:30 PM
whats the f?
About what?

NFR_AP2
12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
he said fbp, i know theres ebp but whats fbp?

1999civicsi
12-01-2006, 10:55 PM
i have an si..

NOFX
12-02-2006, 01:12 AM
he said fbp, i know theres ebp but whats fbp?
It's another color the Si came in for '99-'00. Here are the US colors for the '99-'00 Si.

EBP - Electron Blue Pearl (B-95P)
FBP - Flamenco Black Pearl (NH-592P)
MR - Milano Red (R-81)

Genuine Rolla
12-02-2006, 01:59 AM
I wasnt too impressed with the Si when i drove it...I thought it would have more umph to it...:what:

NFR_AP2
12-02-2006, 03:05 AM
really? it didnt seem that fast...

proud to be reppin the mr!!!!!!

Going-West
12-02-2006, 03:51 AM
Or get something else that is just as good.... :P
coughlikemecough

Yeah, or you could get a purple hatch with no powersteering :lol:

By the way, si's are overrated, and slow. But I'd rather have my si than any other civic =)

NFR_AP2
12-02-2006, 09:14 AM
true. +1 for going the direction of west

Going-West
12-02-2006, 09:19 AM
That is where I'm going after all =)

1999civicsi
12-02-2006, 09:36 AM
si s are not that slow....i think my si has a little pair of balls...yea it aint fuking out but its not that slow

NOFX
12-02-2006, 09:41 AM
It might not be slow... but it's definately not fast.

1999civicsi
12-02-2006, 09:43 AM
i kno its not fast...all im saying is the power it has for wat it is ...is decent...

Going-West
12-02-2006, 09:45 AM
When people ask me if my car is fast I say it pulls pretty good in the high rpms, which it does. Below 4000 it's pretty slow though, it's got plenty of high end for the weight, if it had some more torque down low it would be a lot zippier.

1999civicsi
12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
When people ask me if my car is fast I say it pulls pretty good in the high rpms, which it does. Below 4000 it's pretty slow though, it's got plenty of high end for the weight, if it had some more torque down low it would be a lot zippier.
i agree ...the car is nothing without VTEC.....below 5500 rpms is just an annoying wait sometimes for VTEC to kick in ...

Going-West
12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
i agree ...the car is nothing without VTEC.....below 5500 rpms is just an annoying wait sometimes for VTEC to kick in ...

Yeah, except in 1st gear which pulls fairly well from lower rpms because it's rediculously short. When I put a gst bottom end on that will solve that hopefully, or at least make it a little funner to put around in.

NOFX
12-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I'd say for what it is, the Si is less impressive than the EX. I mean, both 1.6L VTEC motors, one gains an dextra cam, and only 33 more hp. I'd compare the EX to the V6 Mustang, but then again, V6 Mustangs have crappy performance for their displacement imo.

Going-West
12-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I'd say for what it is, the Si is less impressive than the EX. I mean, both 1.6L VTEC motors, one gains an dextra cam, and only 33 more hp. I'd compare the EX to the V6 Mustang, but then again, V6 Mustangs have crappy performance for their displacement imo.

I don't see how a car with the same size engine, and more more weight, yet performs better in every single way better than a similiar car is less impressive than the first car.

33 hp isn't a lot just as a number, but for naturally aspirated 1.6L engine its a significant gain. Don't look at it as 33hp, look at is an a roughly 25% increase on the original horsepower number. Thats a huge gain for such a small motor.

NOFX
12-02-2006, 12:03 PM
99 lb difference betwen the '99 Civic EX and Si btw (both manual for comparision - this is close to a tenth of a second difference btw). The EX gets a 16.7 second quarter mile while the Si gets a 15.7 second quarter mile. I wish I could remember what each model went for new in particular.

Funny thing is... the reason an Si is quick, is the transmission. An EX's gearing would cruise at 70mph in 5th at 3100rpm. An Si's gearing would cruise at 70 in 5th at 3900rpm.

JohnS.
12-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I pass by a MR one everyday on the bus to class. Lowered, bronze rims (look like circuit 9's), cf hood, oem yellow foggies.

Evan.
12-02-2006, 08:35 PM
the only reason id cop an si, or convert to one (like I am) is for the pure fact of how rare they are becoming, its the one car that wont loose value.

Going-West
12-02-2006, 11:29 PM
99 lb difference betwen the '99 Civic EX and Si btw (both manual for comparision - this is close to a tenth of a second difference btw). The EX gets a 16.7 second quarter mile while the Si gets a 15.7 second quarter mile. I wish I could remember what each model went for new in particular.

Funny thing is... the reason an Si is quick, is the transmission. An EX's gearing would cruise at 70mph in 5th at 3100rpm. An Si's gearing would cruise at 70 in 5th at 3900rpm.

Yea, so the si, given only it's weight should run a 16.8
Add the new engine and tranny, and it shaves off over a second of the quarter mile. Given the engine is the same size as the ex, that's impressive to me.
You just listed a reason why the si is quicker (tranny) you didn't say why that makes it less impressive.

NOFX
12-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Yea, so the si, given only it's weight should run a 16.8
Add the new engine and tranny, and it shaves off over a second of the quarter mile. Given the engine is the same size as the ex, that's impressive to me.
You just listed a reason why the si is quicker (tranny) you didn't say why that makes it less impressive.
you're adding a tranny, that's all. The motor honestly doesn't mean that much (besides redline).

Going-West
12-02-2006, 11:42 PM
you're adding a tranny, that's all. The motor honestly doesn't mean that much (besides redline).

You're not answering my question of how just because there's only a few things added (which make it quite a bit faster) it makes it less impressive.

NOFX
12-02-2006, 11:46 PM
You're not answering my question of how just because there's only a few things added (which make it quite a bit faster) it makes it less impressive.
For what is done to the car (new transmission, completely different upgraded motor) only a second isn't that great imo.

A 6th gen Si will always be a waste of money imo. The only used Si right now worth choosing over other trims is the 7th gen Si (cheapest and lightest chassis in the US that accepts a K-series stock).

Going-West
12-02-2006, 11:52 PM
For what is done to the car (new transmission, completely different upgraded motor) only a second isn't that great imo.

You just said the motor didn't mean much though.

When you say "completley different upgraded motor" you think v6 mustand vs v8 mustang. When it reality is still a small, 1.6L 4 banger with another cam and higher redline. Add a shorter geared tranny to that...and that isn't really that much added.

But again, saying that it's not that great for adding a new engine and tranny and saying that an ex is more impressive are two different things. I dont understand how an ex is more impressive. Maybe your clear unprovoked hatred for 6th gen si's is clouding your judgment

Did a 6th gen si tease you on the playground as a kid?

NOFX
12-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Did a 6th gen si tease you on the playground as a kid?
Okay, so 6, right? Got it.

Anyway...

Civic EX = $6,000
B18B = $1500
B16 tranny = $600
Engine swap = $600
Total = $8,700

Civic Si = $10,000

So I see someone with $1,300 in their pocket fucking up EM1s.

A Civic Si is just a waste. Everything good about the Civic EX, but a poor swap candidate.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Okay, so 6, right? Got it.

Anyway...

Civic EX = $6,000
B18B = $1500
B16 tranny = $600
Engine swap = $600
Total = $8,700

Civic Si = $10,000

So I see someone with $1,300 in their pocket fucking up EM1s.

A Civic Si is just a waste. Everything good about the Civic EX, but a poor swap candidate.

You're still not answering my question Amy.

How is a civic ex more impressive than a civic si? Oh wait, it's not.

By the way, the "put this amount of money into this car and it will smoke this car" argument is the most overused and simply faulty arugment in the car world. You're still tiptoeing around your original statment.

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:05 AM
r81 for the w1n. i love my si. too bad the people in this town cant keep there cars away from it... :( it saddens me to see the way it is right now

NOFX
12-03-2006, 12:07 AM
You're still not answering my question Amy.

How is a civic ex more impressive than a civic si? Oh wait, it's not.

By the way, the "put this amount of money into this car and it will smoke this car" argument is the most overused and simply faulty arugment in the car world. You're still tiptoeing around your original statment.
Did you miss what I just said? It's way overpriced for the performance.
r81 for the w1n.
:werd:
Is yours base R-81, or does it have a factory code after it?

Going-West
12-03-2006, 12:08 AM

And that makes the ex more impressive how. Were not talking about value here. I already said that the si is overrated and slow. You said the civic ex is more impressive. It's not.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 12:10 AM
And that makes the ex more impressive how. Were not talking about value here. I already said that the si is overrated and slow. You said the civic ex is more impressive. It's not.
Apparently you're impressed by differnt things than I am.

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:12 AM

:werd:
Is yours base R-81, or does it have a factory code after it?
the door jam is as follows.

Interior Color
Type K

Exterior Color
r81

as ys42

Going-West
12-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Apparently you're impressed by differnt things than I am.

Yeah, I guess cars that perform and look better than other cars impress me that what a car "could" do if you pour thousand of dollars into it.

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:15 AM
the only difference in look of a 6g si and a 99-00 ex is two lips and a grill...
the way my car is sitting right now, i could debadge everything and it will look exactly like a 99-00 ex. :cry:

Going-West
12-03-2006, 12:16 AM
the only difference in look of a 6g si and a 99-00 ex is two lips and a grill...
the way my car is sitting right now, i could debadge everything and it will look exactly like a 99-00 ex. :cry:

And the wheels, I don't think anyone would argue a stock civic ex looks better than a stock si.

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:18 AM
what? i for sure would argue that. my stock si looks better than a stock ex of the same year.

also theres like a $3000 difference in prices between the two cars right now. which is about the price of the b16a2 complete swap. what makes the si great imo is if you wanted to swap to a different b-series motor, all you would need is the long block. which costs about $1000

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:22 AM
and dont forget about the upgraded suspension on the si over the ex. different spring rates on the shocks and springs and a rear sway bar. i was more impressed with the 6th gen si than i was with the 7th gen. 8th gen is exactly what i expected it would be. i love the 8th gen. but shes a fat lady. nevertheless the 8th gen is the best civic si to be put into production imo

qwikxr
12-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Im impressed with how much more popcorn I get with a large, rather than getting a medium for a dollar less... :cool:

NOFX
12-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I guess cars that perform and look better than other cars impress me that what a car "could" do if you pour thousand of dollars into it.
Wait.. I thought the money didn't matter?
And the wheels, I don't think anyone would argue a stock civic ex looks better than a stock si.
I would. Eran agrees to (to show that more than one person argues it).
what? i for sure would argue that. my stock si looks better than a stock ex of the same year.

also theres like a $3000 difference in prices between the two cars right now. which is about the price of the b16a2 complete swap. what makes the si great imo is if you wanted to swap to a different b-series motor, all you would need is the long block. which costs about $1000
Which means an Si plus new longblock would come to $4000 more than the EX... So then that means the EX can get a B18C1 then. :D

Like I said, it's a waste of money. The stock spring rates are too close to call. And lips are cheap, as are another set of stock wheels.
96-00 EX factory --- 165F/80R (P/P)
99-00 Si (EM1) factory --- 201F/99.8R (P/P)
S-Techs perform better than the stock springs. And a 13mm sway bar isn't that expensive, nor is it going to show that much better performance over non-sway bar.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 12:42 AM
and dont forget about the upgraded suspension on the si over the ex. different spring rates on the shocks and springs and a rear sway bar. i was more impressed with the 6th gen si than i was with the 7th gen. 8th gen is exactly what i expected it would be. i love the 8th gen. but shes a fat lady. nevertheless the 8th gen is the best civic si to be put into production imo
The reason I suggested the 7G Si is the ease of swapping a K-series into it, plus that it's the cheapest and lightest US chassis to accept a K-series. The 8th gen is still in that stage when it's definately too expensive imo. Used cars ftw. New cars cause you to generally lose too much money in comparision since they're priced so much higher just for being new. The downside of a used car of course is that it's used and might have unknown problems with it, which new cars have strange poroblems too... but it's less likley and covered by warranty.

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Which means an Si plus new longblock would come to $4000 more than the EX... So then that means the EX can get a B18C1 then. :D

Like I said, it's a waste of money. The stock spring rates are too close to call. And lips are cheap, as are another set of stock wheels.

S-Techs perform better than the stock springs. And a 13mm sway bar isn't that expensive, nor is it going to show that much better performance over non-sway bar.
i can agree to everything except the sway bar thing. a 13mm sway bar is definetely a noticable improvement over no sway bar. and dont forget the rims that cost $250 a piece brand new from honda.

also you can just sell the b16a2 longblock and pay the extra 200 and have a b18c longblock. ;)

NOFX
12-03-2006, 12:46 AM
And you still have a car that cost $3200 more with wheels not everyone likes (me included... sorry... hate 'em). ;)

Going-West
12-03-2006, 12:50 AM
When it's all said and done, you get down to this.

The si looks better (most people agree, regardless of what you and jason think)

It has better braking, acceleration, and handling performance.

And above all, the si will retain its much higher value better and longer than an ex will. Spend the money to make an ex perform equal or better than an si, and in 5 years, the si will still be worth a lot more money.

b16CIVICSI
12-03-2006, 12:50 AM

and the si has 4 way dics brakes something the ex also doesnt have

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:51 AM
im saying for the features your getting its definetely worth the extra $3000. i didnt mind spending that much money for a better base to start things off on. think of the hassles of having to swap... if youve ever witnessed a swap. :twocents:

i understand that there are people that would rather not spend the extra $3000. dont even get me started on the people that bought an ex and are "converting" it to an si. THAT is a waste of money

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 12:52 AM
and the si has 4 way dics brakes something the ex also doesnt have
yeah i was being pretty vague with it. im sure if i thought about it long enough i could tell you everything the em1 has that the ej8 doesnt.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 12:53 AM
I agree. I'd much rather spend 3000 extra to get a new guage cluster, wheels, engine, transmission, suspension, lips, grills, badging, interior, brakes, and greater resale value, plus a much better base to start modding with. That does not equate to a waste of money to me.

b16CIVICSI
12-03-2006, 12:54 AM
=) When it's all said and done, you get down to this.

The si looks better (most people agree, regardless of what you and jason think)

It has better braking, acceleration, and handling performance.

And above all, the si will retain its much higher value better and longer than an ex will. Spend the money to make an ex perform equal or better than an si, and in 5 years, the si will still be worth a lot more money.

=) :lol: :cool: :thumbs up :headbang: :thumbup: :rocker: :clap: :nod:

NOFX
12-03-2006, 01:10 AM
I woulnd't ever say it'll cost a lot more in five years (when they're both, at newest, eleven year old cars).
im saying for the features your getting its definetely worth the extra $3000. i didnt mind spending that much money for a better base to start things off on. think of the hassles of having to swap... if youve ever witnessed a swap. :twocents:

i understand that there are people that would rather not spend the extra $3000. dont even get me started on the people that bought an ex and are "converting" it to an si. THAT is a waste of money
Don't forget you brought up swapping in a new longblock too. ;)

Swapping a B-series into a 6th gen = not that hard.

I wouldn't want to settle with a B16A2. I'd never swap one into a car either of course. i agree with the "converting to an Si" deal too. I'd prefer a better motor, and everything else to be improved upon isn't that much work. Springs would get replaced by aftermarket anyway. I don't like the Si lips (I prefer '96-'98 lips anyway). I don't like the Si wheels and there are better looking wheels out there that are easier to find even. The gauge cluster isn't that big of a deal, but there are others I like more (don't like badging on interior parts generally speaking).

I just see that there are so much better things to do to a Civic than what is done to an Si (in comparision with the EX). And lots of the stock "upgrades" are things I at least would want to change anyway. So it comes down to a hassle of paying too much for parts I'm going to have to go through the hassle of getting rid of anyway and probably for less than what I paid for.

PS - The rear lip is an option too. Just like the one available for the EX (which the '96-'98 rear lip is rarer than the '99-'00 rear lip).

Shiznit
12-03-2006, 01:13 AM
i bought mine used. but the original car owner elected for the rear lip. im thankful for that :D

Going-West
12-03-2006, 01:42 AM
I woulnd't ever say it'll cost a lot more in five years (when they're both, at newest, eleven year old cars).

But...it will. Si's have a higher resale value and are more rare than ex's are. It's value will be higher in 5 years than an ex of similiar condition, theres no way of getting around that.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 01:50 AM
But...it will. Si's have a higher resale value and are more rare than ex's are. It's value will be higher in 5 years than an ex of similiar condition, theres no way of getting around that.
It won't cost *a lot* more. It might cost some, but it won't be that huge of a difference in the least.

Basically the Si is ok if you just want something like it out of the box. if you plan to swap though... get a cheaper platform.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 01:55 AM
Ok Amy, you obviously hate si's and b16's for some reason. You say it's a waste of money, it's not. I'm not going to convince you to buy one, but saying it's a waste of money and ex's are more impressive is just plain wrong.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Ok Amy, you obviously hate si's and b16's for some reason. You say it's a waste of money, it's not. I'm not going to convince you to buy one, but saying it's a waste of money and ex's are more impressive is just plain wrong.
I explained how it's a waste of money for what I want. If you want a B16A2 in your car, it's probably the best deal you can find. If you want it straight from the factory like that, it's the best deal. but if you want a better base motor, it's not.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 02:39 AM
A waste of money for what you want, and a waste of money in general are two entirley different things.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 02:52 AM
It's a waste of money for a lot of people. Of course it's not a waste of money for somen, who for example, doesn't want to modify their car. I'm sure that's true for a lot of higher trims of differnt model cars out there.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 03:00 AM
It's a waste of money for a lot of people. Of course it's not a waste of money for somen, who for example, doesn't want to modify their car. I'm sure that's true for a lot of higher trims of differnt model cars out there.

Well buying an ex and spending all that money to get it up to the performace of an si is a waste of money for a lot of people too.

Are you suggesting that a b16 is a worse platform for mods than a d16? Thats hilarious. Sure it costs more, but at the end of the day is still better...much better.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Well buying an ex and spending all that money to get it up to the performace of an si is a waste of money for a lot of people too.

Are you suggesting that a b16 is a worse platform for mods than a d16? Thats hilarious. Sure it costs more, but at the end of the day is still better...much better.
You're assuming too much.

I was suggesting buying an EX and putting it past the performance of an Si. I'm suggesting a swap (not a B16 either). I don't make it a secret that I don't like D-series motors. :what:

Going-West
12-03-2006, 03:06 AM
You're assuming too much.

I was suggesting buying an EX and putting it past the performance of an Si. I'm suggesting a swap (not a B16 either). I don't make it a secret that I don't like D-series motors. :what:

It's no secret that you can boost or swap out a d series motor from an ex or dx or whatever and make it faster than a si. Can you swap out a geo metros motor and make it faster than a stock corvette? Yes, does that make the vette a waste of money? No. It's an extreme example, but it doesn't make the si (or the vette) a waste. Nor does it make the lesser of the two more impressive.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 03:23 AM
It's no secret that you can boost or swap out a d series motor from an ex or dx or whatever and make it faster than a si. Can you swap out a geo metros motor and make it faster than a stock corvette? Yes, does that make the vette a waste of money? No. It's an extreme example, but it doesn't make the si (or the vette) a waste. Nor does it make the lesser of the two more impressive.
I'd say that's a poor coimparision to our original comparision of the EX versus the Si, which are virtually the same except for a handful of parts (the price is also much more comparable).

Going-West
12-03-2006, 03:24 AM
I'd say that's a poor coimparision to our original comparision of the EX versus the Si, which are virtually the same except for a handful of parts (the price is also much more comparable).

I said it's an extreme example...but the ex is still a lesser car than an si, so IMO it still applies. I don't think the ex is a waste of money, and I don't think the si is a waste either. They are both cars, just the si is better from the factory.

Evan.
12-03-2006, 03:46 AM
On a sidenote, I saw alot of people mis-understand me about what I said about "converting" my ex to an si. All meant was that I think that OEM upgrades can be the best in some situations and to upgrade to si things, such as rear disc.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 04:11 AM
I said it's an extreme example...but the ex is still a lesser car than an si, so IMO it still applies. I don't think the ex is a waste of money, and I don't think the si is a waste either. They are both cars, just the si is better from the factory.
"Better" is relative too though. For example, like how I described, for some an EX would be better. For others I'm sure an HX or GX would be better. For other uses the CX is better and for others the DX or LX. The slight variations are what has helped Honda keep such high sales. :)
On a sidenote, I saw alot of people mis-understand me about what I said about "converting" my ex to an si. All meant was that I think that OEM upgrades can be the best in some situations and to upgrade to si things, such as rear disc.
Oh definately. OEM parts are great. I'd never limit myself to only one trim though. Hondas are so compatible with other Hondas. It's easy to take advantage of the different OEM parts out there availeble to put on our cars with little modification.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 04:14 AM
"Better" is relative too though. For example, like how I described, for some an EX would be better. For others I'm sure an HX or GX would be better. For other uses the CX is better and for others the DX or LX. The slight variations are what has helped Honda keep such high sales. :)

i agree, different trims are better for different people. But your statment that the si is a waste of money I just don't agree with. I'm sure people can research and see what is right for them, like you and I did for the cars we have.

Evan.
12-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Oh definately. OEM parts are great. I'd never limit myself to only one trim though. Hondas are so compatible with other Hondas. It's easy to take advantage of the different OEM parts out there availeble to put on our cars with little modification.

Agreed. The only reason I was sticking to the si model was purely for the rarity of the parts, in that its becoming more and more rare to see EM1s around. I mean, I have CTR / ITR parts too, its just with the 99-00 chassis and being an EX, its like the SI is your model kinda sought after (not every part - just some things are really good to upgrade to). For instance, i slapped the SI lip on there, but went for the ITR sway bar. Choosing whether to upgrade your EX to an SI or to CTR / ITR is really one of personal preferance which is why this debate has gone on as so.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 05:24 AM
The Si still is, imo, a waste of money. For me. Lke I keep saying. Think of it this way. I buy an Si. I swap the motor, possibly the transmission, the grill, the springs, the wheels, remove the badging, remove or replace the tall spoiler, probably keep the front lip for lack of a better one, probably swap the cluster, and swap the seats.

Now, I would say that in my case buying an Si was a waste of money.

And as far as OEM parts to ad to your car, there are so many other trims besides the CTR, ITR, and Si. ;) Start looking at all the other Civics around the world. There are so many interesting OEM parts out there that we don't even get in the US (and so you might not be familiar with). :)

Going-West
12-03-2006, 05:29 AM
My god give it a rest Amy, you cannot prove that the si is less impressive than an ex like you originally said.

The si may be a waste of money for YOU, and YOUR needs, but not for most. For most it is more than worth it. I tried to say in my last post lets agree to disagree, that everyone should figure out what they want to do for themselves. Can't you just do that?

NOFX
12-03-2006, 05:38 AM
My god give it a rest Amy, you cannot prove that the si is less impressive than an ex like you originally said.

The si may be a waste of money for YOU, and YOUR needs, but not for most. For most it is more than worth it. I tried to say in my last post lets agree to disagree, that everyone should figure out what they want to do for themselves. Can't you just do that?
Maybe you should too then. :what: I say it's a waste imo and you try to tell me I'm wrong. I'm only saying that it would be a waste of money for some people.

And as far as the average car modifier... I'd say that there's a good posibility it would be a waste to them too. Now, in the event my mom or my sister (examples of peopel who don't modify cars)were to ever buy one... of course it wouldn't be a waste since they'd never modify it, but then again they don't need any of the performance extras it has over the other trims either.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Maybe you should too then. :what: I say it's a waste imo and you try to tell me I'm wrong. I'm only saying that it would be a waste of money for some people.

And as far as the average car modifier... I'd say that there's a good posibility it would be a waste to them too. Now, in the event my mom or my sister (examples of peopel who don't modify cars)were to ever buy one... of course it wouldn't be a waste since they'd never modify it, but then again they don't need any of the performance extras it has over the other trims either.

Or for people that want to have a car with a perfectly capable and potent motor (much more so than the one in a stock ex or any lesser trim line) and work on that, instead of having the hassle of swapping the d series out. If you're going to end up with a b-series anyway, why buy an ex? THAT seems like a waste to me.

It's funny that people who dont drive them say it's a waste, but pretty much all the people that do drive them are perfectly happy with them. That being said, it's not a waste of money for most, also considering people that dont have them, but want them.

Like I said in post #80, we should be able to agree to disagree, but apparently you can't do that :what:

NOFX
12-03-2006, 05:49 AM
Or for people that want to have a car with a perfectly capable and potent motor (much more so than the one in a stock ex or any lesser trim line) and work on that, instead of having the hassle of swapping the d series out. If you're going to end up with a b-series anyway, why buy an ex? THAT seems like a waste to me.

It's funny that people who dont drive them say it's a waste, but pretty much all the people that do drive them are perfectly happy with them. That being said, it's not a waste of money for most, also considering people that dont have them, but want them.

Like I said in post #80, we should be able to agree to disagree, but apparently you can't do that :what:
Why drive an EX when I want a B-series anyway? Because the EX is cheaper than the Si, doesn't have the "steal me" reputation and well, I don't want a B16A2. :what: I want a B20 if you must know. Way different from a B16.

I'm saying it'd be wa waste for me and for other people. I'm not saying it was a waste for you. So you're happy with an Si. That's great for you. I'd be unhappy with an Si.

I agreed to disagree... yet you seem insistant on telling me that I'm wrong. Notice I keep saying it's a waste for me and people like me.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Why drive an EX when I want a B-series anyway? Because the EX is cheaper than the Si, doesn't have the "steal me" reputation and well, I don't want a B16A2. :what: I want a B20 if you must know. Way different from a B16.

I'm saying it'd be wa waste for me and for other people. I'm not saying it was a waste for you. So you're happy with an Si. That's great for you. I'd be unhappy with an Si.

I agreed to disagree... yet you seem insistant on telling me that I'm wrong. Notice I keep saying it's a waste for me and people like me.

I was reffering to you, just people in general. Unless you want a non-vtec b series, you already have one of the best b series head's and the best series trans, ecu, sensors, mounts and axles, all you need, like Shiznit said is a longblock. Like I said, if you want a vtec b series like most people, and you have the choice between a si or ex, buying anything other than the si would be a waste.

You keep saying it would be a waste for you is ok, which you didn't say originally. You said it would be a waste in general, which it's not. I said it's not a waste, but people should research and figure out what they want for themselves and their needs. THAT is agreeing to disagree, what you are doing is accepting nothing else but your own opinion.

And you still havent answered why the si is less impressive, you seem to be avoiding that.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 06:07 AM
I was reffering to you, just people in general. Unless you want a non-vtec b series, you already have one of the best b series head's and the best series trans, ecu, sensors, mounts and axles, all you need, like Shiznit said is a longblock. Like I said, if you want a vtec b series like most people, and you have the choice between a si or ex, buying anything other than the si would be a waste.

You keep saying it would be a waste for you is ok, which you didn't say originally. You said it would be a waste in general, which it's not. I said it's not a waste, but people should research and figure out what they want for themselves and their needs. THAT is agreeing to disagree, what you are doing is accepting nothing else but your own opinion.

And you still havent answered why the si is less impressive, you seem to be avoiding that.
No.. I did answer why the Si is less impressive. You just refuse to believe it. At least refuse to believe that I see it as less impressive because of what posted.

You seem to be avoiding noticing I answered a long time ago.

Going-West
12-03-2006, 06:10 AM
No.. I did answer why the Si is less impressive. You just refuse to believe it. At least refuse to believe that I see it as less impressive because of what posted.

You seem to be avoiding noticing I answered a long time ago.

Like I've said a few times in this thread, what you believe what is right for you, and what things really are, are two different things.

Just because it doesn't fit your needs does not make it a waste of money in general.

Just because you THINK a slower, worse handling, and less attractive ex is more impresive than a si, which handles and looks better...doesn't mean it is.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Like I've said a few times in this thread, what you believe what is right for you, and what things really are, are two different things.

Just because it doesn't fit your needs does not make it a waste of money in general.

Just because for some reason you think a slower, less attractive car that handles worse is less impressive than one that is faster and does handle better, doesn't mean it's less impressive.
Do you realize you just tried to say, "Just because for some reason you think (an EX) is less impressive than (an Si), doesn't mean it's less impressive."?

Going-West
12-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Do you realize you just tried to say, "Just because for some reason you think (an EX) is less impressive than (an Si), doesn't mean it's less impressive."?

You know what I meant you Nazi :lol:

NOFX
12-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Hear that all other people with Si's? He hates Si's too. :cry: :lol:

Going-West
12-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Hear that all other people with Si's? He hates Si's too. :cry: :lol:

Yea, and I have one too...what does that say :lol:

Can we just agree to disagree please? This is getting rediculous.

NOFX
12-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Yea, and I have one too...what does that say :lol:

Can we just agree to disagree please? This is getting rediculous.
It says you hate yourself. :P

I already said the part about agreeing to disagree tooooooo! Are we going to fight about whether or not we agree to disagree now?

Going-West
12-03-2006, 06:27 AM
It says you hate yourself. :P

I already said the part about agreeing to disagree tooooooo! Are we going to fight about whether or not we agree to disagree now?

I know I hate myself...I'm an emo kid remember.

NFR_AP2
12-03-2006, 07:19 PM
haha, i should start posts like this more often, you two are too funny

95civicvx
12-16-2006, 02:44 AM
What i don't see in my city is 5th gen hatches, Thats why i got me on son

RKSskier
12-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Interesting thread, lots of good points both ways. I think it all boils down to what YOU personally want out of YOUR car. If you want to do a big crazy build then I say an ex over si. If you are going to swap or build an engine, suspension etc. Then you will still be replacing the nicer stuff off the si. I mean stock for stock an si will be faster, handle better, and imo (and most people's) look better. But if you want the best handling and swap the springs, shocks, and sways anyways, then have the si over the ex did no good. If you want a fast car in a straight line, and want a swap or build, then the extra $3k still didnt help. So for all out your going to replace most everything anyways, then having an si doesnt have much of an advantage, and has the extra price tag on it.

Now if you dont want to change anything and want a good handling capable car with nice looks an si wins, or if you want to do small mods, still the si wins. If you spend $1000 on bolt ons for and ex, they wont net you the same increase in power as the same $1000 in the si. And with the si you can actually build it na (or just regular bolt ons) and actually have a relatively decent car in power and accelleration. (good luck building a NA d series)

I think the SI is a sweet car, looks nice and well balanced performance. But the ex's advantage to some is that is does cost less, and depending what you want, the same money could go farther. I have a 97 ex (I line the 99-00 fronts better, but wasnt worth the extra $$ to me) and I am boosting the car, have done suspension, some exterior/interior mods, and will end up having spent about the same as an si, but over a longer time, and will end up with a car that is far from stock. I know you can put $$ in an si as well and make it kickass, but I just never had enough $$ to get an si, and even if I did I would rather spend the same and have something faster, better handling, and better looking than a stock si. for someone like myself who only wants to spend $8k on the car total at most, buying an si at 8k and keeping it stock wouldnt be as fun.

NOFX
12-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Good to see someone understands what I was saying.

Oh, and exterior-wise the only cosmetic differences between a '99-'00 EX coupe and a '99-'00 Si coupe is the front lip, painted sideskirts and grill (discounting wheels and exhaust tip since they so commonly get swapped anyway and well... the stickers are just... stickers).

NFR_AP2
01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
What i don't see in my city is 5th gen hatches, Thats why i got me on son

theres hatches everywhere around here

Sianara
01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
I see them onced in a while. It never get's old I have a ep3 si and i love it! Its far from stock and i "rearly "lose. I love to find one like the one you seen.

LowNotSlow
01-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I hate you.

You run around bumping 3-year-old threads and then you can't even spell the word rarely.

el_betiyo
01-21-2010, 04:15 AM

mymmeryloss
01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
bwuahahahaaa...