PDA

View Full Version : Dubble your gas mileage????

rey rey
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517/double_your_gas_mileage_2x/

Matt.
05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
there was a discussion on here about acetone a while ago. Sure it works good in the engine and such, but it does a beating on rubber hoses used on fuel lines and such.

rey rey
05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Sure it works good in the engine and such, but it does a beating on rubber hoses used on fuel lines and such.

Oh i'm sure....

dank24
05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
probably be alright if someone was running catless

Shiznit
05-09-2007, 02:56 PM
and had steal braided fuel lines

Matt.
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
some one do it!

Jordan_n
05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
ehh

Chris.
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
so how much should you use? he said 2 ounces for every 10 gallons? anyone know if a turbo car could run it?"

Kaotic_Zeus
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
so wont that fuck up the cat or fuel system?

$lick Rick
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
dubble?

rey rey
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
i wouldn't try that on a boosted car..

JerseyStrong
05-09-2007, 07:03 PM
i wouldnt try that in general lol, seems sketchy

$lick Rick
05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=2517
FYI: The acetone is reacting with the catalyst used in the oxygen sensor making the mixture appear" too rich. As a result - the mixture is leaned out by the computer thus the mileage goes up.

The reason it does not work the same on all cars is that there are three different metals used as catalysts in O2 sensors: platinum palladium rhodium or in combination. Acetone in combination with NOx (and others) in the exhaust will react differently with each metal to either speed up or slow down the catalytic reaction of the oxygen senor. FYI, I am not talking about the catalytic converter - just to stop about 100 posts.

Question: am I the only one on the planet who remembers this? There seems to be a lot of people skiing behind the "vaporization" boat?

The reason I know this is that I used to work for Exxon; and fyi, the reason they don't put acetone in gas is that it is hard to get it to stay there and second over time it reacts with different kinds of additives in fuel. Which is also a reason why it does not work on some cars - it's the gas not the car.

They have had additives in the past with acetone - old news. It is good that it works though! It simply had gotten more news because of the historic price of gas.

Also, this is why ASME standards for elastomers used in cars requires (heavily suggests) that all elastomers be tested with acetone - along with other (i.e . MTBE, M85 ...) Once again, very old (but good) news (remembrances)

seeing as how this leans out the a/f ratio, i would never try this on a boosted or high compression car

also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_3)
...carburetor magnets. Busted No change to fuel efficiency.

acetone mixed with the gasoline. Busted The acetone was less fuel efficient.

"miracle carburetor". Busted Far less fuel efficient.

hydrogen fuel cell. Busted The cell didn't work with the car, and while the car did start unmodified when pure hydrogen was introduced, the hydrogen was also violently ignited soon afterwards, making it an unlikely, dangerous - and expensive - alternative.

used cooking oil, rather than regular fuel. Confirmed Although there's no word on damage to the engine from using used cooking oil, a diesel-fueled car did run on it. However, the MythBusters speculate that once this alternative fuel achieves a significant interest level among the public, used cooking oil will be hoarded as a saleable commodity. The used cooking oil also did not quite fit the requirement of improved fuel efficiency, as it yielded approximately 10% less distance for an equivalent amount of diesel. (see biodiesel and straight vegetable oil)

and these quotes are priceless

acetone is already present in mixture of hydrocarbons in gasoline. Also, the guy did not really "double" his gas milage, he got his car back to stock. He drove a late 90s Acura TL or something and was getting 17 MPG? That's a midsize SUV range.

It's called maintenance, he gained something like 5 MPG by doing a half-assed tuneup and inflating his tires. $20 says if Mr. Tightwad had ponied up the scratch for new 02 Sensors he probably would have gained a few more MPG as well.

Kaotic_Zeus
05-10-2007, 04:03 AM
true story. :thumbs up

96_vtec_lude
05-10-2007, 07:15 PM
i wouldn't trust that shit. maybe in a winter beater that i'm trying to blow up....