PDA

View Full Version : Piston Slap or Valves need to be adjusted? Video

ratbastard
11-28-2009, 09:42 PM
http://s933.photobucket.com/albums/ad178/ggfdfdfg4/?action=view&current=HondaPistonSlap.flv

Seeing I think this is a piston slap due to the fact it sounds and ticks like one and honda engines are known to get them, only does this in the cold which is perfect symptom and stops when it warms up due to piston expanding and closing in the on cylinder walls clearance instead of knocking against it.

But I also might think I need a valve adjustment? But it wouldn't be the valves because even it did warm up it would still tick... Anyways watch the vid, this is my car taken about 10minutes ago, what's your opinion guys? BTW vtech kicked in yo.

31dev31
11-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Most likely needs a valve adjustment, then go from there.

ratbastard
11-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Most likely needs a valve adjustment, then go from there.

thanks man, so what are other symptoms of a piston slap like if it was one what noticeable characteristics would occur?

31dev31
11-28-2009, 10:30 PM
More vibration that the usual would be present. How many miles does your motor have?

ratbastard
11-29-2009, 01:44 AM
More vibration that the usual would be present. How many miles does your motor have?

90K, but the kid that owned it before me was kinda gangster and had it semi riced, so he probably drove the piss out of it. 140K on the car itself since the other engine just blew up according to him, probably no oil since this engine had only 1.5 quarts in it when I first got it.

UCCRacing
11-29-2009, 01:24 PM
When mine did that, I drove it for about a month and it threw the rod out of it... So I would keep an eye out for another block to be safe...

ratbastard
11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
When mine did that, I drove it for about a month and it threw the rod out of it... So I would keep an eye out for another block to be safe...

It doesn't sound like a rod knock, also if it was it would stay real consistent and knock before and after being warm, not just when it's cold. And it would eventually get worse, this isn't changing so I'm sure it's not a rod knock.

xxsenceo89x
11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Just get your valve lash adjusted. The feeler gauge is like $5 and itll take maybe 30 mins. Just make sure the car is COLD