PDA

View Full Version : Need help for a hatch inspection.

JDMrelic
10-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey guys.
I have a friend who has a female co-worker who is selling her civic hatch that she does not drive. I know nothing about the car, but i will be going to look at it very soon.
My question is... What are things that i should be looking for? For example, any door panel labels, leaks, any codes, things like that.
I would really appreciate the help of letting me know what to look for, because i really do not want to end up half way down the road with a dead car or something that will just sit there.
I do plan to do an engine swap and make it clean and stuff but that is sooo far down the road. For now i just want a daily driver that will give me good gas millage and runs good.
Thank you!

Avant Uprising
10-01-2011, 05:49 PM
man to be honest if u dont know what to look for take it to a mechanic to have it inspected.

crash!
10-01-2011, 06:25 PM
man to be honest if u dont know what to look for take it to a mechanic to have it inspected.

This. Honda dealerships should just do basic inspections for free. Atleast the one I work at does.

Yeah pull any codes you can (if there are any). You can rent an OBDII tester from O'reillys and see if there's any codes.
What you can also do really quick is a power balance test on the motor. It'll show if there's any slacking or misfiring in any of the cylinders. It's not super specific, but it'll give you a general idea.

Also a compression test can atleast tell you the condition of the rings. You can rent those from O'Reillys as well. Just some easy things to do to give you an idea of the health of the engine

Puma
10-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Hey guys.
I have a friend who has a female co-worker who is selling her civic hatch that she does not drive. I know nothing about the car, but i will be going to look at it very soon.
My question is... What are things that i should be looking for? For example, any door panel labels, leaks, any codes, things like that.
I would really appreciate the help of letting me know what to look for, because i really do not want to end up half way down the road with a dead car or something that will just sit there.
I do plan to do an engine swap and make it clean and stuff but that is sooo far down the road. For now i just want a daily driver that will give me good gas millage and runs good.
Thank you!

As you know, Chicago inspections are tough. You need both the inspection and emissions to get tags.

Like Crash said, take it to a DIY auto parts store and as for a diagnostics reading, they're free. They'll print out any codes you've thrown, and go from there.

Here's a link to MO's safety inspections, and our emissions are almost the same as well. I wasn't able to find a correct Chicago one, but start w/ this one and go from there. I believe you can also contact a local shop that will do inspections/emissions and request a checklist so you can walk through the car yourself before having to pay for the tests, then find out a jabillion things are incorrect.
http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/OtherPublications/documents/SHP-494.pdf

BTW, what part are you from? I used to live in Schaumberg.

JDMrelic
10-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks guys! This means a lot to me. I will try and do everything you guys said.
Kelly i live in Mt. Prospect which is like 10minute drive from Schaumberg.