How To: Install an aftermarket steering wheel (Civic 92-95) EG's

The Rude HB

5+ Year Member
Brought to you by The Rude Hatchback..

For starters....DISSCONNECT THE BATTERY AND WAIT AT LEAST A HALF HOUR BEFORE WORKING ON ANY SRS RELATED EQUIPMENT

1) OK. stock steering wheel. Now it's time to beef up our car security by installing a steering wheel with a quick release hub. I might as well remind you ahead of time to straighten your wheels out right now so that when we install our aftermarket wheel, we wont have to guess what angle the wheel should go in.

2)Pry open the plastic piece below the wheel and detach this yellow connector

3)It's for the airbacg...disconnect it

4)Pry open a plastic piece on both sides of the wheel (the right side might feel like the plastic cover wont come off...take it off at will. be carefull because you wont want to break it in unwanted areas) and you'll see a torqs screw. Use a torqs screw driver to remove these screws.

5)After each torqs scerw is removed, we're good to remove the front part of the wheel

6)Remove carefully

7)Here's a hard part. I know my hand is shown here. I actually used leg power for this part because this screw is on soo tight, you wont be able to remove it with any of your hands, I placed the socket into position whil I was siting on the passenger side. Foot on the socket wrench and pushed with my leg...Try it, you'll see why I recommend using your legs

8)Finally off...wheeew. that was hard

9)(steering wheel) Remove the yellow piece by sliding it away

10)Detach this yelloe plastic piece as well

11)THis is for your horn. disconnect it as well.

12)With all that disconnected, we can finally remove the whole steering wheel

13)Only thing left in our way is the airbag component. Safety purposed, I'd hate removing this, but it's useless now...

14)Let's compare our steering wheel sizes for a sec...well well well. My aftermarket is smaller. Given that I don't have power steering (plus the smaller sized wheel), I will have a more difficult time turning on a stop.

15)time to install the wheel & quick release

16)another angle. Blue & Black is the theme color on this car...

17)2 simple screws will take this thing off

18)Not all the way off yet. Look beneath the steering column. THere's also some white dust hanging around here. Just blow it off. COver your eyes!

19)This yellow plug will finally disconnect our airbag component

20)Sell it on e-bay or keep it for later use.

21)position your steering wheel hub into place. Remember this bad boy that was too stubborn to come off? time to screw him back in.

22)After that, you can install & assemble the rest of the steering wheel on to the HUB. It's straight forward stuff.

23)With the wheel detached, I can take my wheel with me when I'm not close to my car

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rude HB

5+ Year Member
Thanks. Next turorial. Installing aftermarket tachometers. I actually already made it but its 5 times larger than this one which is why I didnt post it yet

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
good write up, but...

i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope you disconnected your battery first and waited at LEAST a half hour before you did this... if you didn't you are either really lucky or really dumb. the SRS system has a capacitor designed to allow the airbag to still be able to deploy in the even that the battery cable is severed in an accident. the capacitor can hold its charge for at least 15min after the battery is dissconnected. you are VERY lucky that the airbag didn't blow up in your face.

if anyone else needs to remove their airbag for ANY reason, PLEASE DISSCONNECT THE BATTERY AND WAIT AT LEAST A HALF HOUR BEFORE WORKING ON IT!

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
^better yet just keep the old steering wheel guys, that air bag could save your life

wetcmonkey

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is there any way of making a quick release with a stock wheel?i perfer making it look wtock and keeping the air bag,

BRAK54

come getcha some
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wetcmonkey said:
is there any way of making a quick release with a stock wheel?i perfer making it look wtock and keeping the air bag,
hes joking boys hes jokin

Hkarmy

Kushboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
should have said were the screws go..that is not straight foward

NivLaEG

5+ Year Member
cruise control????

what happen if you have cruise control??? is there a way to save it?? if there is... how??? would you rewire it..??

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good write up, but...

i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope you disconnected your battery first and waited at LEAST a half hour before you did this... if you didn't you are either really lucky or really dumb. the SRS system has a capacitor designed to allow the airbag to still be able to deploy in the even that the battery cable is severed in an accident. the capacitor can hold its charge for at least 15min after the battery is dissconnected. you are VERY lucky that the airbag didn't blow up in your face.

if anyone else needs to remove their airbag for ANY reason, PLEASE DISSCONNECT THE BATTERY AND WAIT AT LEAST A HALF HOUR BEFORE WORKING ON IT!
lol, myself and the other techs at Acura didn't even wait 5 minutes after DCing the battery. As soon as the yellow clip is detached, you're fine.

However, when working with airbag components, always treat the system as if it was live, as in, keep your face away from the airbag, wear safety goggles, ground yourself to avoid electrostatic shock (audi once had a recall because people would touch the steering wheel, give it a shock, and the airbag would go off), etc,.

NOTE: The Capacitor only stores charge for about 1-2 minutes.

NivLaEG

5+ Year Member
Cruise control???? I want to keep my cruise control...anyone know the answer to this????? i want to save my cruise control can anyone help?? me??? thanks