Tach Jumping???

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
I Have Another Problem With My Hatch. I Have A Autometer Auto Gage Tach In My Car. When I Start It Up It Says It Idles Around 1.5 -2.0 Rpm. When I Give It A Little Gas The Tach Sticks At 2.5 Then Jumps To 3.5. If Thats Not Bad Enough When I Give Full Throttle The Tach Goes Up To 7000 Smooth Then Jumps Down To 5000 Then Rises To 7000 Again. What The Hell Is This. I Have Hard Wired The Tach Wire To The Distributor Hoping To Fix This But It Is Still Giving Me The Same Problem. And I Have The Std Cluster So It Does Not Have A Tach For Me To Compare It To. Need Help.

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I Have Another Problem With My Hatch. I Have A Autometer Auto Gage Tach In My Car. When I Start It Up It Says It Idles Around 1.5 -2.0 Rpm. When I Give It A Little Gas The Tach Sticks At 2.5 Then Jumps To 3.5. If Thats Not Bad Enough When I Give Full Throttle The Tach Goes Up To 7000 Smooth Then Jumps Down To 5000 Then Rises To 7000 Again. What The Hell Is This. I Have Hard Wired The Tach Wire To The Distributor Hoping To Fix This But It Is Still Giving Me The Same Problem. And I Have The Std Cluster So It Does Not Have A Tach For Me To Compare It To. Need Help.
check all the wires that you connected. somewhere some of the wires are not fully connected.

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
I Have It Grounded To The Radio Ground. That Should Be Good Enough Right. Ill Have To Check The Wiring Again But Im Pretty Sure It Is Good.

4doorcivic16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did tou cut the 2 wires on the back for a 4 cylinder> orange and green i think

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if i was you from trying it myself i would just get the built in tach you can get it out of a si i think but you need to get the one for your year if you have a 90-91 get that tach but what is prolly happening is your getting a off reading being attached to the dizzy or a loose wire but i would go with the built in tach.

BIGODUB

bigodub
5+ Year Member
I Dont Know How Old The Tach Is, It Came With The Car When I Bought It. But It Is Still In Good Condition.

trace01m

E thug.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It sounds like a bad ground to me, too.

Try grounding somewhere else and see if it helps. If not, it could be something wrong with the tach, too.

rickles8099

Faster than you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what the hell is a ignitor pack and where is it located.
its located in the distributor. if you leave the distributor on, and just take off the cap. you will have to take off the little black cover inside the cap. on the lower front side (closest to your radiator) you will see a little either brown or black rectangle thing with about four wires going to it. that is your ignitor pack. one of the first signs of the thing going bad is a jumping tach.

any ignitor pack from a 88-91 civic will work. it doesnt matter if its a dpfi or mpfi, hatch, crx, or sedan. they all will work. if you go to the junkyard you can get them for a couple of bucks. i would recommend grabbing two or three of them because they go out fairly often.