How To: Install Skunk2 Shifter w/ Shift Bushings

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there is no need to remove the shift boot zip tie, I don't know why you even say to do so.
cause it is attached around the old shift knob...duh! If I were keeping the old shift knob I wouldn't have to. The new Knob doesn't have anywhere for the old zip tie to secure against, thus why I used the 4 washers and a new zip tie.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 6th gen as well, and my shift knob wasn't attached to the boot. I simply unscrewed the knob and dropped the shifter. Did you try to do so?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh I see the difference. I guess si and normal civic are different.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh I see the difference. I guess si and normal civic are different.
yeah, there is a clip attached to the bottom of the si shifter knob that the zip tie secures against. I guess other civics don't have that?

KyoCivic98

5+ Year Member
so how exactly would this be different with a 96-98?
all the write ups i have seen are for the SI's
are there any different bushings i would need?

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
so how exactly would this be different with a 96-98?
all the write ups i have seen are for the SI's
are there any different bushings i would need?
yeah, the ones for the 96-98 are a 3 piece set where as the ones for the Si are a 2 piece set. I'll look up the part number for you later if you want.

CSB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is a great write up.
Ive just got my new blox knob today and im changing my old momo knob.
I was just wondering why those the knob come with a nut, cause the knob itself is threaded and fits perfecly in the short shifter, but from what i saw its only for securing the shift boot, or is there anorther reason to be used?

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is a great write up.
Ive just got my new blox knob today and im changing my old momo knob.
I was just wondering why those the knob come with a nut, cause the knob itself is threaded and fits perfecly in the short shifter, but from what i saw its only for securing the shift boot, or is there anorther reason to be used?
not sure, I know for mine, even though the knob is threaded if you installed it with out the nut, the shift numbers on the top would be pointing the wrong way. So you have to use the nut on the bottom to secure it so the numbers are straight. Does you knob have the shift numbers on the top?

Youngrasshopper

5+ Year Member
I did my short shifter yesturday but when I went to check out the throw of it, it felt so loose! I must have not added the oem washers and rubber washers. BTW I didn't have to take out my boot, I just popped my knob off. Saved me more time.

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:thumbs up great job with this write up. i know it will come in handy in the future.
someone sticky this

is thsi suppose to act as a short shifter?

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I did my short shifter yesturday but when I went to check out the throw of it, it felt so loose! I must have not added the oem washers and rubber washers. BTW I didn't have to take out my boot, I just popped my knob off. Saved me more time.
did you also change out the bushings? when i did the research I found some people found that the short shifter actually felt looser then before when they went to an aftermarket shifter, without changing out the bushings too, especially in a "seasoned" car (older well used cars).

when i did the mod, my shifter was VERY stiff at first, but now has loosened up a bit.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:thumbs up great job with this write up. i know it will come in handy in the future.
someone sticky this

is thsi suppose to act as a short shifter?

thanks!
depends on your meaning. this is a short shifter, in which the travel between gears is "shorter" but the literal sense, the length of the shifter is pretty much the same "height" as the stock. there is a write up in here in case you also want to shorten the length of the "height" of the shifter.

drekoe

5+ Year Member
nice write up. did this today. got a short shifter like the one you installed (shape), but not a skunk2. also installed a new type r boot, and type r knob. feels great, quicker shifts.

mmmkay

slammed status
5+ Year Member
when i did my shifter and all the shifters i've done i have someone sit in the car and shift it as im tightening the through bolt on the shifter- i noticed its a b***h to shift if you tighten it to much so i dont think there is a torque spec on that- its just personal preferance....

great writeup tho!!!!

honda98civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so im not changing out the shifter bushings in my car so do i even have to take the shift linkage off of the tranny. im thinking all i would have to do is drop out the old shifter and run the new one up through the hole and just rebolt it??

jasony816

5+ Year Member
I am having some problems with replacing the bushing on the extension rod end. Its so hard to put the new one on, any tips on putting that sucker in?