No muffler with turbo?

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Quick question. I've got a few friends running no mufflers or cats and their turbo SRT-4's and Evo's. They do however have resonators. If i were to remove the muffler from my system, extend the pipe, and weld on a simple tip, do you think it would put off somewhat the same exaust note? Or would it be a nasty raspy sound. I'm running 2.5" and they're running 3".

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it'd be a nasty raspy sound. The turbo's do a good job on balancing the sound out.

SlowTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Right, seeing as how I am running a turbo setup, I'm curious if I'll get similar results or no...

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it wouldnt be raspy at all. turbos get rid of the raspy bumblebee sound. it will be loud, but not too bad

SlowTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it wouldnt be raspy at all. turbos get rid of the raspy bumblebee sound. it will be loud, but not too bad
That's what I was thinking/hoping. I don't mind the loudness at all. Thanks for the input. :thumbs up

SlowTEC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Loud is OK with me, it's a track car :twisted:

I'll record some video once I find a decent tip and do the change and post it up to see. If it's too loud I can always cut it back off and weld the muffler back to it so...

4drcivicmaster

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it all depends man. you really cant say lets say have a sti, wrx sound like a civic, or anything like that. honda's even superchargerd, or turbocharged will have a different note to them. sorry i mdrunk. i hopeit helps though

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as long as you have atleast 1 resonator in there it will sound fine. when i got my car, the previous owner kept the stock exhast on, and cut it at the axle back to get rid of the muffler, put a resonator there and a tip. it sounds pretty nice, but thats with 2 resonators and no muffler. its quiet, but im getting a new exhaust soon. you can hear my exhaust in some of these vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyQBj0gLabc (kinda hard to hear but im the one with the shorter gears lol)

(mostly intake noise)

it sounds nice like this, no fart noise at all, deep and very quiet. only problem is mine is rusting out and its about time this engine gets some bigger diameter piping. also remember on turbo cars the turbo acts as a muffler sort of, generally open turbo cars are quieter than open header cars, plus turbo cars sound good unlike n/a cars. try it out, if its too loud just go back and add in a resonator. i think it will sound fine though.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
when i was having my setup dyno tuned, we ran it open downpipe. pretty f**kin loud, but it did get raspy after vtec engaged. now ive got a vibrant TPV turbo 3" system, no resonator, i can still hear the raspy sound barely even through the muffler

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^^ hell yea, im going 3" with vibrant resonator and muffler.
i have a brand new vibrant streetpower muffler and vibrant 12" stainless resonator sitting in my closet i have yet to have time to install :roll:. im trying to go quiet with my system. loud is unnecessary unless im on the track

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how much did you fork out for those? best ive found is a little above the $100 mark for each

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
umm... if its a track car, why not just run open down-pipe?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member