Get a spare key made from Wal Mart

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just wonder if theres such a thing as a key code on my Civic & car won't start except one made from the dealer. Only have 1 key in very bad shape, I plan to replace it + 1 extra, but I heard $200-$300 to have it done @ dealer is just redicurous.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What year is your car?

haphazard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wal mart has made a lot of keys for my 00ex... never had a problem and not too much$

Bruckhoff_34

Built not baught
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just wonder if theres such a thing as a key code on my Civic & car won't start except one mode from the dealer. Only have 1 key in very bad shape, I plan to replace it + 1 extra, but I heard $200-$300 to have it done @ dealer is just redicurous.
your car will be fine bro they didnt start doing the laser etched keys until the 2001 civics.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just wonder if theres such a thing as a key code on my Civic & car won't start except one mode from the dealer. Only have 1 key in very bad shape, I plan to replace it + 1 extra, but I heard $200-$300 to have it done @ dealer is just redicurous.
there's nothing special to your key. if it doesnt work its because it was cut wrong.

year 01-05 are Rw2 or Pgm Tester and PIN Code Require.
as for 06 and up, i dont know, but im positive those
are also dealer restricted keys!

Honda will charge you about 80 bucks for those blanks.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i made a spare for my car and it cost me 5 bucks at a local hardware store.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, Honda and most other places should only charge about $5 for a new key for a 6th gen Civic.

ThaJokaa

Buildin..???
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks god lol it would save me a bunch of money. im sorry it's for my 00 ex.
then ur good man go get that s**t done, but dont all ways trust the dealer cuzi got my keu made by them cuz i had lost it and they cut it wrong so it only opens in a certain way but i found one that works under the e-brake peice so i use that one and have the other as a spare :thumbs up

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Once I had a problem with a dealer cut key. They cut it using my VIN. It stuck in the ignition (not the doors) and wouldn't come out. Come to find out, sanding the edges should solve that.

Any key cutter could make that mistake.

I've never had problems with any other key they cut for me (I went through a phase of locking my keys in the car...).

ThaJokaa

Buildin..???
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Once I had a problem with a dealer cut key. They cut it using my VIN. It stuck in the ignition (not the doors) and wouldn't come out. Come to find out, sanding the edges should solve that.

Any key cutter could make that mistake.

I've never had problems with any other key they cut for me (I went through a phase of locking my keys in the car...).
lol yea thats how i got mine done bu the vin but it opens the door only the driver one but not the trunks or passenger

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh I had immobolizer problems with a Maxima before, wasn't fun at all. :(

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i was readin somewhere that "they have a chip in the key that works w/your immobilizer in the steering column. The car won't start if you get the key from a hardware store." I'm glad that we don't have to worry 'bout that =)

went to Walmart today & was told that I could also get one @Home Depot.

Ominous G2

ClubIntegra.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wal-Mart cut a key for me, they f**ked it up. So if i use that key, I have to push it the whole way in then back it out a hair.

killer_siller

my real car is a toyota
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as previously said, dealerships can cut your key for less than 10 bucks. then you get an actual honda key, and have a choice of 3-4 different OEM honda keys that will all fit a civic. our dealership could cut from a vin number OR copy a key. i would have them cut from the vin, take it out to the car, and try it in every lock. if it doesn't open them all, walk back in and tell them so. have them COPY the key you have and try again. if it still doesn't work, it's normally less than $150 to get NEW lock cylinders w/ keys (all of them for the whole car). it would be wise to buy them, as locks that are worn enough to not take a new key will probably be trouble in the near future.