Timing Belt Broke...

faster_thn_hell

Consummate Honda Dork
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I need some suggestions. Would it be cheaper to buy another motor than to buy the parts to fix my D16A6? I also have a head from a Z6 which I could put on if the A6 pistons didn't get ruined. What are the chances of that?

What should I do?

Also, it would be nice if somebody would tell me there's a chance that my motor is fine and I just need to buy a new timing belt(wishful thinking...).

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, since your saying that your pistons are messed up, i would say pull the motor and build it. replace all the internals, and use the Z6 head and get it built for high and low rpm power. but thats my idea for it. you wouldnt have your car for a while, but hey, you only would have to pay 60 a month for insurence if you tell them its not running and its sitting in your driveway.

faster_thn_hell

Consummate Honda Dork
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually I haven't taken the head off yet, so I'm not sure if the pistons are ruined or not. I'm hoping they're not. That would make things easier and cheaper. The chance of the valves not being damaged is like zip, so I guess trying a new timing belt wouldn't help any.

Word of Advice: If you don't remember the last time you changed your timing belt then it's time for a new one!

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm 90% sure that you won't be able to simply change the belt, likely your valves collided with the pistons. I would probably swap mine if it happened but then again i don't have spare parts lying around.

I got lucky in my 90 prelude tho, snapped the belt, that motor didn't have conflicting valves so it didn't hurt anything, new belt, ran like new.

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
non-vtec engines are non interfearence or how ever you spell it i snapped a belt on my old rex slapped a new belt on, all DOHC and all vtec engines will smash valves.

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm 90% sure that you won't be able to simply change the belt, likely your valves collided with the pistons. I would probably swap mine if it happened but then again i don't have spare parts lying around.

I got lucky in my 90 prelude tho, snapped the belt, that motor didn't have conflicting valves so it didn't hurt anything, new belt, ran like new.
yeah, thats lucky

Actually I haven't taken the head off yet, so I'm not sure if the pistons are ruined or not. I'm hoping they're not. That would make things easier and cheaper. The chance of the valves not being damaged is like zip, so I guess trying a new timing belt wouldn't help any.

Word of Advice: If you don't remember the last time you changed your timing belt then it's time for a new one!
LOL! yea, now that you mentioned it, i should changed mine

non-vtec engines are non interfearence or how ever you spell it i snapped a belt on my old rex slapped a new belt on, all DOHC and all vtec engines will smash valves.
didnt know that, i thought that even single cams would smash valves....hmmm...

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm i never knew that, if true then my 90% sure thing is out the door lol

faster_thn_hell

Consummate Honda Dork
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought almost all Honda engines are interference engines. I just Googled it and I cant find a straight answer. Some say "yes", some say "no". ???

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well im just saying from personal experience that I snapped my crx's belt and i just cranked it and was like wtf? just a loud spinning whine noise, then i found that and I read up about it and just dropped a new belt on and drove it home. this was on a d15 dx crx also non-vtec but still, a local race shop here told me vtec and DOHC engines are the valve eaters.

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
instead of doing the big project first just drop a belt on it and time it, if its fixed its fixed, if not then pull the head the pistons should have valve releases in them (small dents from factory) that give your pistons some clearance from the valves if it jumps so they wont get damaged, I know DSM's have them I'v built them for awhile.

Last edited:

99CivicSiBrian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not true. A customer Del Sol I swapped a B16 into had a belt break at about 45mph. Put a new belt on and it ran fine!
B

CRXsiterror

I EAT EVO's
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well he was lucky then. read a honda manual, would you like one? pay shipping i have a tun\.

faster_thn_hell

Consummate Honda Dork
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So its just a matter of luck? Hmm. I guess I'll buy a new timing belt and see what happens.

faster_thn_hell

Consummate Honda Dork
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I put the new timing belt on today and it started up! It made a horrible noise and cylinder #1 had a problem - it was running like an exhaust valve was stuck open. But after letting it warm up I slowly revved it to high RPMs and then it ran fine again. No problems yet. Yay!

So I think I got the whole interference thing figured out. Honda does label their engines as interference engines, but:

"Given that, in reality the Honda engine isn't a "true" interference engine. They gave just enough clearance between the valves and the pistons that, assuming there's not a lot of buildup on the valves, you won't hit if the timing belt breaks. That's a really big assumption, and Honda is afraid of lawsuits: if someone was running an ill-maintained, crudded-up engine that Honda claimed was noninterference, broke the timing belt and bent four or five valves, their first stop would be a lawyer: "But they SAID it was a noninterference engine!" They cover their asses by claiming the engine is interference. This way you can be happy if you break a timing belt and not bend any valves, and you won't sue if you do bend a few."
This may not be true for all Honda engines, but it makes sense.

4doorcivic16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
word ive had 2 single cam non vtec timing belts snap on me and i just put one on my cuznts ls that snapped

Superman5715

5+ Year Member
had a b16 belt snap at about 65 but i immediately turned off the motor and i was lucky, did a compression test, almost perfect compression in every cylinder..... but then again its the magic b16 (long story) so its not too surprising, glad to hear your up and running