When To Shift

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Before I had a car, I used to play NEED FOR SPEED: Underground (the first one anyways). From a Drag race mode, thats when I learned how to shift =) Its all 'bout timin, u don't want to shift & switch gear too early (basically, before the needle hits the red line) or too late (the rpm will drop). However, this method doesn't seem to work in real life.

I suck @ driving manual aka stick right now :( For example, im not quite sure when to properly switch gear (while accelerating). I go w/ the noice. I usually shift around 4 - 4.5 x 1000 rpm. If I try to go above that, the engine will rev really hard, especially the 1st & 2nd gears. Just wonderin if anyone here actually wait 'til the needle hits the red line & shift.

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
u shouldn't get on it that hard. ur gas mileage would be terrible.

d00dle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
U think so? I thought I should push it harder 'til it hits the red line. So far, I have been using only 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears since i don't drive on the freeway ('bout 45 mph max).

silverctr

Whaddaya lookin' at?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I usually shift before 3k rpm. Saves gas and money.

JAYYS

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you drive 45 in 3rd thats bad shift at lik 2000 or 2500 normal driving and if ur trying to go fast hit lik 5 overall u should always be in the highest gear possible

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
2000 is WAY too low.

I shift at 2700. You are driving your car too hard, I bet your gas mileage hates you!

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
highest gear possible is correct. Unless you're racing your ass to work or school

look in your manual for reccomended shift points, i think it says in there like

1st at 15
2nd at 25
3rd at 35
4th 45
5th(cruising gear you always want to try to be at)

if it that makes it easier for you... lol and if you want to consume least gas possible to attain a certain speed. that's what transmissions were created.

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The manual says for best fuel economy

1st to 2nd 15mph (24km/h)
2nd to 3rd 27mph(43km/h)
3rd to 4th 39mph(63km/h)
4th to 5th 53mph(85km/h)

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For racing, you want to shift at the RPM you make the most power. On a y7, its 6200rpm (I think). Anything after that, you lose power.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For racing, you want to shift at the RPM you make the most power. On a y7, its 6200rpm (I think). Anything after that, you lose power.
actually shifting slightly past peak hp so the next gear puts you closer to peak hp can shave a tenth or two

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I find that I usually shift around 3K, When I drive my dad's car it's usually about 4K though out of first cuz first gear is so short on his car.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
highest gear while driving is best.. i always shift between 2.5 and 3 daily driving.... racing about 5 maybe a little over.. you want to get to the highest gear for your mph... a perftect scale..
1st at 15
2nd at 25
3rd at 35
4th 45
5th(cruising gear you always want to try to be at)

your first mistake was trying to learn from a purely fictional medium... but with no other experience i guess I could see that...

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if traffic is hard, i shift later than the norm/ maybe 4k? if im alone. i take it easy and shift at 3k. follow trafiic speed. i gun my Y8 all the way to 7k when i push it. fun, but not for everyday.

sc7

5+ Year Member
Driving around, the lower the RPM, the better. Not only for fuel economy, but also it keeps your engine in better shape to not have it constantly revving. I'd recommend shifting when you get between 2500-3500 RPM.

Going that high is only for performance (I believe peek for performance shift is 6000), but since that's not what you're aiming for, I can guarantee you're driving in 3rd at way too high an RPM.

obracer12's scale hit it pretty much on the head with speeds to shift at.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I shift at 3,284 rpms in every gear.

Cassidy

5+ Year Member
Shift between 2.5-3k (usually closer to three) if you are just driving from point A to point B. You'll get used to your car as you drive more and it will be second nature eventually. And word of advice, don't race until you learn how to drive stick at least decently lmao.