who knows alot about .22 rifles?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Before I begin, I know nothing about guns / rifles. So bare with me.

I want to get a .22 rifle. Why a .22? Just because I'm new to guns and I want to start off with small game / target stuff. I've shot a .30-30 deer rifle before and a 20 gauge shotgun and that's not something I want to jump into as a beginner lol. I've been down to my buddy's camp near the lake tons of times and we've shot his .22 a few times and I just love it. It's easy and fun. Besides, I know they're pretty cheap.

I went to Gander Mountain earlier and talked to one of the guys at the firearm section and he seemed to know a s**t ton. He recommended this Ruger 10/22 and I pretty much loved it the moment I held it and aimed it up. I didn't like some of the other .22's because the stock / sights didn't fit my neck / head / shoulder very well. I had to lift my head up off the stock to be able to get the sights aimed up and stuff. I probably held somewhere around 15-20 different .22's and the Ruger one seemed to feel the best.

Anyone else have recommendations? My price cap is $200, which would allow me to get that Ruger 10/22. I plan on getting a shotgun later on to do clay pigeon shooting with my buddy since he does it too.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ruger 10/22

/thread

i have 3... and the 17hmr lever action version... and the charger pistol version....
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=4901&return=Y

if you ask 1000 gun nuts, 995 of them will recommend the 10/22 as your first .22 rifle
it's just one of those things.... the basics for modding a civic are i/h/e... the basics for buying your first .22 rifle is "10/22"

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Posted on a few boards and everyones been saying to go for the 10/22 lol.

Any reason why they call it "10/22" anyways?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Posted on a few boards and everyones been saying to go for the 10/22 lol.

Any reason why they call it "10/22" anyways?
it's the factory name code

with the factory clip, it holds 10 rounds of 22 ammo

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

Do you think it'd be necessary to get a scope for it? Or extra clips? Any other accessories? I don't want to go too nuts and spend a ton of money on a .22.

I've shot both with regular sights and a scope before and I'll honestly say I like both :what:. I like the scope because the fact that it's a little easier to shoot a target that's far away (not to mention it looks cool :lol:).

SubaruDriftBoy

5+ Year Member
the 10/22 has to be the most common .22 long rifles ever, they make stocks, clips,barrels, everything you can imagine, id suggest just a scope or a nice set of fiber optic sights, and an extra clip or two, also get larger clips, i believe at cabela's where i work we sell a 50 round or a 100 round 10/22 clip.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have a remington model 597. It is a great gun. If you are feeling frisky get some over under sights and a good small/medium scope for it and set it in for about 50-75 yards. The ammo is really cheap and they are really fun to shoot. I have a .22, a .22 magnum, a single shot 12 guage, a mossberg pump shotgun, a Savage .270(yeah, I know, but it is a good gun with comparable cheap price. It kills stuff just the same so I'd say it is a good gun) I need to buy a .357 revolver. I just like a dual action revolver for some reason, not the fancy shmancy auto guns. Lots of power in a very tried and true durable package. Mix that in with full moon rounds and you have a fast reloading, very powerful, revolver. And by the way, the ruger 10/22 is a great .22 caliber rifle. I just liked the feel of my Remington. Either way, it is a good start.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have an old springfield .22 when i say old.....i mean like from the 40s. i shot it once. not my style. back a few years ago i bought a semi auto savage 22 from walmart for 110 bux. shot many of signs with that. thats about it... ive got an SKS now and havent shot it since i bought it 2 years ago :(

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
10/22 is a good choice, ton of accessories available!

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get a bb gun ;)

I had a ruger 10/22 and it was well a .22 :lol: I bought it for a $100 bucks and it came with a 30 round banana clip. :shock:
I wish I would have never sold it. :(

lilwhitecoupe

Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A 10/22 was the first gun my parents bought me at 10 years of age. I definitely have enjoyed every year shooting it, the Ruger is ftmfw invest in upgraded clips 25 banana clip, and possibly a scope definitely will increase your range to 100+ yards and be accurate.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah Def the Ruger, there's really no equal for .22 rifles.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I do have a bb gun. It's a pistol. Daisy 15XTP. I was thinking about getting a break action bb rifle but they're like $100-$150. And at that point, I figured I might as well get a .22 rifle for slightly more.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I do have a bb gun. It's a pistol. Daisy 15XTP. I was thinking about getting a break action bb rifle but they're like $100-$150. And at that point, I figured I might as well get a .22 rifle for slightly more.
I paid like $50 bucks for my bb gun and it will drop a squirl just like DJ Magic Mike used to drop that bass. :lol:

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol the Ruger plant that makes those is 8 miles from here. If you work there you get one free gun, choice between a handgun and the 10/22, most people take the .22.

2000 EKCivicEX

i VTAK
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i really like my rem 597 came with the scope it was only like 200 bucks and they have plenty of stuff for it i already grabbed the 30 round banana clip for it

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe a Marlin Model 60SS?

I'd have to check with my sister-in-law to see if that's significantly less than a 10/22.