spark plug gapping

james79s

5+ Year Member
Hey guys.. another in my long line of questioning!

I am replacing the plugs in my 04 civic, the NGK plugs I bought are the ones specified for the car, and the gap specs for the plugs (I found it on the NGK website) are the same as the gap specs for the car, so do I still need to use a gapper to verify this, or just toss them in?

The car specs are 0.04" and the NGK specs are 0.044"

My brother in law seems to think that you should always verify the gap anyway... any thoughts?

Thanks...

James

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
are they regular copper plugs (V-power)? if so then yes check them to make sure. if iridium IX, then no since the center electrode is too fragile and gap is preset. i believe double plats do not need gapping either. it will tell you if you need to gap them on the spark plug package.

Show Me Them Titties
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
should say on the box if they are pre-gapped or not, but i dont think it would hurt to check

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lordy theres been like 523033589 million threads Use the search button before making yet another ad to the long list of post that have been answered time in and time out. Btw the answer to the question is no unless their copper. Unless your racing you don't need to gap.

james79s

5+ Year Member
lordy theres been like 523033589 million threads Use the search button before making yet another ad to the long list of post that have been answered time in and time out. Btw the answer to the question is no unless their copper. Unless your racing you don't need to gap.
Relax man... it took you longer to post that than it would of to just answer.

james79s

5+ Year Member
are they regular copper plugs (V-power)? if so then yes check them to make sure. if iridium IX, then no since the center electrode is too fragile and gap is preset. i believe double plats do not need gapping either. it will tell you if you need to gap them on the spark plug package.
Yes V-Power... ok I will check them

james79s

5+ Year Member
should say on the box if they are pre-gapped or not, but i dont think it would hurt to check
It says to gap them to factory specs, but as I said, the factory specs match the gapping that are already on the plugs...

james79s

5+ Year Member
I gapped them, the pre gap was actually bang on... only takes a few seconds per plug though, definitely worth it.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
V-powers are garbage, i snapped one off with so little effort. Some other guy with a k24 did too.